Re: [AFA Ferret] Re: Have a question.

  • Chrys Simmons
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 31, 2007
      thank you, no we didn't sign anything. i have checked with my hubby (he talked
      with her while i was at work, and made sure she said to a new home). she said
      yes. i will get them to a vet next week, i have my other two new ones going
      this week. i am more concerned about them as they were at a shelter. (free due
      to a rescue). thank you. where do you live? i am trying to find someone help
      me find a way to transport 4 cages from texas to casper, wyoming (5 hours from
      denver). they cost to much to ship and we are trying to find someone who may
      be driving through the area. the lady is generous to offer them we just gotta
      get them here. need help. i have been in touch with the coordinator for ferret
      transportation and said she would check with her contacts.....i had a terrible
      thing come up over the weekend, short story, i am in need of 3-4 ferret nation
      cages used.....will email you later with story...if you want to penpal it.

      On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:00:37 -0000
      "Clover Williams" <rezgrrl@...> wrote:
      > I'm thinking you didn't sign anything saying she gets them back. If she
      > comes back within a week, you may have a problem--but she won't. If she
      > comes back way down the road, she abandoned them, right? And save your
      > ad--which says HOME not free ferretsitting. Plus, have vet records and
      > lots of lovely pictures of your ferrets (proving that they're yours) by
      > that time.

    • DebraJean
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 31, 2007
        Beth and everyone else,

        You need to understand that there is still that 1%+ that will fight
        you to get their pet back. Without a signed surrender form, you could
        someday be looking at a lawsiut against you, just because you felt it
        wasn't neccissary to have the previous owners sign the forms.

        My friend had this happen to her, after she adopted someones ferret
        out to someone else. She had to refund the adoptors money and return
        the ferret to the original owner, all because she didn't have the
        original owner sign a surrender form. Is it realy worht it to skip
        this proccess, I think NOT.

        Debi

        --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, Beth Randall
        <beth@...> wrote:

        > People tell us all the time that they want us to take in their pet
        until they get settled, or find a house, or get a new job or
        whatever & to date no one has ever tried to reclaim a pet that they
        left here. I agree that they think it makes them feel less guilty for
        not taking care of their animals.
        > even tho we are a sanctuary we dont have people sign a release of
        ownership- i think it would put off some people and then the animal
        would stay in bad conditions - so it isnt worth that chance for us-
        > dont worry about it - the previous owner wont contact you again
        > and thanx for taking in ferrets that need homes- if only more
        folks would do that instead of just buying them! there are alwasy
        ferets on petfinder that need homes and not jsut at shelters- they
        are in the classifieds on petfinder.com, too-
        > take care,
        > beth
        > www.crittercamp.biz

      • Chrys Simmons
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
          I spoke with our friend who is a sheriff's deputy yesterday and he said we
          don't have to give them back. He is starting up a ferret rescue here in town.
          And we just had three other ferrets given to us yesterday, he lives around the
          corner from the lady's house and we stopped by so he could see the ferrets.
          The other lady who gave us King Tut and Osiris hasn't called or been by yet.
          So I am keeping my fingers crossed she doesn't. But I AM not giving them back
          just to have them come back later down the road. We have already bonded with
          them and they with the others. They were looked at and are fine.

          On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:49:48 -0000
          "DebraJean" <debifuzzyloving@...> wrote:
          > Beth and everyone else,
          >
          > You need to understand that there is still that 1%+ that will fight
          > you to get their pet back. Without a signed surrender form, you could
          > someday be looking at a lawsiut against you, just because you felt it
          > wasn't neccissary to have the previous owners sign the forms.
          >
          > My friend had this happen to her, after she adopted someones ferret
          > out to someone else. She had to refund the adoptors money and return
          > the ferret to the original owner, all because she didn't have the
          > original owner sign a surrender form. Is it realy worht it to skip
          > this proccess, I think NOT.
          >
          > Debi

        • Clover Williams
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
            Don't trust the one in Layton. I'm blanking out on the name, but I believe that was a
            notorius hoarder who is actually forbidden to keep animals. She runs various sympathy
            scams and was the cause of a huge rescue some year back.
          • David C Crump Jr
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 2, 2007
              I am a Shelter and have been on both sides . There is too much expense involved for her to take you to court, and the police are not readily able to do anything UNLESS YOU SIGNED A PROMISSORY TO RETURN This why I always have people sign a release of ownership If this woman ever returns simply tell her NO! or you could tell her I'll be glad to return them as soon as you pay me for XXX amount of dollars for services( VET, FOOD, CARE ETC ) Mr Fuzzy is not so attractive when they are presented with a bill for services rendered . Until that time arrives that she shows up and is willing to pay the ungodly amount of that I know you feel it is worth (100,000.00) YOU AND THE FUZZY HAVE A GREAT LIFE! - In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, sara levien <tigerlily1117@...> wrote:

              > I agreen that you should just move on. I work in an animal shelter and 99.999% of the time they give up an animal they don't come back. I would advise that you take some pictures of the new ferrets in your home, with you and your other ferrets too as this can serve as proof of ownership in the future.
              >

              > To: AmericanFerretAssociation@...: achrys68@...: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 01:20:13 +0000Subject: [AFA Ferret] Have a question.
              >

              > Here is the situation. I am not sure how to handle it. Okay, we posted in an in the local paper offering a home for an unwanted ferret. A lady call Friday and told my hubby (Jeff) that she had 2 that needed a home. She is gonna be moving and needs to rehome them. Okay, so she shows up Friday night with both of them and a cage. She brings food, waterbottle, essentials. Says goodbye and then makes a comment about possibly taking them back if she finds a place to have them. My problem is I don't have any intentions on giving them back. She told Jeff before she came that it was a give to a home thing. I did not have her sign anything saying she was released of ownership, I know I should have. But since she stated to him before showing up that this was a give to us thing. I just talked with Jeff and he says no they will not go back. Do I just forget about and go on my merry way. He says to. Or call her and tell her that she needs to sign something and make a big deal out of it. I think I should just get on with life and not worry about it. They are in a forever home and will be very well taken care of. They have seen the others and all is accepted. They are just great. Please advise. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to contact her and have her sign something. I know then she will want them back.

              > Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Caf?. Stop by today.
              > http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_OctWLtagline

            • Chrys Simmons
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 2, 2007
                thanks dave....

                On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 18:32:58 -0000
                "David C Crump Jr" <woody669@...> wrote:
                > I am a Shelter and have been on both sides . There is too much expense
                >involved for her to take you to court, and the police are not readily able to
                >do anything UNLESS YOU SIGNED A PROMISSORY TO RETURN This why I always have
                >people sign a release of ownership If this woman ever returns simply tell
                >her NO! or you could tell her I'll be glad to return them as soon as you pay
                >me for XXX amount of dollars for services( VET, FOOD, CARE ETC ) Mr Fuzzy
                >is not so attractive when they are presented with a bill for services
                >rendered . Until that time arrives that she shows up and is willing to pay
                > the ungodly amount of that I know you feel it is worth (100,000.00) YOU AND
                >THE FUZZY HAVE A GREAT LIFE! - In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com,

              • Vickie Lusk
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 2, 2007
                  I have just join and have been following this thread.... I think this is a lesson we all should
                  learn from... get a paper stating that the person or persons are surrendering these animals
                  to you.... I know I will I have 7 rescues and expecting two more tomorrow and I can't even
                  began to imagine giving them up.....
                  Vickie

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 4, 2007
                    --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, "Vickie Lusk"
                    <VLUSK@...> wrote:

                    > I have just join and have been following this thread....

                    Same here.

                    Have you considered asking your vet to microchip them for you? Save
                    the advert, microchip them if the vet does this service and feels it
                    will not harm the fuzzies, and move on. As a bonus, if they ever do
                    get lost, there's a chance someone will turn them into a shelter,
                    rescue or vet who will think to check for an ID chip and then be able
                    to return them to you.

                    To be fair, I live in an area with limited ferret care resources (at
                    least until I move, WITH my animal!, next year) and microchipping
                    isn't terribly common even with dogs and cats. It may not be an
                    option, but I thought I would suggest it, in case it is, and in case
                    it is okayed with your vet.

                    I agree that it sounds like she was feeling a pang of guilt over the
                    abandonment and wanted to mitigate the impression she was giving of
                    being an irresponsible (former) owner. Every animal I've had "dumped"
                    with me has never been reclaimed, be it cat or ferret or rabbit or
                    whatever. I would have refused if they had tried to take them back,
                    too, given that those animals were with me for years afterwards, and
                    each time there was not one peep heard from the "dumper" ever again.

                    As was noted, unless she was moving to an area that still considers
                    ferrets "wild animals" and forbids them by law, there's no good excuse
                    for dumping any of your dependent-upon-you family members just because
                    you move, and just because they happen to have four feet and fur
                    instead of just two feet.

                    Enjoy your new family members, and thank you for taking on the care
                    and responsibility for them.

                    Cheers,
                    Milla