right adrenal

  • Cynthia Zientek
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2007
      Hello Everyone,

      The vet said my little girl needs right adrenal surgery. She is almost
      7 years old and other than this very healthy. The cost will be around
      $2300.00 but I dont know of any other vets in Houston that will do
      this. Can I get your opions please? One vet there says no just get
      the Lupron shots because of her age, the other vet there says she is
      still very healthy and do the surgery.

      Thanks for any and all advice.
      Cindy and my sweetest little Slick
    • Jane Bradley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2007
      • Teresa Rouse
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2007
          Wow! that seems like a lot of money for Adrenal
          Surgery. I live in the Chicago land area and paid
          around 800.00 for my little girls surgery. Surgery
          actually cures the disease(unless it comes back six
          months later like it did on my ferret Poco). Lupron
          just manages the disease. I hope this helps!

          Teresa
          --- Cynthia Zientek <cindyzie@...> wrote:

          > Hello Everyone,
          >
          > The vet said my little girl needs right adrenal
          > surgery. She is almost
          > 7 years old and other than this very healthy. The
          > cost will be around
          > $2300.00 but I dont know of any other vets in
          > Houston that will do
          > this. Can I get your opions please? One vet there
          > says no just get
          > the Lupron shots because of her age, the other vet
          > there says she is
          > still very healthy and do the surgery.
          >
          > Thanks for any and all advice.
          > Cindy and my sweetest little Slick

          your feelings good or bad, are not the masters of your life, they are merely moments within it.
          Teresa

          that gives answers, not web links.
        • Joan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2007
            Good Lord!!
            I just had my 3+yr old Beka in for an andrenalectomy.
            with the take home amoxicillin, the total cost was $285.

            Mind you, my Vet hospital isn't state-of-the-art, cryosurgically
            inclined-he does things the old fashioned way, but that price is
            extremely high, left or right!
            I'd look into other ferret Vets, even if you had to travel farther.

            -- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, "Cynthia Zientek"

          • Jade769x@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2007
              I agree. That is really expensive. I paid $300 for Kai's adrenalectomy
              before Christmas. It was his left one but I had another ferret have
              them both out and I know it wasn't more than $500 for that surgery. It
              is really up to you whether or not to have surgery. Kai was 7 when he
              had his and he came through just fine. I know a lot of people feel 7 is
              too old for surgery, but if your fuzzy is in great health and you want
              to do it, go for it. Surgery is the only cure for adrenal. Lupron is
              great for ferrets that are not surgical candidates, but it is not a
              cure. It does help maintain quality of life, but it won't work forever.

              I would find another vet if you want to do the surgery though. That
              just seems fishy to me.

              Molly