Re: tumble toy help?

  • dav_and_frances_vandenbroucke
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
      --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, sesshoumaru616@...
      wrote:

      >> My boyfriend was playing with gir with tumble toy squeaking it. Gir
      was going nuts he looked happy wag his tail and duking and so Clinton
      keep on playing with him. then he gir out of nowhere bit him and
      latched on to his wrist hard broke skin a little, Clinton picked him
      up and said no. Then when we put him a way we thought that he hiss as
      us. Clinton put his finger in cage and gir gave him kiss. When
      squeaked it again to see if it was the toy gir tried the same thing
      again. Clinton is a bit nervous now because of the utter oddness of
      the episode gir has never done anything like that, and has always been
      Clinton little buddy,what Could be doing this obviously something with
      the toy but is this unusual? are there just some toys or sounds that
      could set them off? Or could he have just got way to carried away into
      hunting mood chasing the toy? and most importantly will this change
      his demeanor? <<

      Some ferrets really dislike squeak toys. Some people claim that it's
      because the squeaking hurts their ears or reminds them of distress
      calls. I don't pretend to know the reason myself, but I do know that
      if you have one of those ferrets, she will get angry and bite when you
      use a squeak toy. She may grab the toy and take it away from you, but
      she's not playing! So I suggest you just find other toys to play
      with. Try jingle balls instead.

      Dav Vandenbroucke
      davanden at cox dot net
    • ferretboysandgirls
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
        I have been told by many people that some squeaky toys sound like
        other ferrets in trouble so the ferret will bite thinking they are
        saving another ferret. About half of the 20 ferrets I have at my
        rescue will bite when I squeak a certain toy. The others just coming
        running thinking they are going to get a treat.

        hallee

        wrote:

        > My boyfriend was playing with gir with tumble toy squeaking it. Gir
        was going nuts he looked happy wag his tail and duking and so Clinton
        keep on playing with him. then he gir out of nowhere bit him and
        latched on to his wrist hard broke skin a little, Clinton picked him
        up and said no. Then when we put him a way we thought that he hiss as
        us. Clinton put his finger in cage and gir gave him kiss. When
        squeaked it again to see if it was the toy gir tried the same thing
        again. Clinton is a bit nervous now because of the utter oddness of
        the episode gir has never done anything like that, and has always
        been Clinton little buddy,what Could be doing this obviously
        something with the toy but is this unusual? are there just some toys
        or sounds that could set them off? Or could he have just got way to
        carried away into hunting mood chasing the toy? and most importantly
        will this change his demeanor?

        __
        across the web, free AOL Mail and more.

      • elaine
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
          --- In
          AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, "dav_and_frances_vandenbrou
          cke" <davanden@...> wrote:

          > Some ferrets really dislike squeak toys. Some people claim that
          it's
          > because the squeaking hurts their ears or reminds them of distress
          > calls. I don't pretend to know the reason myself, but I do know
          that
          > if you have one of those ferrets, she will get angry and bite when
          you
          > use a squeak toy. She may grab the toy and take it away from you,
          but
          > she's not playing! So I suggest you just find other toys to play
          > with. Try jingle balls instead.
          >
          > Dav Vandenbroucke
          > davanden at cox dot net

          my sweet little ferret pepper will never ever bite but if you play
          the elctronic game of yahtzee he will go crazy . he came running over
          and latched onto my arm i think it really really hurts his ears. if
          the other kids play with a squeaky toy he will go back to bed and
          hide so i took them away and replaced with other toys. i think that
          certain sounds hurt their ears.

        • leah R.
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
            My little ferret hisses every time I bring out a specific toy- I don't know what it is but she'll hiss and hiss and hiss.  So in my opinion there are specific toys they have different reactions too.
            Leah

            sesshoumaru616@... wrote:
[...]

          • Jane Bradley
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
              A ferret actually tore a muscle in my husband's arm after being awakened
              by a squeaky toy. We were at a friends house. The ferret woke up in an
              absolute frenzy, running at top speed and trying to bite everyone it ran
              to. Unfortunately, my husband was sitting in the floor. The ferret
              latched on to his inner arm. Every time he was able to get it loose, it
              would latch on again, shaking his head each time. The part of the muscle
              he was holding onto tore loose. It did heal fine but was painful in the
              process.
              Needless to say, we are now very careful and seldom squeak a toy any more!
              Jane

            • sesshoumaru616@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
                 Ty all that helped. we try taking out the squeaker out and gir loves the toy he is not biting hard maybe a playful nip, he is doing dance of joy.

              • Joan
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2007
                  My departed Rusty was of the opinion that the squeaker of the sqeeky-toy should be
                  thoroughly chomped, and did so at every chance beyond the 3 squeeks for snacktime.
                  He thought of it like a loud sound of fingernails on a chalkboard, or some such madening
                  noise. Out of 14 hearing ferrets, he was the only one so irritated by that noise.
                  Joan

                  -- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, sesshoumaru616@... wrote:

                  > My boyfriend was playing with gir with tumble toy squeaking it. Gir was going nuts he
                  looked happy wag his tail and duking and so Clinton keep on playing with him. then he gir
                  out of nowhere bit him and latched on to his wrist hard broke skin a little, Clinton picked
                  him up and said no. Then when we put him a way we thought that he hiss as us. Clinton
                  put his finger in cage and gir gave him kiss. When squeaked it again to see if it was the toy
                  gir tried the same thing again. Clinton is a bit nervous now because of the utter oddness
                  of the episode gir has never done anything like that, and has always been Clinton little
                  buddy,what Could be doing this obviously something with the toy but is this unusual? are
                  there just some toys or sounds that could set them off? Or could he have just got way to
                  carried away into hunting mood chasing the toy? and most importantly will this change his
                  demeanor?

                  > Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free
                  access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more.