Re: [AFA Ferret] Re: Ferret Info

  • Jade769x@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2006
      I still feel it's better to rescue than to get a baby. I understand where you are coming from as far as training them from babies, but they are not like puppies. You can train a 2 year old as easily as a baby. Plus, if it is your first ferret, a rescue is an easier adjustment generally because they are often litter trained and nip trained already. I would agree with you as far as dogs go and if we were talking puppies I would be all for going to a good breeder. And I'm not saying that going to a ferret breeder is bad. So many people don't do their research as you are doing and get babies, then find out they can't handle them and give them up. The shelters are over-run with awesome ferrets that just need a loving home.

      You don't have to get more than one, but it is a lot more entertaining. :) Also, it is nice for them to have a playmate when you're not around. Just watch out for ferret math. I had two which turned into 5 very quickly. :)

      Hope that helps.

      Molly, Kai, Eva, Amigo, Eli, and Kinder