Re: [AFA Ferret] ferrets and strep throat

  • Barb Adams
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
      I agree that it is best to not take any chances. I almost lost a fuzzbutt when he stopped eating. As soon as I noticed, I took him to the vet, who asked if anyone in the family had the flu. I responded that nobody did, then I realized I had just gotten over a bout of 'mouth sores' caused by a virus. I mentioned them to the vet, and he checked the throat and sure enough, 'mouth sores'. He wasn't eating because it hurt to swallow. The vet gave him sub-q fluids, antibiotics and glucose. When I took him home, I made up some really soft, nutricious soup and he ate until he about foundered. He turned the corner and got well and was with me for several years after that.

      I have been very careful since then if I have any infections that I don't pass them on.

      Barb and the Underfoot Family