Re: [AFA Ferret] feeling guilty...should I?

  • nikki bodes
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2006
      I will say this. If you know without a doubt that you
      will not be able to give your fuzzies the attention
      they need, then you should give them up. However, if
      there is the slightest chance that you can keep them
      and give them the love they need, then don't give them
      up. Being surrendered will be very hard for them. They
      have known you for however long you've had them, and
      not having you can cause problems for them. I hope
      that helps some how.

      ~Nikki~

      --- reamk924 <reamk924@...> wrote:

      > My boyfriend has been getting abusive to me and has
      > moved out. He has
      > destroyed my big ferret cage while they were running
      > loose. Luckily, I
      > had a spare small one. One of my ferrets came from a
      > rescue. I will
      > not be able to give them the time they deserve or be
      > able to afford
      > them b/c I have to start working. I am feeling very
      > guilty about this
      > situation. What should I do?
      > I know I should turn them into the rescue, but feel
      > terrible about
      > this situation. Any suggestions?
      >
      > Deborah

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • DebraJean
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2006
        Debbie,
        Why give them up just because you have to get a job? I work full
        time and run a ferret rescue as well (Comprised of Rescues,
        Perminents & Personals). If You can devote a couple of hour a day to
        let them out and play, maybe before you go to work and after you get
        home, there's no reason for you to feel that you must give them up.
        Ferrets aclimate to new skedules very well.
        REMEMBER, It's NOT the "Quantity" of time you give them, it's
        the "QUALITY" of time they get with you.
        Debi

        --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, "reamk924"
        <reamk924@...> wrote:

        > My boyfriend has been getting abusive to me and has moved out. He
        has
        > destroyed my big ferret cage while they were running loose.
        Luckily, I
        > had a spare small one. One of my ferrets came from a rescue. I will
        > not be able to give them the time they deserve or be able to afford
        > them b/c I have to start working. I am feeling very guilty about
        this
        > situation. What should I do?
        > I know I should turn them into the rescue, but feel terrible about
        > this situation. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Deborah

      • David Swanson

          Message 4 of 10 , May 1 6:47 AM
            I entered a photo contest on Animal Attraction.com
            that has a $250 monthly prize and a $5,000 year-end
            Grand Prize. The winner is chosen by popular vote, so
            please click here

            http://www.animalattraction.com/PhotoContest.asp?PhotoID=4184

            and you’ll be taken directly to my photo where you can
            vote for me.

            thanks!!!

            -Angel and Ann, and MAC

            www.critterartandmore.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • jevanci1@swarthmore.edu
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1 9:55 AM
              reamk924 <reamk924@...> said:

              > My boyfriend has been getting abusive to me and has moved out. He has
              > destroyed my big ferret cage while they were running loose. Luckily, I
              > had a spare small one. One of my ferrets came from a rescue. I will
              > not be able to give them the time they deserve or be able to afford
              > them b/c I have to start working. I am feeling very guilty about this
              > situation. What should I do?
              > I know I should turn them into the rescue, but feel terrible about
              > this situation. Any suggestions?
              >
              > Deborah
              >

              >Why would you not have time bcs of work. Many of us work full time and
              still come home to ferret work and play. If you have time in the Am and time
              in the Pm for them, they will adjust to these play times. Give it a try
              before you give up! Joan

              --
            • Jan Hamby
              Message 6 of 10 , May 1 11:02 AM
                First off i am glad he is not living there anymore, noone deserves to be abused. Secondly if you can keep your babies-financially-then you should. It will be very hard on them to be without you I am sure and especially hard on you with everything else going on to have to lose them too. So if you can afford to keep them you should, they will adapt to your schedule. And just an idea if you can not get a big cage right away or like me just would not like to keep them caged all day...maybe if you have the space you could give them a ferret safe room to stay in while you are away. I do not know if this would work...I dont do it but I am home all day and do not have the extra space to spare, but I thought it may be something you would like to try. But even if they are in a cage...I am sure if you can devote some time each day they would love to remain with you. If you do decide that you can not keep them let all of us know and maybe we can help keep them out of a
                shelter. I do not know where you are or how many you have...but I would be willign to help.
                Janice and Beau

                nikki bodes <goddessoffate_420@...> wrote:
                I will say this. If you know without a doubt that you
                will not be able to give your fuzzies the attention
                they need, then you should give them up. However, if
                there is the slightest chance that you can keep them
                and give them the love they need, then don't give them
                up. Being surrendered will be very hard for them. They
                have known you for however long you've had them, and
                not having you can cause problems for them. I hope
                that helps some how.

                ~Nikki~

              • Nytetears
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1 1:35 PM
                  I voted for you :)

                  On 5/1/06, Angel <paulslowplacesgirl@...> wrote:
                  I entered a photo contest on Animal Attraction.com
                  that has a $250 monthly prize and a $5,000 year-end
                  Grand Prize.  The winner is chosen by popular vote, so
                  please click here

                  http://www.animalattraction.com/PhotoContest.asp?PhotoID=4184

                  and you'll be taken directly to my photo where you can
                  vote for me.

                  thanks!!!

                  -Angel and Ann, and MAC

                  www.critterartandmore.com

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                  Biology Medical assistance American
                  Message board Remember Ferret cages

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                • nikki bodes
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 1 1:43 PM
                    Angel,

                    Cute pic. Rated it. Hope you win.

                    ~Nikki~

                    --- Angel <paulslowplacesgirl@...> wrote:

                    > I entered a photo contest on Animal Attraction.com
                    > that has a $250 monthly prize and a $5,000 year-end
                    > Grand Prize. The winner is chosen by popular vote,
                    > so
                    > please click here

                    http://www.animalattraction.com/PhotoContest.asp?PhotoID=4184

                    > and you’ll be taken directly to my photo where you
                    > can
                    > vote for me.
                    >
                    > thanks!!!
                    >
                    > -Angel and Ann, and MAC
                    >
                    > www.critterartandmore.com

                    > protection around
                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • mark tomlin
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 1 7:32 PM
                      Im new here I already own a wonderful male but I wanna
                      get him a friend yet I hear a lot of stuff about being
                      deaf so how can I make sure I dont buy a deaf one
                      somone please help thanks,mark.