Re: A few questions

  • Mary
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006
      > had thicker duller claws. Is otis missing some vitamin or
      >something in his diet that would make the claws less thick? (he

      His claws sound normal to me - especially for a baby. As they get
      older, some ferrets nails get thicker.

      > Also now that I have concured the nail trimming thing. I need to
      > know how to clean the ears. Could someone please tell me exactly
      >how to do this without hurting them?

      Get Ferrets for Dummies by Kim Schilling - it's a great book with
      lots of good info in it.

      Cleaning the ear is not bad - just scruff them, get a qtip and run
      it around the ridges of the ear. I use mineral oil or spit. You can
      also drop some mineral oil down the ear canal and it will work any
      dirt up so you can use the qtip on the upper ridges.

      It would be easiest to have someone show you - do you have a ferret
      shelter nearby? What about your vet? Or another ferret owner?

      > The last thing I am wondering about is being held. They are young
      > and they seem to want to play all the time. Trying to hold and
      > cuddle them seems to me almost inpossible. They stop moving for
      > about 30 seconds then want to go again. Is this normal? I always
      > here about so and so sitting and cuddling their ferret. Are mine
      > more wild then they should be or do they just have ADHD (more then
      > normal ferrets)?

      Ferrets (especialy babies) are not usually cuddly. My one girl
      wouldn't let me hold her for more than 10 seconds until she was 2
      years old - always something better to do :) Babies are either going
      100 MPH or dead asleep. I suggest trying to hold/cuddle them while
      asleep, but be prepared to let them down often :)

      Mary
    • Retha Kappelman
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006
        Well i am not sure about everyone else, but I think the babies are babies, and need to be trained to be held and such, I started when I first got mine and could only kiss them while I wa scruffing them, but as we got used to each other it has gotten much easier for me, and now I make the kissing sound and they knwo it is time for kisses, and with Em my deaf ferret, I make eye contact and do the same, he knows it is kissy time and loves it.  I have had baby Zoey for nearly a month and have just gotten to where I can sneak a kiss or two without scruffing.  And after kisses I cuddled and rub their belly and all over to check for any new or unusual bumps, just a general checkup so to speak, then out them down to play.
        As far as hand signals, I do it with all of the not just Em, but like anyother child they hear or see only if they want to!  LOL!!!  I have learned that if Em is sleeping in the cage I can touch him or sometimes shake his box or hammock to get his attention, and other times he is waiting for me to see him, but I have sure had my scare when they are really asleep, that was very scary, to think they were dead, pick them up, shake the kiss them etc.... only for the to finally open their eyes and act like"what is YOUR problem I was sleeping~!!!"
        Hugs to you and kisses to the fuzzies
        Retha

        nytetears <nytetears69@...> wrote:
        This may seem like a silly question but otis has needle sharp claws
        even with clipping they are like cat claws almost. Loki has always
        had thicker duller claws. Is otis missing some vitamin or something
        in his diet that would make the claws less thick? (he can climb
        straight up a cloth curtian and hang there like garfield if he wants
        which annoys loki since loki can only watch.  Its not a big deal but
        holding him is painful LOL.
        Otis is 3 nonths old Loki is 5 months but we have had loki since he
        was 3 months old and I dont remember the nails being like this.

        Also now that I have concured the nail trimming thing. I need to
        know how to clean the ears. Could someone please tell me exactly how
        to do this without hurting them?

        The last thing I am wondering about is being held. They are young
        and they seem to want to play all the time. Trying to hold and
        cuddle them seems to me almost inpossible. They stop moving for
        about 30 seconds then want to go again. Is this normal? I always
        here about so and so sitting and cuddling their ferret. Are mine
        more wild then they should be or do they just have ADHD (more then
        normal ferrets)?

        BiologyMedical assistanceMammals
        AmericanMessage boardRemember

        Retha

        Yahoo! Mail

      • denalihorse@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006

          >Are mine
          >more wild then they should be or do they just have >ADHD (more then
          >normal ferrets)?

          Nope, they sound pretty normal. My weezer will sit in my lap...she's about 6. Disha and Terrapin want no parts of it....they would rather bite at my toes! Just keep up with the loving, they'll get used to it.

          As for the nails...I couldn't tell you. All three of mine think climbing curtains, couches, etc is great fun....however, getting from the couch to the counter top is quite plexing....darn nails just won't find purchase...LOL!

          ~Lyssa

        • Barb Adams
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
            Ah, yes, the SND syndrome. Sleeping, Not Dead. Most experienced ferret slaves have at one really funny episode, usually the first time they encounter it. Your precious baby is limp, won't wake up, etc, etc, etc. You panic, pick him/her up, grab the carrier, stuff him in, run to the car, race to the vets hoping they take emergencies, turn into the parking lot, grab the carrier, pick it up, and Jr looks up and yawns: 'what's up mom? Where are the treats?'

            A friend claims that if your fuzzy won't kiss, a little lick-kiss will prime the pump. Another claims she tried the technique and her fuzzbutt nipped her tongue, I haven't tried.

            Barb and the Underfoot Family

            Retha Kappelman <rusty_retha@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Alison Ross
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
              Mine are ADHD sufferers too! Carl my flop down by your feet or once in a
              while lay on the bed for a few seconds.... but don't get too excited and
              actually notice him! He'l then scoot off and play again. Swiffer just
              squirms when you pick her up unless scruffed, really tired (an unusual state
              for her) or has just woken up - then she's all kisses till she stops
              shivering. Once she's up to temperature she's off!

              Alison

              �If you think you have things under control, you are not driving fast
              enough�
              (Mario Andretti)
            • Dj Evans
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                Hi, I'm new and I got my ferret yesterday. She is litter trained and she
                is 8 weeks olds but when I got her home and set her up in her new homw
                she will not use the litter box. She's poppin in a corner near it. I
                read to put her food bowl there so I did. Any advice? And what would be
                a ferrets fave treat?

                Dj
                "I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious
                cult."
                -Rita Rudner
              • Traci Marsh