Welcome to the AFA eGroup

  • Regina Hart
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2000
      Hello all and welcome to the AFA's new eGroup message board.

      DESCRIPTION
      The American Ferret Association (AFA) eGroup welcomes everyone with
      an interest in ferrets to participate.

      Please be sure to visit the AFA eGroup home page at
      http://www.egroups.com/group/AmericanFerretAssociation

      There, you will find a message archive, calendar, chat area, and
      more. You can also subscribe to the group or change your
      subscription settings. You do not need to subscribe to the group to
      send or read posts, but by doing so you can take advantage of a
      number of subscription setting choices and other group services.

      MESSAGE BOARD POLICIES
      Questions, suggestions, comments and complaints are all welcome.
      Please remember: the board is "G" rated, and it is monitored.

      The AFA message board does not permit *Ferrets For Sale*
      advertisements. If you wish to adopt a ferret, please visit the AFA
      Shelter List.

      IMPORTANT !! This board is not intended to replace the advice and
      care of your veterinarian. If your ferret needs medical assistance,
      please take him or her to a veterinarian immediately. Remember: your
      post and subsequent replies may not appear for a few days.

      MESSAGE BOARD MODERATOR
      Gail Burlaka: gburlaka<at>earthlink.net

      Thank you for visiting!
    • bbjorkm@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2000
        Dear Regina:

        Thank you for taking the time and caring enough to try to find a
        better message board for the AFA. I appreciate your hard work, so
        please do not take this the wrong way. I do not like this message
        board for the following reasons:

        1. I cannot easily post or view messages;
        2. When I visited the previous message board, I could view all of
        the new messages and responses immediately;
        3. This new message board only appears to have 6 new messages -- I
        am 1 of 6. I may be looking at this wrong, however, this is a
        drastic reduction from the previous message board;
        4. I loved the fact that I could visit the board without having to
        sign on, and could read the posts from all of my favorite "posters".
        I felt like we had a great little family, and now it is all gone.

        I understand your concern that some of the messages disappeared
        occasionally -- mine were amongst those few -- but, would you
        consider getting the old message board back?? The old board was a
        lot better than this one, and I think you would have a lot more
        people returning to the old format. This new format is too
        complicated. I, for one, work all day, come home to a family, cook
        dinner, clean up and then go on to my computer to visit my favorite
        web sites. One of the things I really looked forward to at the end
        of the day was to sign onto the AFA site and visit with
        my "friends". That is not possible now, and I was wondering if there
        was any way to get that back.

        Thank you for your dedication to this site. It really has made a
        difference in my life.

        Sincerely,

        Betty B.
        --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@egroups.com, "Regina Hart"

      • lilywhyte@talkcity.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 20, 2000
          -Hi Gail. I saw your message on the new AFA board and decided to
          reply directly. I am "Lily" and I've been posting on the
          board for
          about 8 months now. Honestly, I do not like the new board. I agree
          that we should appreciate your time and energy finding one that's
          moderated though. -but- I post on two other boards and there format
          is much nicer. If you would like to see them, here are the links:
          http://members.boardhost.com/Thone/ and
          http://members.boardhost.com/fuzzies/ . I really did like the other
          format we had much better. First of all, I do not appreciate having
          to register my full name , email and birth-date to be able to post a
          message. I do not like having to sign in every time I want to post a
          message either. In addition, the messages are not grouped together
          in a nice, organized fashion like on the original board and this
          board (this might sound petty and dumb but still) is not pleasing to
          the eye. I don't think I will continue posting on the new board.

          Maybe once in a while, but not regularly like before. Having a
          moderated board is nice, but it can be just as good to have a board
          where offensive messages are deleted off as quickly as possible by
          the board host. That is how the other 2 boards I post on do it.
          Actually, one of the boards is out of Norway and the host asked me to
          watch the board during her night hours because of the time difference
          and so far I have not had to delete anything. She has deleted 2
          messages in about 2 months. I don't think too many people harass
          ferret boards, but I haven't been doing it long enough to say I
          suppose. In any case, sorry I've rambled on about this, but I
          really
          don't like the new board. I hope it changes back or to a
          different
          format where we are not required to register and sign in and the
          posts are organized better. Thanks for listening, "Lily"
          -Suzanne