Re: [AFA Ferret] How to controll the litter box smell!

  • Dook-Woof-Dook
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 29, 2005
      Marshalls food and duck soup will cause very smelly poops (more smelly then other foods).  The corn content in the marshall's food it the issue there, duck soup just makes for runny poops over all.  Also change bedding at least every 2 weeks, if not more.  That helps a ton.  Also stand air fresheners around, that helps.  We have 40+ ferrets in our playroom and people say they don't know it when they come into our house (which they maybe lying to me, as for I can smell a bit of odor). But hey, this is my house, if they don't like it, leave.  I like my animals, sometimes more then people!  LOL  Marguerite

      TinyPrints Ferret Rescue PetFinder Web Page
      http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.petfinder.org
      TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Store
      http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com/onlinestore.htm
      Aloha Ferrets Ebay Store
      http://stores.ebay.com/Aloha-Ferrets-Store
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 30, 2005
        We kept them on Marshalls as that is what both pet stores we got
        them from were using.
        I looked at a bunch at the store today but couldn't decide. I know
        you said it's the corn that causes the problem. Most of them had
        corn, corn meal or corn gluten.
        One brand, which now slips my mind, claimed a guarentee to have less
        litter box smell, but even that had corn gluten as the third
        ingredient. I was always taught that if an item is listed within the
        first 3 items there is a significant amount of the item in the mix.

        What food do you use? Does it have any corn ingredients in it?
        CJ

        --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, "Dook-Woof-Dook"
        <wrauenz@c...> wrote:
        > Marshalls food and duck soup will cause very smelly poops (more
        smelly then other foods). The corn content in the marshall's food
        it the issue there, duck soup just makes for runny poops over all.
        Also change bedding at least every 2 weeks, if not more. That helps
        a ton. Also stand air fresheners around, that helps. We have 40+
        ferrets in our playroom and people say they don't know it when they
        come into our house (which they maybe lying to me, as for I can
        smell a bit of odor). But hey, this is my house, if they don't like
        it, leave. I like my animals, sometimes more then people! LOL
        Marguerite

        > TinyPrints Ferret Rescue PetFinder Web Page
        > http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.petfinder.org
        > TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Store
        > http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com/onlinestore.htm
        > Aloha Ferrets Ebay Store
        > http://stores.ebay.com/Aloha-Ferrets-Store

      • Doris McGhee

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 31, 2005
                Marshall ferret food has lots of fish and that gives stinky poops
                i use a mix of marshalls, sheppard and green, ferret store food, and proplan kitten.
                lisa
              • Patricia Cook

                    I know you did not ask me, but I found that ZuPreem does not have corn in it. My kids like it. I mix it with Totally Feret. 8 and 1 and Sheppard & Greene Zu Preem is about 50% of the mix.

                    Beth from Utah

                  • KIM PRICE
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
                      And another very high quality cat food that is great for ferrets is Inova Evo. It also uses no corn.

                      Kim

                      Patricia Cook <lilmizzaniml@...> wrote:
                      One thing you might want to look into is Blue Buffalo cat food. It is considered very high quality, and even if you use it as part of a mix, it may significantly lower the amount of corn in the total amount of food your fert eats. We just started carrying the cat food at my store, but the dog food is made of all people quality ingredients and is free of corn, wheat, and I believe soy. I imagine the cat foods are the same. You can see their website at www.bluebuff.com

                      Trish

                    • Angela Hamberg
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
                        I have heard the same about the fish, that it makes their poop stink even
                        more. I had never heard that about the corn, just shows you are always
                        learning new things. I primarily use Mazuri brand which seems to be pretty
                        uncommon but is actually the easiest for me to acquire and it does have fish
                        in it.
                        I don't know if they still make it but I thought Natue's Miracle used to
                        make a powder you could sprinkle in their litter to help, but I think it was
                        expensive.
                        Also isn't there a solution by Marshall that you can add to their water that
                        is supposed to help. I have never used it but I think it is called Bio-Odor
                        or something like that.
                        And I knew someone that added baking powder to the bottom of the litter pans
                        to help with the smell.
                        Anyone else ever tried any of these things?
                        Angela

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
                          Also a good closepin on the nose works great too. lol

                          Julie

                          Jazzy, Bear, Roscoe, Scooter, Slinky, Fiona, Fizzy, Abby Sue, Polo, Al, & Sammie
                          Sidney Sue at the Rainbow Bridge (we love U)

                          Check out my quality, affordable ferret bedding, your fuzzy will love it!!!!!!!

                          http://www.theferretschoice.bravehost.com/
                          and at
                          http://stores.ebay.com/things4feritz

                        • Sara Hamilton
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
                            Based on the studies, Totally Ferret is a good ferret food, but not the
                            best. And Zupreem is about the same as Totally Ferret. The studies are
                            based on the protein content of 32-38%, fat content of 18-22%, and fiber
                            content no higher than 3%. Your food should not have corn in the first 3
                            ingredients and meat is better than meat by-products. Fish should be
                            avoided as well. The biggest thing with Totally Ferret is that the first
                            ingredient is meat by-product. The same with Zupreem, the first
                            ingredient is chicken meal. The best foods available are: 8 in 1 Ultimate
                            (NOT ULTRA), Innova Feline and Innova Feline Evo, Path Valley Chicken &
                            Rice, Professional Kitten Chicken & Rice, Royal Canin Feline #34, Natural
                            Gold, Wysong.

                            Sara Hamilton
                            Leizel's Weasels
                            www.leizelsweasels.com

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 1, 2005
                              I think that you are confusing Ultra Blend with 8 in 1 Ultimate... which
                              is one of the best foods available. 8 in 1 Ultra is one of the worst
                              foods available. It has inadequate fat content, Ground Yellow Corn is the
                              2nd ingredient and Chicken Meal is the 1st ingredient. It does have a
                              good protein content, a good fiber content and no fish. This is
                              definitely not one the best foods out there and if you are feeding this,
                              you should be mixing it with a high quality food. Please see my prior
                              post.

                              Sara Hamilton
                              Leizel's Weasels
                              www.leizelsweasels.com

                              On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:40:39 -0700 (PDT) micdhele kahle
                              <kahleml@...> writes:
                              > I used marshalls food because they said to since my babies are
                              > marshall ferrets but I couldn't take the smaell anymore so i changed
                              > their food to "Ultra Blend Select" and their poop looks normal, and
                              > the oder is gone. The reason why I switched is ultra blend is #1 on
                              > the list for ferret food. I will send the list in a few minutes so
                              > everyone can see it.
                              >
                              > Michele, Pixie, and Pan
                            • Kowatti
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 2, 2005
                                I wanted to comment on the issue of litter box smell and the Totally
                                Ferret. I have used Totally Ferret ferret food for years.I have
                                tried other foods but seem to do the best with that one. ( not
                                saying thats the only good food, just my experience). As far as the
                                litter box smell goes, I have tried a few different brands but have
                                noticed that using Johnny Cat-unscented keeps the odor undercontrol.
                                I also scoop a couple times a day and change the litter atleast 1 to
                                2 times a week depending on how much its been used.

                                --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com, Sara Hamilton
                                <mhamm8@j...> wrote:
                                > Based on the studies, Totally Ferret is a good ferret food, but
                                not the
                                > best. And Zupreem is about the same as Totally Ferret. The studies
                                are
                                > based on the protein content of 32-38%, fat content of 18-22%, and
                                fiber
                                > content no higher than 3%. Your food should not have corn in the
                                first 3
                                > ingredients and meat is better than meat by-products. Fish should
                                be
                                > avoided as well. The biggest thing with Totally Ferret is that the
                                first
                                > ingredient is meat by-product. The same with Zupreem, the first
                                > ingredient is chicken meal. The best foods available are: 8 in 1
                                Ultimate
                                > (NOT ULTRA), Innova Feline and Innova Feline Evo, Path Valley
                                Chicken &
                                > Rice, Professional Kitten Chicken & Rice, Royal Canin Feline #34,
                                Natural
                                > Gold, Wysong.
                                >
                                > Sara Hamilton
                                > Leizel's Weasels