Re: [AFA Ferret] Jealous Ways and More Problems

  • Donna Allen-Deyoe
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 7, 2001
      Samantha -

      We were in the same spot ourselves, when we bought home "Monty" 4 weeks ago.
      Our girl's Angel & Cotie at first took to him, but since have been very
      cautious. Monty is much bigger than them and that can be frightful in
      itself. They will all sleep together pretty well, except if the girl's are
      in the wrong spot in the hammock, Monty will nip at them to move, or if the
      girls are still sleeping and he's awake, he will attack them. He does now
      have a separate cage at night, after being woken up several times in the
      middle of the night! LoL I tried some ferratone behind their ears today
      and that seemed to help. At least he and Angel played and dooked it out for
      quite awhile! Angel has kept her distance from him and will not instigate
      anything, but today she was! So that's a good sign :)! Cotie being the
      baby, is getting more aggressive and will play with him and instigate alot,
      but she goes right back at him, not like angel who will back away instantly
      from him!

      Nancy's advice is good! I didn't think so at first myself, but even the
      shelter MOM said seperate cages for the them till they get used to each
      other! Eventually I hope the "time being" will be be short lived!

      I'm a new "Mom" myself, so I'm learning alot and observing. The advice from
      this site is great and I see alot of my fuzzies in every posting!

      Good-Luck, keep us posted!

      Donna, Richard, and the "fuzzies" Angel, Cotie and the "Big Guy" Monty!

      >From: "Samantha" <earthly_paradise_slc@...>
      >To: AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [AFA Ferret] Jealous Ways and More Problems
      >Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 18:56:15 -0000
      >
      >For the past two days I've been taking Jammy out of the cage ahead of
      >Pearl, usually when she's still asleep and holding him & playing with
      >him. He has started to eat a little a more. I'm not sure exactly how
      >much, but I don't have a separate cage to put him in to watch all
      >that he does. Jammy is 7 months old. He played with Pearl a lot this
      >morning. So that's a good sign. He started playing with her the same
      >way he did when she first came home. I'm hoping he continues this
      >behavior.

    • Staci
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 7, 2001
        I think I might be a bad mommy:(
        I had wrote earlier about Griffin, my 4year old Silver
        mitt. I thought he might have insulimona (spelled
        wrong). Dr Glenn told me to have blood work done. I
        did not do the blood work. Today I put my boy in to
        the tub for a bath. He and my girl were in at the
        same time. She was fine but He started hissing, he
        does every time I give him a bath. He usually stops
        after a minute or two. Instead of stopping he started
        thrashing his head under the water. He did this twice
        before I realized something was wrong. He kinda
        looked like he was diving for something, sideways. I
        took him out immediately and put him in my lap. I
        then realized his whole body was limp. He had no
        muscle control at all. I started to hypervenilate. I
        have never had to call an emergency vet and I had to
        get my yellow pages. By the time I called the
        emergency vet Griffin had started to walk off my lap.
        Of course I freaked out and did not remember to put
        honey on his gums. He is doing fine now but I want to
        know how serious is this and what happens to ferrets
        with insulimona. Seriously bad and worse. I have
        gotten on the internet and printed reports on the
        disease, that is how I knew about the honey. But this
        is his first seizure. How many are too many (besides
        the obvious answer of one is too many). What actually
        happens to their bodies, can they become paralyzed
        like a human heart attack victim??? I am calling my
        regular vet tomorrow (Monday) to talk to them. I will
        be getting blood work done as well. I just want to
        know the pros and cons to this thing.

        Thanx in advance for any info.

        -Staci, Chloe & Griffins - The Ferts

        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
      • Marie Cooper
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2001
          Staci,

          My ferret Spike was recently diagnosed with insulinoma. It, too, came on
          suddenly. I noticed him walking sideways and then kind of falling over. I
          immediately suspected insulinoma and rushed him to the emergency vet. They
          gave him plenty of fluids and he came home a day and a half later. He has
          never had a seizure or acted funny since, but has been on prednisone 2x a
          day since and usually has to be hand fed (AD - canned special diet cat
          food). I hand feed him to be certain he is getting enough to eat, and so
          that he has food in his tummy both before and after I give him the medicine
          (it is very hard on their tummies, and can cause nausea and potentially
          ulcers, that's why I like to coat his tummy with food before and after).
          Otherwise, he is pretty happy. Karo syrup works best, though, if they are
          having a seizure, so I keep some on hand at all times.

          Hope this information helps you. The sooner your vet puts your fuzzy on
          prednisone, the better. The dosage can be increased with time, and will
          need to be in order to be effective. There is also a second medication that
          can be added when the prednisone starts to become less effective, although I
          haven't gotten to that point with my guy, yet.

          Marie Cooper

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2001
            Hello!!

            How's this for bad to worse?? My boy does have
            insulinoma. I went today (finally the vet could see
            me.) He had blood work and x-rays done b/c the vet
            felt a big spleen. I do not know how large a spleen
            is suppose to be BUT his looked to be about 4x's the
            size of his kidney. The Vet said that it is a little
            too big (Actually she said it was huge) and needed to
            come out, ASAP. She said his lymphnodes looked OK so
            far but the spleen could be cancerous. OK 2nd bad to
            worse but maybe not horriendous. He does have
            insulinoma. He has been put on predisone. Today is
            his first day. He now has Nuttri-Cal. And he and my
            little girl will be on Total Ferret food as soon as I
            can find the Web site to buy it from. Karo syrup will
            also be on the grocery list:) And the vet mention A/D
            food. My ferrets have tried ferret can food and
            lifted their noses at it, but if Griffin is to hand
            fed then it might as well be something good for him:)
            3rd thing.....The Left kidney looked like a perfect
            lima bean, but his right kidney looked like a wad of
            bumps. Is this related somehow to the other things
            wrong?? It actually is whichever kidney is the
            opposite of his spleen.

            So I am going to Baker Vet in West Palm Beach Florida.
            Dr. Baker seems like she knows her ferrets and
            everything she has said is stuff I have heard from you
            all or read. I am suppose to get an estimate on a
            spennectomy (Surgery to get his spleen out and then
            exploratory surgery to get out and little
            insulinoma's) Does anyone have quotes of how much it
            cost them?? I go back in 2 weeks and I would like to
            go ahead with his surgery!! Dr. Baker wants him to
            become alittle more stable first and hopes the
            predisone will help with that. Thanks for all the
            info!!

            -Staci, Chloe & Griffin - The ferts.

            http://personals.yahoo.com
          • laura moreno
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 12, 2001
              Dear Stacy, Im so sorry your baby is so sick. I have
              been very lucky that mine hasnt gotten sick. But I
              know it will come eventually. take care, raven.

              =====
              Ravendrkwolf@...

              http://personals.yahoo.com
            • Marie Cooper
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 13, 2001
                Staci,
                First, I hope your vet's diagnosis is correct. My ferret, Blaze, was
                diagnosed with insulinoma, too, and has always had a HUGE spleen. My first
                vet was incorrect on the insulinoma. I went to another vet who said
                sometimes viral infections over a period of time may also lower their blood
                sugar, plus my first vet had fasted him for two hours! Ferrets are known
                occasionally to have enlarged spleens, but it can be cause for worries.
                Blaze just had a splenectomy about four weeks ago (to see if this would
                solve all his woes). The cost was $680. And, he is now a happy, normal
                ferret. In fact, this is the chippiest I've seen him act in about a year
                and a half.

                So, my caution to you is this...make certain that the diagnosis is in fact
                insulinoma - low blood sugar can be caused by a number of things, infection,
                not eating, ongoing illness, etc., as well as insulinoma. Second, taking
                out the spleen seems to relieve certain symptoms, but will not change his
                insulinoma status. I've spoken with several vets regarding operating on
                insulinoma ferrets and potentially taking out part of the spleen, but most
                seem to think they are better off on medication for the duration of their
                life. The pancreas can be filled with microscopic tumors that cannot be
                seen, much less removed. (I have another ferret, Spike, who was recently
                diagnosed with insulinoma; he has been on prednisone since and is doing
                well; however, just had to increase his dosage yesterday after taking him to
                the vet for not eating, etc). Surgery can be traumatic and can take a long
                amount of time to recover, especially if they currently have an illness.
                Blaze had to wait sometime to get stronger before they could operate, too.

                As for food, both Blaze and Spike are on AD. Both used to have to be hand
                fed (to make sure they would eat enough), but now Blaze will eat on his own.
                I would recommend with the Prednisone that you give some food first, then
                medicate, then give more food. This will help coat your fuzzies tummy, as
                pred can be hard on their stomachs, and can potentially lead to ulcers.

                Hope this information helps. If you want to chat more, feel free to email
                me.

                Marie Cooper

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 16, 2001
                  Staci, Chloe & Griffin

                  I'm so sorry to hear about your ferts. I know its heartbreaking. I saw
                  where you said you were getting karo syrup. Is it good for ferrets?

                  Beverly
                  badavis@...

                  Only in America do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have
                  call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to
                  in the first place.