Re: [AFA Ferret] Jealous Ways and More Problems

  • Samantha
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 7, 2001
      For the past two days I've been taking Jammy out of the cage ahead of
      Pearl, usually when she's still asleep and holding him & playing with
      him. He has started to eat a little a more. I'm not sure exactly how
      much, but I don't have a separate cage to put him in to watch all
      that he does. Jammy is 7 months old. He played with Pearl a lot this
      morning. So that's a good sign. He started playing with her the same
      way he did when she first came home. I'm hoping he continues this
      behavior.

      --- In AmericanFerretAssociation@y..., "NancyJP." <nancyjp2001@y...>
      wrote:
      > Are they caged together? If they are, you might want
      > to keep them in separate cages for now. Jammy sounds
      > like he's pretty upset. Well, he's had you to himself
      > all this time and now he has to share the attention.
      > Some ferrets just don't deal well with changes.
      > How old is Jammy? Older ferrets (over 3) who have
      > been single ferrets all their life sometimes won't
      > accept another ferret in their home.
      > The fact that he's refusing to eat is a sign that he
      > is obviously very stressed over this newcomer. You may
      > want to give them separate playtimes, too.
      > As long as Jammy continues to be stressed, I would
      > not allow too much interaction between the two, if any
      > at all.
      > Make sure he starts eating again (watch for any
      > teeth grinding) and his appetite stays up. Once he's
      > acting normally again, try letting them interact in a
      > neutral territory (not their cages); preferably a
      > large area so they can get away from each other if
      > need be. Make the interaction periods in the beginning
      > very short. If there is obvious stress again, then
      > separate them and try again another time (a few days
      > or maybe even a week or two later). Jammy may come
      > around eventually, but he may not. I've known plenty
      > of ferrets who never came around to having another
      > ferret around. Make sure you give him a lot of extra
      > attention and positive reassurance, also.
      > Keep us posted on how things go.
      >
      > ~Nancy

    • Donna Allen-Deyoe
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 7, 2001
        Samantha -

        We were in the same spot ourselves, when we bought home "Monty" 4 weeks ago.
        Our girl's Angel & Cotie at first took to him, but since have been very
        cautious. Monty is much bigger than them and that can be frightful in
        itself. They will all sleep together pretty well, except if the girl's are
        in the wrong spot in the hammock, Monty will nip at them to move, or if the
        girls are still sleeping and he's awake, he will attack them. He does now
        have a separate cage at night, after being woken up several times in the
        middle of the night! LoL I tried some ferratone behind their ears today
        and that seemed to help. At least he and Angel played and dooked it out for
        quite awhile! Angel has kept her distance from him and will not instigate
        anything, but today she was! So that's a good sign :)! Cotie being the
        baby, is getting more aggressive and will play with him and instigate alot,
        but she goes right back at him, not like angel who will back away instantly
        from him!

        Nancy's advice is good! I didn't think so at first myself, but even the
        shelter MOM said seperate cages for the them till they get used to each
        other! Eventually I hope the "time being" will be be short lived!

        I'm a new "Mom" myself, so I'm learning alot and observing. The advice from
        this site is great and I see alot of my fuzzies in every posting!

        Good-Luck, keep us posted!

        Donna, Richard, and the "fuzzies" Angel, Cotie and the "Big Guy" Monty!

        >From: "Samantha" <earthly_paradise_slc@...>
        >To: AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [AFA Ferret] Jealous Ways and More Problems
        >Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 18:56:15 -0000
        >
        >For the past two days I've been taking Jammy out of the cage ahead of
        >Pearl, usually when she's still asleep and holding him & playing with
        >him. He has started to eat a little a more. I'm not sure exactly how
        >much, but I don't have a separate cage to put him in to watch all
        >that he does. Jammy is 7 months old. He played with Pearl a lot this
        >morning. So that's a good sign. He started playing with her the same
        >way he did when she first came home. I'm hoping he continues this
        >behavior.

      • Staci
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 7, 2001
          I think I might be a bad mommy:(
          I had wrote earlier about Griffin, my 4year old Silver
          mitt. I thought he might have insulimona (spelled
          wrong). Dr Glenn told me to have blood work done. I
          did not do the blood work. Today I put my boy in to
          the tub for a bath. He and my girl were in at the
          same time. She was fine but He started hissing, he
          does every time I give him a bath. He usually stops
          after a minute or two. Instead of stopping he started
          thrashing his head under the water. He did this twice
          before I realized something was wrong. He kinda
          looked like he was diving for something, sideways. I
          took him out immediately and put him in my lap. I
          then realized his whole body was limp. He had no
          muscle control at all. I started to hypervenilate. I
          have never had to call an emergency vet and I had to
          get my yellow pages. By the time I called the
          emergency vet Griffin had started to walk off my lap.
          Of course I freaked out and did not remember to put
          honey on his gums. He is doing fine now but I want to
          know how serious is this and what happens to ferrets
          with insulimona. Seriously bad and worse. I have
          gotten on the internet and printed reports on the
          disease, that is how I knew about the honey. But this
          is his first seizure. How many are too many (besides
          the obvious answer of one is too many). What actually
          happens to their bodies, can they become paralyzed
          like a human heart attack victim??? I am calling my
          regular vet tomorrow (Monday) to talk to them. I will
          be getting blood work done as well. I just want to
          know the pros and cons to this thing.

          Thanx in advance for any info.

          -Staci, Chloe & Griffins - The Ferts

          http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
        • Marie Cooper
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 10, 2001
            Staci,

            My ferret Spike was recently diagnosed with insulinoma. It, too, came on
            suddenly. I noticed him walking sideways and then kind of falling over. I
            immediately suspected insulinoma and rushed him to the emergency vet. They
            gave him plenty of fluids and he came home a day and a half later. He has
            never had a seizure or acted funny since, but has been on prednisone 2x a
            day since and usually has to be hand fed (AD - canned special diet cat
            food). I hand feed him to be certain he is getting enough to eat, and so
            that he has food in his tummy both before and after I give him the medicine
            (it is very hard on their tummies, and can cause nausea and potentially
            ulcers, that's why I like to coat his tummy with food before and after).
            Otherwise, he is pretty happy. Karo syrup works best, though, if they are
            having a seizure, so I keep some on hand at all times.

            Hope this information helps you. The sooner your vet puts your fuzzy on
            prednisone, the better. The dosage can be increased with time, and will
            need to be in order to be effective. There is also a second medication that
            can be added when the prednisone starts to become less effective, although I
            haven't gotten to that point with my guy, yet.

            Marie Cooper

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2001
              Hello!!

              How's this for bad to worse?? My boy does have
              insulinoma. I went today (finally the vet could see
              me.) He had blood work and x-rays done b/c the vet
              felt a big spleen. I do not know how large a spleen
              is suppose to be BUT his looked to be about 4x's the
              size of his kidney. The Vet said that it is a little
              too big (Actually she said it was huge) and needed to
              come out, ASAP. She said his lymphnodes looked OK so
              far but the spleen could be cancerous. OK 2nd bad to
              worse but maybe not horriendous. He does have
              insulinoma. He has been put on predisone. Today is
              his first day. He now has Nuttri-Cal. And he and my
              little girl will be on Total Ferret food as soon as I
              can find the Web site to buy it from. Karo syrup will
              also be on the grocery list:) And the vet mention A/D
              food. My ferrets have tried ferret can food and
              lifted their noses at it, but if Griffin is to hand
              fed then it might as well be something good for him:)
              3rd thing.....The Left kidney looked like a perfect
              lima bean, but his right kidney looked like a wad of
              bumps. Is this related somehow to the other things
              wrong?? It actually is whichever kidney is the
              opposite of his spleen.

              So I am going to Baker Vet in West Palm Beach Florida.
              Dr. Baker seems like she knows her ferrets and
              everything she has said is stuff I have heard from you
              all or read. I am suppose to get an estimate on a
              spennectomy (Surgery to get his spleen out and then
              exploratory surgery to get out and little
              insulinoma's) Does anyone have quotes of how much it
              cost them?? I go back in 2 weeks and I would like to
              go ahead with his surgery!! Dr. Baker wants him to
              become alittle more stable first and hopes the
              predisone will help with that. Thanks for all the
              info!!

              -Staci, Chloe & Griffin - The ferts.

              http://personals.yahoo.com
            • laura moreno
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 12, 2001
                Dear Stacy, Im so sorry your baby is so sick. I have
                been very lucky that mine hasnt gotten sick. But I
                know it will come eventually. take care, raven.

                =====
                Ravendrkwolf@...

                http://personals.yahoo.com
              • Marie Cooper
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 13, 2001
                  Staci,
                  First, I hope your vet's diagnosis is correct. My ferret, Blaze, was
                  diagnosed with insulinoma, too, and has always had a HUGE spleen. My first
                  vet was incorrect on the insulinoma. I went to another vet who said
                  sometimes viral infections over a period of time may also lower their blood
                  sugar, plus my first vet had fasted him for two hours! Ferrets are known
                  occasionally to have enlarged spleens, but it can be cause for worries.
                  Blaze just had a splenectomy about four weeks ago (to see if this would
                  solve all his woes). The cost was $680. And, he is now a happy, normal
                  ferret. In fact, this is the chippiest I've seen him act in about a year
                  and a half.

                  So, my caution to you is this...make certain that the diagnosis is in fact
                  insulinoma - low blood sugar can be caused by a number of things, infection,
                  not eating, ongoing illness, etc., as well as insulinoma. Second, taking
                  out the spleen seems to relieve certain symptoms, but will not change his
                  insulinoma status. I've spoken with several vets regarding operating on
                  insulinoma ferrets and potentially taking out part of the spleen, but most
                  seem to think they are better off on medication for the duration of their
                  life. The pancreas can be filled with microscopic tumors that cannot be
                  seen, much less removed. (I have another ferret, Spike, who was recently
                  diagnosed with insulinoma; he has been on prednisone since and is doing
                  well; however, just had to increase his dosage yesterday after taking him to
                  the vet for not eating, etc). Surgery can be traumatic and can take a long
                  amount of time to recover, especially if they currently have an illness.
                  Blaze had to wait sometime to get stronger before they could operate, too.

                  As for food, both Blaze and Spike are on AD. Both used to have to be hand
                  fed (to make sure they would eat enough), but now Blaze will eat on his own.
                  I would recommend with the Prednisone that you give some food first, then
                  medicate, then give more food. This will help coat your fuzzies tummy, as
                  pred can be hard on their stomachs, and can potentially lead to ulcers.

                  Hope this information helps. If you want to chat more, feel free to email
                  me.

                  Marie Cooper

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 16, 2001
                    Staci, Chloe & Griffin

                    I'm so sorry to hear about your ferts. I know its heartbreaking. I saw
                    where you said you were getting karo syrup. Is it good for ferrets?

                    Beverly
                    badavis@...

                    Only in America do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have
                    call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to
                    in the first place.