Re: [AFA Ferret] Food

  • Mary Caudill
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 31, 2005
      Angel,
      Try some of the sweeter ferret foods like totally ferret.  I had a ferret who came to me eating some sweet cat food and he decided my dog's food tasted really good.  Of course that is worse than the cat food.
      I mixed the foods enough that by the time the food was gone, he was eating the ferret food.  Since I have a cat, I can give the ferrets treats of cat food at one piece a couple of times a month.
      Slowly reduce the amount of cat food as you increase the amount of ferret food.
      Good luck.
      Mary Ruth and the Fabulous Five

      Angel <paulslowplacesgirl@...> wrote:

      I just recently got a ferret from a guy i work with.
      The ferret was fed cat food. ANy suggestions on what
      type of ferret food to feed it because it won't eat
      the kind I cureently have for my other two ferrets. I
      feed my two 4 month old ferrets(Mac and Ann)
      marshall's premium ferret diet. they love it but the
      new ferret(cheese) is five, and won't eat it. He is
      currently eating meow mix. What should I do?????

      Please help me!!
      Angel (proud ferret mom)

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Angel
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 31, 2005
        thanks for the tip!!!
        -Angel

        --- "TinyPrintsOnTheHeart.com" <wrauenz@...>
        wrote:
        > What we do here is when a ferret comes in eating
        > "not so good food" we generally fill the bowl (and
        > mix it up good) with 75% his food, then 25% ours.
        > Then gradually we decrease the amount of his bad
        > food, and add more of our good food. They do get
        > over eventually, some longer then others. I will
        > also put some ferrettone on the "Good food" in a
        > separate bowl to get them to want it. Marguerite
        >
        > TinyPrints On The Heart.....
        > TinyPrints Shih Tzu, TinyPrints Ferretry and Rescue
        > http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com
        > Ebay Sales to Benefit TinyPrints Ferret Rescue
        > Medical Fund
        > http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZalohaferrets
        > TinyPrints Ferret Rescue PetFinder Web Page
        > www.tinyprintsontheheart.petfinder.org
        > TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Store
        > www.tinyprintsontheheart.com/onlinestore.htm

      • Sara Hamilton
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 31, 2005
          Ideally, you should wean your ferrets off of the Marshall's food as well.
          There are many higher quality ferret foods available like: 8 in1
          Ultimate, Totally Ferret, Innova Feline, The Ferret Store Superior
          Choice, etc. It is also a good idea to feed a mixture of 2-3 foods. This
          way if one is unavailable or a bad batch comes through, you know your
          ferrets will eat the other food in the mixture. You need to gradually mix
          in your new food with the old food until you eventually take the old food
          away. If you do a gradual switch you will upset their stomach. Good luck!

          Sara Hamilton
          Leizel's Weasels
          www.leizelsweasels.com
          "Home of the 2003 AFA Ferret of the Year-JBF's Isabella of LW"