New List Member/Adrenal Disease Question

  • Pam McInnis
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2001

      Hi Everyone,

      I'm new to the list and just wanted to introduce myself - I'll probably lurk as much as anything else but figure I should at least say hello! I'm Pam and I live in Baltimore with my husband, dog and the five weezils - Callie, Weaz, Robyn, Brooke and Stewart.

      Weaz, the oldest, had extensive surgery last spring. He had tumors on both adrenal glands as well an insulinoma. We knew he was adrenal, but he had shown now signs of insulinoma. He is now doing wonderfully and receives steroid shots once every 4-5 weeks to compensate for the fact that he lost his adrenal glands. You'd never guess he'd been so ill - he's almost as frisky as when we got him as a 1-year-old!

      I'm wondering if anyone has experience with an adrenal ferret who is not a good candidate for surgery. My second-oldest, Callie, is showing signs of adrenal disease and will meet with our vet next weekend. Although I won't make any decisions until discussing it thoroughly with him, and if he thinks she could withstand surgery will go for it in a heartbeat (after the success with Weaz I have a LOT of faith in him!) I'm trying to explore all my options. I've read up on medical treatment for adrenal ferrets, but would love to hear about the experiences of ferret owners who have had to go that route. Callie has always been more frail and sickness-prone than most ferrets, so I worry about putting her through surgery.

      Pam McInnis
      www.workwrites.com

      Do You Yahoo!?