Re: [AFA Ferret] Deaf fuzzy? (This is kind of long. Sorry.)

  • Kristine
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 14, 2001
      Go to www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/index.html
      > and look for the links to the deaf ferret info. Wolfy
      > really has done a wonderful job on there.

      I second the idea of visiting Wolfy's page. Not only has lots of
      info on testing for deafness, training a deaf kid..it also explains
      Waardenburg in laymans terms. ;)

      Kristine
    • Davis, Beverly A.
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 15, 2001
        I recently rescued a female ferret. She too is deaf. She is white (not
        albino) and has a gray tail. I would like to know more about ferret
        deafness.

        Beverly
        badavis@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 16, 2001
          Beverly,Go to www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/index.html and follow her links to Deaf Ferrets. I also suggest joining the Deaf Ferrets group on yahoo.Lisa and crew--- "Davis, Beverly A." wrote:
          > I recently rescued a female ferret. She too is > deaf. She is white (not > albino) and has a gray tail. I would like to know > more about ferret > deafness. > > Beverly > badavis@... > > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: laura moreno [mailto:ravendrkwolf@...] > Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2001 8:56 PM > To: AmericanFerretAssociation@yahoogroups.com > Subject: Re: [AFA Ferret] Deaf fuzzy? (This is kind > of long. Sorry.) > > > Boomer may have decreased hearing instead of being > completely deaf. Also bear in mind they are good at > reading shadows and vibrations. I have a blaze and > she > is deaf, and so lively and aggressive towards her > cadge mate. Be just call her BEBE's kid...raven > --- kmc627@... wrote: > > After getting Boomer last Saturday, I learned that > > the gene that > > causes the white stripe on his head and his little > > white toes can > > also cause deafness. So I tried squeezing a > squeak > > toy when he > > wasn't looking -- no response. I crinkled a > plastic > > bag -- no > > response. > > > > But maybe 20% of the time, I'll make a noise while > > he's doing > > something else and he'll stop and lift his head. > He > > won't usually > > look in the direction of the noise, so I don't > know > > if the head- > > lifting is a coincidence or an actual > acknowledgment > > of the sound. > > And my other two ferrets do that sometimes anyway > -- > > usually when > > they start to get bored with what they're doing. > > And I know my other > > two can hear, and they don't always look right at > > the source of a > > noise either. > > > > Also, Boomer doesn't seem any more skittish than I > > would imagine any > > new 8-week old ferret would be upon finding > himself > > in a new home and > > at the bottom of a three-ferret social pecking > > order. But then > > again, all three ferrets only have one room to > play > > in, and it's sort > > of hard for any of them to NOT know I'm there, so > > sneaking up on him > > is difficult -- coupled with the fact that I > learned > > of the deafness > > possibility only a few days after getting him, so > > I've been careful > > not to scare him (just in case). But wouldn't he > be > > more jumpy if he > > couldn't hear what was going on around him? And > he > > does seem more > > keen on being by himself than the others... But > > again, is that > > deafness-related, pecking-order related (although > > one of my other > > ferrets is 7 years old and not energetic enough to > > be too aggressive > > with him, and he seems to hold his own with the > > hyper ten-week old -- > > and they all curled up together in the same > sleeping > > bag within an > > hour of my bringing him home). Or is it just his > > personality? > > > > In other words, he seems okay if a bit timid. But > > he doesn't seem to > > respond to sudden noises, and that makes me wonder > > if he's just > > timid, or if he's deaf. > > > > Ah, I'm rambling. Sorry. I'm just worried and > want > > to do right by > > the little guy. I suppose I'm just wondering if > > anyone has had any > > experience with a deaf ferret, and does Boomer's > > behavior seem > > familiar? Would there be a sure-fire way for a > vet > > to check his > > hearing? > > > > Thanks. > > > > - Karen > > > > > > > > > ===== > Ravendrkwolf@... > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! > Messenger. > http://im.yahoo.com/ > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > AmericanFerretAssociation-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

          Do You Yahoo!?
          Make international calls for as low as $0.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger.