Re: [AFA Ferret] HELP!!!/HAVE YOU SEEN THIS IN A FERRET BEFORE

  • mike j hamm
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2003
      What you are referring to is mastitis I believe, although occurs when a jill is pregnant or has delivered.
      Does she have a fever? Watch her closely and if she has a high fever and is very limp get her to the vet ASAP for a mastectomy as this is the e-coli type and will kill her within a few days cuz it is actually gangrene. This also has discoloration and black nipples later on. Soak in warm salt water. Also your vet can pull the pus out of the normal type of mastitis with a syringe which has helped in the past. Use a combo of amoxicillan (oral) and Batril (.4cc under the skin) for both types. I would try just the amox first for the regular mastitis to see if it works. This infection will spread to the kits. If it is not mastitis, then your jill could have an infection within her and amox is a good start. The blood panel you stated should either confirm or deny an infection in her system. Just make sure that she is well hydrated and eating well in the meantime. Keep us posted,
      Mike and Sara
      Spokane, WA.
      Leizel's Weasels
      Sun, 30 Nov 2003 07:02:09 -0800 (PST) Fysha Owens <troublebeanie@...> writes:
      One of the new girl I adopted this week needs you HELP and ADVICE.
      Each and everyone of her mammary glands are hard bruised lump sore to the touch.
      The vet I had check the girls to see if they would be up to making the long trip home said he was not sure what it could be.
      He has seen bacteral infection in the mammary gland area in jills nursing their kits, but this little girl is a Marshall Ferret so she has never had any kits.
      The vet did how ever give me a large bottle of Amoxi-Drops to put all 3 of the�girls on for it would most likely be of help to them.
      I am going to take them into my vet tomorrow to have bloodwork and test ran on all 3 of�them, but would like some information to take with me from someone that may know what this is.
      Have any of you ever seen this in a ferret before, know what it maybe and how did your vet treat this?
      You can e-mail me at:
      Thank you for all of your most needed advice!
      Fysha

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now