How the Brits See Hillary (telegraph.co.uk)

  • gmd10ms
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2007
      Britain's No.1 quality newspaper website
      Thursday 1 February 2007

      Whom does Hillary think she's fooling?
      By Jan Moir
      Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 31/01/2007

      Only a few days have passed since Hillary Clinton announced she is
      running for president, but already it is clear that much forbearance
      will be required from us all in the long months ahead. This is not
      just because Mrs Clinton has started wearing ominous pastels and
      smiling a lot, or appeared to enjoy a joke apparently about her
      husband's sexcapades in the White House — although these things do,
      of course, matter. No, what is so lowering about Hillary and her rush
      for power is the merciless, unapologetic, chisel-eyed way she has
      pursued her presidential ambitions over the past few years, and her
      blatant attempt to make over her naturally acrid persona into
      something that American voters might find palatable.

      Even from an ocean away it makes painful viewing, like watching
      someone trying to fold a balloon into a matchbox, or form a rounded
      human being out of leftover ectoplasm and a Martha Stewart wig. Yet
      the New York senator seems unstoppable in her aspirations, attempting
      a soft-focus rebrand on herself as a homemaker of meek views and
      kindly disposition, ready to whisk around with the duster, cook Bill
      a nice, eggy supper and sort out world problems at the same time.

      In her new pearls and heart-shaped lockets, those telling little
      trinkets she hopes will send out the subliminal message that she is a
      biddable soubrette at heart, Mrs Clinton has become shameless in her
      pursuit of high office and the Hillary-lite ideal. Her official
      website reveals that the woman who once sneered at Tammy Wynette
      wives who baked cookies now talks of the inner calm that she finds in
      housework and gardening, and of how cleaning out her closets brings
      relief from worrying about North Korea and Iran. "I can't get my arms
      around that," she says, modestly acknowledging that there are bigger
      global problems that she can contend with, although folding sweaters
      and chucking out old tights, alongside the occasional skeleton, is an
      enjoyable breeze in comparison.

      What happened to the forbidding woman who first stepped into the
      public arena 15 years ago, the militant feminist who was not afraid
      to air her difficult views on stay-at-home mothers and abortion on
      demand? Sister, she has long gone, dissolved in an acid bath of
      burning ambition, alongside the First Lady Hillary who had an agenda
      of her own in trying to push through healthcare reforms that appalled
      many Americans, but fitted with her own bossy, liberal views. With
      the voting landscape now dominated by moral values and faith-based
      groups who wield enormous power and are easily affronted, Senator
      Clinton's route march to the White House must remain free of
      controversy, and if that means shaping herself into a vanilla vision
      of impeccably centrist views and somehow distancing herself from her
      own initial support of the Iraq war and other pesky matters such as
      gun control and gay marriages, then so be it. Not that any of this is
      going to be easy.

      Mrs Clinton reminds too many Americans of the international
      embarrassment and sexual psychodrama of her husband's administration,
      an experience many would rather forget. Naturally, the far Right
      doesn't like her much, but even among Democrat supporters, she
      polarises opinion as if she was political Marmite: people either
      absolutely love her or utterly loathe her, although all are agreed
      that a little Hillary goes a long way.

      There is even a thriving Hate Hillary industry that sells "I Hate
      Hillary" T-shirts, mouse mats and car bumper stickers, and feeds on
      the foaming bile of Hillary-hating blogs. Many of Mrs Clinton's
      detractors find it particularly annoying that she has made gender the
      focal point of her campaign, perhaps in an attempt to neuter the
      enthusiasm being whipped up around Barack Obama's bid to become the
      first black US president. "I'm a woman and I'm a mom," croons Hillary-
      lite, while complaining about the double standards she must endure
      regarding comments on her clothes and her hair. Yet none of this is
      trivial. Everything Mrs Clinton now does and says is a deliberate
      political statement, from the honey streaks in her hairdo to the
      girly pinks she chooses to camouflage herself in, although the effect
      of the latter is unconvincing: think killer shark prowling the
      shallows in a party frock.

      Of course, all politicians are guilty of a little repositioning and
      shaving of principles when the occasion suits, but until Hillary
      Rodham Clinton came along, no one has ever dared to politically morph
      themselves to quite such an astounding degree. Will it work? Let's
      hope not.

      ----------

      Comments

      Excellent command of what hill/bill are up to,loved your article.Glad
      you figured it out.The Barbara Bush pearls are too obvious for
      words.As an American,she is positively frightening.They are ready to
      unleash the pit bulls on Obama or whoever lends a threat. Her "vast"
      ambition of sleeping in the white house again is dangerous.
      Read "Hell to Pay" Barbara Olsen. Keep writing your witty
      truth.Thanks so much.
      Posted by Tatiana on January 31, 2007 5:15 PM

      Jan Moir, you have this woman pegged better than many Americans have.
      I am afraid she is pulling the wool over the eyes of the ignorant. If
      I had to sum up one word to describe that woman it would
      be "dangerous". Even Slick Willie is scared of her.

      Ruth
      Posted by Ruth Lindemann on January 31, 2007 4:43 PM

      Dear Mark C. Al Gore? Seriously? The man is a political Zelig - an
      empty-shell who will morph himself to whatever the prevailing
      politcal need is. First he was was the intellectual/professorial foil
      to Mr. Clinton's down-home good 'ol boy. Later in the 90's it was Mr.
      Tech and internet inventor. Now it is Mr. Green and global-ecodoom
      prophet. As for being self-made - don't forget Dad was a Senator who
      basically handed him his first jobs in State Govt and Congress
      Posted by Paul on January 31, 2007 4:18 PM

      ..Ditto M. Fernandez!!!!

      7-generation Texan also proud to be of English Descent!!!
      Posted by Nancee Chambers on January 31, 2007 3:40 PM

      President Bush has his faults; however, I doubt that when he leaves
      the White House that he will take half the government furniture with
      him.
      Posted by Barbara on January 31, 2007 3:25 PM

      "Gore got there on his own"?!?!?!?!

      Is that the same Al Gore raised mostly in velvety DC hotels where his
      father was a senator?

      To quote Gordon Gekko in Wall Street, you're walking around blind
      without a cane, pal.

      Posted by PB Morsley on January 31, 2007 3:17 PM

      ...if Hillary gets elected..."There will be Hell to pay"..thank you
      Barbara Olsen
      Posted by steve on January 31, 2007 3:15 PM

      Nobody's ever done "aw-shucks" better than Slick Willie.
      Posted by Linda Chambers on January 31, 2007 2:35 PM

      Hillary has been president already, just that Bill had his name on
      the office door.
      Posted by Steve Ipswich on January 31, 2007 1:38 PM

      Aaron Clausen was the first, but someone was sure to mention the myth
      of Bush's intellectual poverty. Perhaps he would have preferred kerry
      to win in the last presidential election, despite him having achieved
      a slightly lower grade at university than Bush. I never was a Bush
      supporter, but also never believed the myths.

      Perhaps he would also like to see Hillary Clinton in power, despite
      the lies she has been caught out in, in at least one case allowing a
      White House official to lie under oath for her.
      Posted by Richard on January 31, 2007 1:23 PM

      THank you, madam. You have brilliantly written down, for all the
      world to see, just exactly how so very American women feel about this
      harridan. She absolutley is a reminder of what her partner did in the
      Oval Office and she is in 'no way' a compliment to the AMerican
      Woman. We dislike her manipulating us with the phone makeover...we
      want her to go away and take her hubby with her...alas that will not
      happen. Let's hope that we do not see her taking that oath of office
      in 2008.... this will be a doome country.
      Posted by Sandra on January 31, 2007 1:03 PM

      28 years of Clintons and Bushes is quite enough, thank you.

      Her politics almost do not matter. If she comes back the whole
      Clinton crew will come with her. I think we deserve better.

      Posted by Ed on January 31, 2007 1:01 PM

      Great article! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

      I don't know of any conservatives that are afraid of Hillary Clinton.

      It's more like, "will someone please get the hook?" We've already
      figured out the plot, attempting to dazzle with the costume changes
      does nothing to improve the play.

      BTW, she's already signaled that she doesn't want to deal with the
      burden of that war thingee. Even though she wore the costume of a
      hawk as she cast her vote for war, now she's dressed as a cameleon.

      Posted by Missy on January 31, 2007 12:54 PM

      Surely by 2008 we in the U.S. will be thoroughly saturated with
      Bush/Clinton/Bush/Clinton fatigue. We need new faces and attitudes.
      Posted by B. Watts on January 31, 2007 12:08 PM

      Aaron, President Bush (of the "aw-shucks" persona) graduated from
      Yale and has an MBA from Harvard. His first opponent (Al Gore)
      flunked out of journalism school and the seminary - and is considered
      Brilliant! - go figure
      Posted by Mike Hagin, American Citizen on January 31, 2007 11:35 AM

      I don't like Hillary Clinton any more than the author but this bile-
      filled article is sickening.
      It is typical women's bitch journalism, dripping with viciousness and
      totally lacking in any sense of curiousity.
      This is women's stuff for women and should not be confused with
      journalism, proper. Hopefully in the new era of media ahead, that
      proper distinction will be restored.
      Posted by Daggo on January 31, 2007 11:26 AM

      Yes, Hillary *would* be worse than Bush.

      See Telegraph's past U.S. correspondent Ambrose Evans-Pritchard's
      book The Secret Life of Bill Clinton for details.

      Posted by Lou Coatney (1st Alamein) on January 31, 2007 9:56 AM

      Hillary Clinton was never a First Lady in the traditional mould: you
      had a feeling she could run rings round Bill - and that it should
      have been her that went for the Presidency the first time round back
      in the early 1990s.

      That she did not make that move shows her in a different light to
      that which she would portray herself in today. The public have seen
      too much of Hillary Clinton in different guises. The long game is not
      always right in politics.

      Pundits have commented that with Hillary you either love her or you
      hate her: in an instant the focus is the individual not the issues.
      This is the wrong foot to get off on in a campaign to be President of
      the United States.
      Posted by simon coulter on January 31, 2007 8:22 AM

      Re Hillary Clinton, perhaps she used Tony "I'm a straight kind of
      guy" Blair as a role model. His political make over was equally
      impressive.
      Posted by Neil Jones on January 31, 2007 7:56 AM

      Everything you need to know about Hillary is in Christopher
      Hitchen's "No One Left to Lie To".

      Posted by M. Fernandez on January 31, 2007 7:11 AM

      Absoutly marvalous! I am glad that even as you in the UK, sink in to
      socalist slavery, you have a clear eye on US politics.

      Makes me proud to be of English Descent.
      Posted by William J. Wilkins on January 31, 2007 2:41 AM

      © Copyright of Telegraph Media Group Limited 2007.
      telegraph.co.uk

      ###