Ed Koch Has a Valid Question...

  • gmd10ms
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006
      Preserve our country's values while not jeopardizing its
      veryexistence
      By Ed Koch
      Sept. 1, 2006

      Why do so many Americans refuse to face the fact that our country is
      at war with international terrorism?

      The leading terrorist group, al-Qaeda, is fighting us on the ground
      in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Both Iran and North Korea are
      threatening nuclear war. And yet many Americans, including some
      Congressional Democrats, denounce President Bush, and in so doing,
      weaken our country's ability to resist Islamic fascism. One
      Congressional Democrat, John Conyers of Michigan, announced his
      intention to impeach the President when Republicans lose control of
      both Houses of Congress.

      There is something terribly wrong with people seeking to demean and
      weaken the president in war time, thereby strengthening our
      country's enemies. As a result of the language and tactics of those
      opposed to our presence in Iraq, our enemies have been emboldened,
      believing the American public to be sharply divided on the war, and
      in fact at war with itself. To other countries, Americans appear
      pitted against one another not in an election, but in a verbal
      bloodbath, convincing the world we are impotent -- a paper tiger.

      The tyrannical forces in Iran led by its president, Mahmoud
      Ahmadinejad, make clear that if they can destroy us, they will.
      Ahmadinejad has said about the U.S., "...Is it possible for us to
      witness a world without America and Zionism?...you had best know
      that this slogan and this goal are attainable, and surely can be
      achieved..." Ahmadinejad has also stated his goal of destroying the
      state of Israel several times, saying, "...Israel must be wiped off
      the map."

      If a sovereign nation makes such threats, do those who are
      threatened have to wait until the missiles are in the air before
      taking action? Or may threatened states defend themselves with
      preemptive action?

      The U.N. Security Council has demanded that Iran stop developing
      nuclear technology leading to the creation of a nuclear bomb. Iran
      has refused, notwithstanding threatened sanctions. Iran's
      conventional missiles can already reach Europe and Israel. Must
      Israel wait until the world knows exactly when Iran's bomb has been
      built? Experts estimate that it may take years or as little as six
      months. No one knows with certainty when the cobra will be able to
      strike. Iran has lied to the U.N. about its nuclear development
      efforts before. Is there anyone who believes it is not prepared to
      lie in the future or is currently lying?

      Many of those who attack the president, hoping to make him
      ineffective and bring him down, are opposed to our alliance with
      Israel. You can verify that and the signs of anti-Semitism by
      looking at the banners and listening to the anti-Israel invective in
      the speeches in the street demonstrations and marches against the
      war in Iraq and President Bush. Regrettably, many of those marchers
      are blind to the terrorism that faces the Western civilization,
      sympathize with it, or fear it less than they despise the
      governmental leaders of the U.S.

      Recently, Scotland Yard arrested 25 British-born Muslims in the
      midst of plotting to blow up over the Atlantic Ocean ten U.S.-bound
      airplanes filled with approximately 4,000 people. The British
      authorities have indicted 14 and continue with its investigation of
      11 more, having released several suspects. In a recent poll of
      British Muslims by NOP Research, broadcast by British Channel 4-TV
      on August 7, "Forty-five percent say 9/11 was a conspiracy by the
      American and Israeli governments. This figure is more than twice as
      high as those who say it was not a conspiracy. Tragically, almost
      one in four British Muslims believe that last year's 7/7 attacks on
      London were justified because of British support for the U.S.-led
      war on terror."

      I know of no comparable poll taken in the American Muslim community,
      which numbers 2 to 6 million. There are certainly enough Muslims
      here to poll. Are we afraid to learn the results?

      When the government engages in racial and ethnic profiling at our
      airports, there is an outcry among those who call themselves civil
      libertarians. They seek to shame us, citing the actions taken in
      World War II against Japanese-American citizens. The difference is
      that no Japanese-American engaged in a single hostile act against
      the U.S. in World War II.

      We know today that the 19 terrorists who brought the World Trade
      Center towers down were Muslims. We know that Muslims planned and
      implemented the attacks on our embassies in Africa, the U.S.S. Cole
      in Yemen and the army barracks in Saudi Arabia. So when our counter
      intelligence investigates alleged terrorist groups, shouldn't
      suspected Muslim groups be first on the list?

      At airports, shouldn't those who speak Arabic or are identified by
      trained inspectors by clothing, actions, appearance or information
      as Muslims receive special attention? Most will undoubtedly be
      innocent, and understandably affronted and inconvenienced.
      Nevertheless, it is the rational measure to take when we are at war.

      Protecting the nation does not mean silence in the face of
      criminality on the part of the U.S. military forces or improper
      government action. It means exercising restraint, responsibility,
      good faith and respect for other people. It means not seeking
      political gain at the expense of the nation's security in war time.
      Knowing what to do can be likened to Mr. Justice Potter Stewart's
      statement in a pornography case. Said he, "I know it when I see it."
      We should not say "My country right or wrong," as Commander Stephen
      Decatur did, but we should preserve our country's values while not
      jeopardizing its very existence. JewishWorldReview.com

      http://www.NewsAndOpinion.com

      ###