A Perversion of Justice

  • gmd10ms
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2004
      A perversion of justice

      As a general rule, I try to make allowances for human failings.
      That's because, more often than not, they do no lasting harm. On top
      of which, they're usually pretty darn funny.

      But there's one subject which simply has no amusing aspects. If you
      thought I was going to say child molesters, you're only partly right.
      For as vile as pederasts, pedophiles, bottom-feeding scum-suckers
      are, there are others who are even worse, if only because they are
      far more numerous.

      For openers, there are the lawyers who use all their guile to con
      juries into letting these freaks run loose. I have no idea how these
      shysters sleep at night, knowing full well that their children and
      grandchildren could be the creep's next prey.

      Next we have the judges, the parole boards, the American Civil
      Liberties Union and the legislatures, who are all in cahoots to
      pretend that these perverts are just like other criminals. It's just
      not so. Sentence a burglar or a thief to a few years in jail, and
      there's always a chance he'll come out a changed man. He may not be a
      saint, but it's just possible he'll decide it's not worth knocking
      over a 7-11 for a few hundred bucks if it's going to land his sorry
      butt back in the clink.

      But there is no group of evildoers with a higher rate of recidivism
      than those who brutalize children. In order to live out their sick
      fantasies, they would risk being drawn-and-quartered. There is a very
      good reason that parents don't want them moving into the neighborhood
      once they're out of jail. Parents instinctively know the truth about
      them, but unfortunately parents do not make the laws or determine the

      The question with these devils isn't whether they'll strike again,
      but only when. I hear some of you demurring: What about those, you
      ask, who somehow see the light? Is it fair they don't get to prove
      they've had an epiphany? Is it fair that they don't get to prove
      they're rehabilitated? Yes, it is fair and just and moral. For one
      thing, if they fool us, the price of their freedom is far too high.
      Far better for them to rot in jail than for one child to be at risk.
      Besides, how many chances should anyone have to brutalize a 3-year-

      Some years ago, a man abducted a young girl, raped her and then, just
      for the hell of it, chopped off both her arms. I wonder how many
      other people, like me, were amazed when a few years later we read
      that he had served his sentence, moved to Florida, and been arrested
      for murdering a woman. For God's sake, what the hell does a guy have
      to do in order to spend the rest of his miserable life in jail?

      Recently, we all heard about the monster who snatched the little 11-
      year-old at the carwash, murdered her and left her body in the church
      parking lot. Although he had already been imprisoned for molesting a
      child and then, upon being released, violated his parole, the judge
      had refused to send him back to jail. Had the district attorney had
      his way, the man would have been serving an additional 15 years in
      the pen, and the child would have arrived home safely.

      Finally, we have Kenneth Parnell, who first achieved fame as the ogre
      who kidnapped little Steven Stayner, molesting and torturing him for
      seven long years, and then abducted a 5-year-old before being
      captured. After all that, he served a 5-year term in Soledad. Five
      years! In other words, his sentence was shorter than Steven's!

      Recently, at the age of 72, lest you think the freaks outgrow their
      dementia, Parnell was arrested for attempting to buy a 4-year-old boy
      for $500.

      What does it say about a society when it takes such a casual attitude
      towards crimes against children? I believe that sexual perverts
      really can't control their obscene urges. That's why I think they
      should be locked up once and for all in asylums for the criminally

      Some of you, knowing that I am a big proponent of capital punishment,
      are probably surprised that I'm willing to let these abominations

      But, then, you haven't asked me what I'd do to their lawyers.

      Burt Prelutsky has been a humor columnist for the L.A. Times, a movie
      critic for Los Angeles magazine and a freelance writer for TV Guide,
      Modern Maturity, the N.Y. Times and Sports Illustrated. He has also
      written TV scripts for shows such as "Dragnet," "MASH," "Mary Tyler
      Moore" and "Diagnosis Murder." His most recent book is "Conservatives
      Are From Mars, Liberals Are From San Francisco."