Re: AP™ Bush Could Make A Deadly Blunder

  • EldridgeBeaver@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
      PL...i don't disagree with Mr. Reese but the fact is...Bush and Kim Jong
      Il are both crazy as bat shit which renders 1 on 1 diplomatic discourse
      all but impossible. I'm not sure there is a cure for megalomania.
    • jimmie sorrento
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003
        PLACE THEM BOTH IN A ROOM FILLED WITH GASOLINE AND GIVE THEM BOTH A MATCH...MAY THE BEST ASSHOLE WIN..
        peace taxi

        EldridgeBeaver@... wrote:
        PL...i don't disagree with Mr. Reese but the fact is...Bush and Kim Jong
        Il are both crazy as bat shit which renders 1 on 1 diplomatic discourse
        all but impossible.  I'm not sure there is a cure for megalomania.

        ***TO REPLY TO THE GROUP AND BE IN THE NEXT DIGEST, SIMPLY CLICK REPLY... OR SEND TO:

        American-politics@yahoogroups.com

        **********

        Join in the American-politics chatroom - live debates - 24 hours a day!

        Click here!
        http://www.patriotedition.com/ap.html

        ***************

        American-politics in TalkCity

        http://forums.talkcity.com/tc-American_Pol

        **********

        The Patriot Edition:

        Get your daily dose of headlines and more!

        http://www.patriotedition.com

        *******************

        The Opinion Edition II
        (Get the scoop with old chatters and newbies)

        http://b5.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?&user=OpinionEdition

        ~~We never close!~~

        Go to options page:

        **********
        BE HEARD!

        To send a reply to the group to:

        American-politics@yahoogroups.com

        **********

        Contacting White House:
        http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

        Write your congressman:
        http://www.house.gov/writerep/

        American-politics email debate group... formally known as apemail... You will not find a less moderated e-group on the internet. Freedom of speech is taken seriously here. Have fun!

        If there is any problems... please send an email to problems@... and we will get to the bottom of it. :)

        To: ProudLiberal_news_debates@yahoogroups.com,
        American-politics@yahoogroups.com
        CC: DemocracyDepot@yahoogroups.com
        From: ProudLiberal7@...
        Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:58:09 EDT
        Subject: AP�_Bush_Could_Make_A_Deadly_Blunder

        Bush Could Make A Deadly Blunder
        Charley Reese

        Regardless of how bad a regime North Korea has, its demands of the United States are reasonable. They
        are four: one-on-one talks, a nonaggression treaty, economic aid and normal diplomatic relations.

        The Bush administration's obstinate refusal to consider these could prove to be one of the deadliest
        blunders in the history of stupid diplomacy.

        First, talks are always cheaper than wars. Why shouldn't the United States and North Korea hold one-
        on-one talks? There is no reason not to. We held one-on-one talks with the Soviet Union and with
        Communist China during the Cold War.

        And why not sign a nonaggression pact? It's clear from the past 50 years that we have no intention of
        invading North Korea. After all, it has no oil. Bush's refusal so far to consider signing such a pact
        sends a clear signal to North Korea that he might indeed be willing or even planning to attack North
        Korea. That, of course, would be a disaster.

        Somebody in the White House should sit the president down and explain to him that since he (1)
        included North Korea in his infamous axis of evil speech, (2) attacked one of those three countries
        and (3) has proclaimed a new policy of pre-emptive wars, North Korea's fears are quite reasonable and
        rational. It is certainly in America's national interests to allay those fears ��� unless, of course,
        Bush wants to go to war. North Korea is far more dangerous than Iraq. American casualties in a war
        with North Korea will be measured in the tens of thousands, not in hundreds. It would be clear
        evidence of terminal stupidity to blunder into an unnecessary war with North Korea. Yet some serious
        people ��� including, most recently, the Russians ��� have warned we are in danger of drifting into a
        war.

        As for economic aid, we've been handing that out to foreign countries ��� dictatorships included ��� for
        more than 50 years. There are even sound humanitarian reasons for economic aid to North Korea, but
        even if there weren't, economic aid, like talk, is cheaper than war. We have likewise had normal
        diplomatic relations with regimes far worse than North Korea (Idi Amin's genocidal government, for
        example).

        This prattle about not succumbing to blackmail is typical of the ideological blockheads in the Bush
        administration. It's not blackmail. We want something from North Korea ��� an end to its nuclear-
        weapons program; North Korea wants something in return. A trade is not blackmail.

        The irony is that the North Korean regime is clearly doomed in the long run because of its economic
        failures. Sound diplomacy on our part can make sure it goes out with a whimper and not with a nuclear
        bang.

        What worries me most about the Bush administration is that it seems unable to recognize reality. The
        administration keeps insisting on multilateral talks, and Japan, China, Russia and South Korea keep
        saying to the United States, sit down with the North Koreans. In other words, our "allies" back the
        North Korean position on talks, not the Bush administration's position.

        We already know that an administration that perceived Iraq as a greater threat than North Korea has a
        lot of dim light bulbs to begin with. It is bad enough when any young American has to die for his or
        her country, but it would be an outrage for thousands of them to die because of political stupidity
        and stubbornness.

        A great and powerful nation does not lose face by acting in a conciliatory manner toward a small one.
        It is not weakness to avoid a useless war, especially when all North Korea wants is what we freely
        grant to practically all the nations on the planet. So what if its leader is a nut case. He's
        certainly not the only one.

        The president kind of reminds me of a deputy sheriff I knew once. He was arrogant and a bully, but
        one day he swaggered over to pick up a mental patient and got a knife in the belly. The fact that
        North Korea's leader might not have all of his wires connected to the right terminals is a sound
        reason for dealing with him cautiously. It is never much consolation to the dead that they died on
        the "right" side.

        Since the president has ignored the wise counsel of the Founding Fathers and decided to be an
        imperial power, he'd better get use to dealing with nuts and less-than-pleasant national heads of
        state. They are probably in the majority.

        http://reese.king-online.com/Reese_20030730/index.php

[...]

        Do you Yahoo!?