62 yrs. & Walking 2,200 mi. to support America's Homeless Veterans

  • two_shoes2009
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2009
      This topic may be idle for short time. My trek begins in the middle
      of March, 2009. The purpose is to raise awareness for the good work
      being done for American war veterans that have, for one reason or
      another, lost their way back into society. There is more work needed
      to be done.

      I spent a short time among a few homeless veterans who were
      struggling to find their way back to simply the fringes of society.
      With help, most will. Many will go much farther. A few will always
      need our help. My time was with those men and women who have been
      saved from the streets, and were on their way to becoming part of
      society again. With our support, shelters for homeless veterans can
      be a revolving door for those coming in off the street and those re-
      entering society as productive Americans again.

      My journey begins in Amicalola Falls State Park, Georgia and will end
      at Katahdin, Baxter State Park, Maine. I will begin a week before
      spring and barring a twisted ankle in the first 50 feet, 2,200 miles
      later, will reach the peak of Katahdin before Baxter State Park is
      closed for the winter in October. The Appalachian Trail traverses 14
      Eastern States, and will take approximately 6 months to complete. My
      messages to update this topic will be posted (with any luck) on a
      weekly basis, or there abouts.

      !00% of America's homeless veterans have experienced success in their
      time. Those of us who live in a free society are their success story.
      The homeless soul you turn away from on the street may be one of
      America's more distinguished individuals, a homeless veterans a who
      now needs your help.