Re: "Signupgenius.com" powerful tool for your club

  • gambilldr
    Message 1 of 20 , May 7, 2012
      Added the Signup Genius link to the Links area in this group.

      Regarding Google Docs, I am thinking about using the Google spreadsheet to track our membership so it can be shared with those that need it. Anyone have any concerns about security, posting email addresses, phone numbers, etc?

      73s
      Don Gambill KC8WAU
      President, Hillsdale County Amateur Radio Club
      Visit our website at www.hcarc.com

      --- In AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <n1bn@...> wrote:

      > Our club out here in Pasadena, Ca just discovered a very useful tool for any club that needs to sign up volunteers for events. Signupgenius.com - and it is free. Takes much of the fuss and mess out of event planning.
      >
      > Easy to establish and account, and create a "signup"
      >
      > Then you invite people to go to the site and join your "signup". You can "invite" via separate email addresses or even group addresses like yahoo groups.
      >
      > Easy to manage and edit the account, even after it is built.
      >
      > http://www.signupgenius.com/
      >
      > 73
      > Bruce N1BN
      > Pasadena Radio Club

    • Bruce Nolte
      Message 2 of 20 , May 7, 2012
        Our club has a multi-layered approach to data collection, storage and event planning.

        Treasurers computer: yearly membership records in a spreadsheet
        Club Yahoo group: club messages & meeting notices
        Board Yahoo group: board messages & meeting notices
        Marathon yahoo group: recruiting & notices
        Signupgenius.com: just for specific events (via Marathon yahoo group)

        Signupgenius.com has just allowed me to fill all of the shifts for a May 20th marathon without having to make any phone calls or in person announcements.  All I had to do was build the "sign up" and paste in the group email address for our marathon yahoo group - done deal - 48 hours later the slots were magically filled in by the operators themselves.  What could be easier?  And it allows me to easily email these specific people from my "signup".

        Not all thst useful for normal club membership tasks but for events this this - a slam dunk.

        73
        Bruce N1BN

        Sent from my Cray X-MP

        Visit our website at www.hcarc.com

        Message 3 of 20 , May 7, 2012
          Yeah... I do.

          ===================== K8JHR =======================

          On 5/7/2012 11:13 PM, gambilldr wrote:

          Anyone have any concerns about security, posting email addresses,
          phone numbers, etc?

        • Jim Campbell
          Message 4 of 20 , May 8, 2012
            We have had many discussions about these issues at our Board Meetings recently.  We have decided to NOT put in members phone numbers on our roster that is on line .  We do print out the Roster for members when they ask for it, but will not put it on line, although we realize that this information can be accessed by QRZ, as well as other sites.  So far, no issues with that. That seems to be the biggest issue with our membership at this time.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

            Jim Campbell    kb9rgu   CARMA - SARC - CPAAAS

                 kb9rgu@...       http://twitter.com/kb9rgu

            Visit our website at www.hcarc.com

            --- In AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <n1bn@...> wrote:

            > Our club out here in Pasadena, Ca just discovered a very useful tool for any club that needs to sign up volunteers for events. Signupgenius.com - and it is free. Takes much of the fuss and mess out of event planning.
            >
            > Easy to establish and account, and create a "signup"
            >
            > Then you invite people to go to the site and join your "signup". You can "invite" via separate email addresses or even group addresses like yahoo groups.
            >
            > Easy to manage and edit the account, even after it is built.
            >
            > http://www.signupgenius.com/
            >
            > 73
            > Bruce N1BN
            > Pasadena Radio Club

          • Norman Schklar
            Message 5 of 20 , May 8, 2012
              I think we all have concerns.  Being an Amateur Radio Operator really makes your contact info very public.
              We are considering posting new members names and calls on our web site.  The hope is that it'll make it easier for the group to recognize them and be brought into the club realm more quickly.
              I think name, home town and call sign are enough to post public.  But we haven't done it!

              Norm Schklar

              Visit our website at www.hcarc.com

              --- In AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <n1bn@...> wrote:

              > Our club out here in Pasadena, Ca just discovered a very useful tool for any club that needs to sign up volunteers for events. Signupgenius.com - and it is free. Takes much of the fuss and mess out of event planning.
              >
              > Easy to establish and account, and create a "signup"
              >
              > Then you invite people to go to the site and join your "signup". You can "invite" via separate email addresses or even group addresses like yahoo groups.
              >
              > Easy to manage and edit the account, even after it is built.
              >
              > http://www.signupgenius.com/
              >
              > 73
              > Bruce N1BN
              > Pasadena Radio Club

            • Jim Campbell
              Message 6 of 20 , May 8, 2012
                Agreed that name, call sign , and town of residence should be enough, and we also have the email as well, although there are some that have requested to NOT put that in, and we have honored their request.  We use a special group email, so that data mining is more difficult, but, of course, NOT impossible.  We have an excellent Moderator for the group's that we use, so mining is at a minimum , it at all.

                Visit our website at www.hcarc.com

                --- In AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <n1bn@...> wrote:

                > Our club out here in Pasadena, Ca just discovered a very useful tool for any club that needs to sign up volunteers for events. Signupgenius.com - and it is free. Takes much of the fuss and mess out of event planning.
                >
                > Easy to establish and account, and create a "signup"
                >
                > Then you invite people to go to the site and join your "signup". You can "invite" via separate email addresses or even group addresses like yahoo groups.
                >
                > Easy to manage and edit the account, even after it is built.
                >
                > http://www.signupgenius.com/
                >
                > 73
                > Bruce N1BN
                > Pasadena Radio Club

              • Bruce Nolte
                Message 7 of 20 , May 8, 2012
                  I do not know of anyone using Signupgenius.com as an online club roster - that is not its purpose.  It is just a tool for event planning - and only asks for email address.
                  73
                  Bruce N1BN

                  Sent from my Cray X-MP

                  On May 8, 2012, at 4:25 AM, Jim Campbell <camp637@...> wrote:

                  Agreed that name, call sign , and town of residence should be enough, and we also have the email as well, although there are some that have requested to NOT put that in, and we have honored their request.  We use a special group email, so that data mining is more difficult, but, of course, NOT impossible.  We have an excellent Moderator for the group's that we use, so mining is at a minimum , it at all.

                  Jim Campbell    kb9rgu   CARMA - SARC - CPAAAS

                       kb9rgu@...       http://twitter.com/kb9rgu
                  Indicator_arrows_circle Checking for availability of this username ...

                  Visit our website at www.hcarc.com

                  --- In AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <n1bn@...> wrote:

                  > Our club out here in Pasadena, Ca just discovered a very useful tool for any club that needs to sign up volunteers for events. Signupgenius.com - and it is free. Takes much of the fuss and mess out of event planning.
                  >
                  > Easy to establish and account, and create a "signup"
                  >
                  > Then you invite people to go to the site and join your "signup". You can "invite" via separate email addresses or even group addresses like yahoo groups.
                  >
                  > Easy to manage and edit the account, even after it is built.
                  >
                  > http://www.signupgenius.com/
                  >
                  > 73
                  > Bruce N1BN
                  > Pasadena Radio Club

                • Ed Greany
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 8, 2012
                    Our team has used a Yahoogroups site since even prior to Yahoo taking the Groups over many years ago. We do not publish our roster on the website or elsewhere except in the <Files> section of our yahoogroups site. We also limit the site to invitees only to ensure only current members have access to it. Our roster includes:
                    • Full Name
                    • Physical Address
                    • Home phone
                    • Cell phone
                    • Work phone
                    • Fax
                    • Ham callsign
                    • GMRS callsign
                    • email address
                    When printing the roster, the above is all that prints on three pages. The roster also includes:
                    • REACT Life Member ID
                    • Shirt size
                    • Member type (regular, family, junior)
                    • GMRS expiration date
                    • Year joined
                    • ARRL member?
                    • ICS training (100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800)
                    • Auto insurance? (To drive/tow trailer for team)
                    • Equipment (CB, FRS, 2M, 220, 440, HF, GMRS
                    We do not include DOB anywhere
                    All the above is on the first worksheet. The next worksheet includes any last year members who have left and we sincerely want them back. The third worksheet is our Silent Mic retired unit numbers, name, etc.

                    All this makes for a total and complete database all in one single file which is distributed monthly (by yahoogroups) to all members with email (95%). Those without email can receive a copy at the monthly meeting.

                    Ed, KB6DOL / KAD6554

                  • andrew@siliconcreek.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 8, 2012
                      Norm, I think that's a good idea.  I just had to introduce a new club member to some "morning roundtable regulars" because even after I got him into the rotation, they didn't seem like they were interacting too well (part of this can be attributed to the nature of the conversation, as it went towards something that was more one-on-one between the two).  Once I did that (which was at the end of their "side conversation"), they welcomed him in.  :)

                      Even if you don't post them on the website, perhaps at least an email to the membership welcoming and introducing new members.  This way, some of the people that can't come to meetings will have an idea who those people are and make it more likely that they can get someone on the repeater(s).

                      73
                      Andrew AC8JO

                      Visit our website at www.hcarc.com