Re: "Signupgenius.com" powerful tool for your club

  • AndrewR
    Message 1 of 20 , May 4, 2012
      Thanks for posting those Chris!

      73
      Andrew
      AC8JO

      Message 2 of 20 , May 4, 2012
        OK... I see I am out voted on this on ! ;-)

        My take:

        I would rather have the data in my own programs, on my computer, under
        my control, where I can do more with it... like create name tags,...
        assign database attributes and sub-classifications of my own, such as
        assignment lists, team break out lists, and for other purposes, such
        as the ability to make reports, create address books for other purposes
        (such as for thank-you mailing lists and other lists) and so forth. I
        want to be able to have the data available for many other purposes - and
        be able to reformat and reorganize or re-classify the data records for
        various beyond the initial scope of the sign up feature. I believe I
        can do that easier my way.

        Yet... I AGREE this is ONE MORE TOOL IN THE TOOL BOX
        and we can never have too many tools to choose from !

        Happy days y'all.

        ========================== K8JHR ===========================
      • Chris Danis
        Message 3 of 20 , May 5, 2012
          On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 2:39 AM, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:

          OK... I see I am out voted on this on ! ;-)

          My take:

          I would rather have the data in my own programs, on my computer, under
          my control, where I can do more with it... like create name tags,...
          assign database attributes and sub-classifications of my own, such as
          assignment lists, team break out lists, and for other purposes, such
          as the ability to make reports, create address books for other purposes
          (such as for thank-you mailing lists and other lists) and so forth. I
          want to be able to have the data available for many other purposes - and
          be able to reformat and reorganize or re-classify the data records for
          various beyond the initial scope of the sign up feature. I believe I
          can do that easier my way.

          James,

          As a software engineer, I totally understand where you're coming from.

          I do suggest you look at the links about forms support in Google Docs that I posted earlier, though.
          You build a questionnaire, give Docs a list of email addresses -- and as people reply, their replies 'magically' show up as rows in your spreadsheet.
          It's easy to edit it online, share it with others in your club, or to download the entire sheet as a CSV or XLS.
          [For what it's worth, if you have any document or spreadsheet that more than one person wants to edit at once, there's no better tool than Google Docs.  Although maybe I am biased...]

          Anyway, just my two cents.

          -Chris N2YYZ
        • andrew@siliconcreek.net
          Message 4 of 20 , May 5, 2012
            I think you are right that having your own setup (and on Google Docs) would give you more control like that.  And if your way is acceptable to your club, then by all means, don't stop using what works!

            ...that being said, can any of the users of other uses tell us if you can export data out of these other systems (signupgenius, eventbrite, evite) allow you to export data?

            I will note with the above, even if we can export the data, it may lack certain fields that we would need or have them encoded that you may have to do a lot of post-processing to get things the way you need.

            73
            Andrew AC8JO

            Message 5 of 20 , May 5, 2012
              OK... I WILL check it out !

              Thanks .

              ======================== K8JHR ====================

              On 5/5/2012 8:34 AM, Chris Danis wrote:
              > As a software engineer, I totally understand where you're coming from.
              >
              > I do suggest you look at the links about forms support in Google Docs

            • gambilldr
              Message 6 of 20 , May 7, 2012
                Added the Signup Genius link to the Links area in this group.

                Regarding Google Docs, I am thinking about using the Google spreadsheet to track our membership so it can be shared with those that need it. Anyone have any concerns about security, posting email addresses, phone numbers, etc?

                73s
                Don Gambill KC8WAU
                President, Hillsdale County Amateur Radio Club
                Visit our website at www.hcarc.com

                --- In AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <n1bn@...> wrote:

                > Our club out here in Pasadena, Ca just discovered a very useful tool for any club that needs to sign up volunteers for events. Signupgenius.com - and it is free. Takes much of the fuss and mess out of event planning.
                >
                > Easy to establish and account, and create a "signup"
                >
                > Then you invite people to go to the site and join your "signup". You can "invite" via separate email addresses or even group addresses like yahoo groups.
                >
                > Easy to manage and edit the account, even after it is built.
                >
                > http://www.signupgenius.com/
                >
                > 73
                > Bruce N1BN
                > Pasadena Radio Club

              • Bruce Nolte
                Message 7 of 20 , May 7, 2012
                  Our club has a multi-layered approach to data collection, storage and event planning.

                  Treasurers computer: yearly membership records in a spreadsheet
                  Club Yahoo group: club messages & meeting notices
                  Board Yahoo group: board messages & meeting notices
                  Marathon yahoo group: recruiting & notices
                  Signupgenius.com: just for specific events (via Marathon yahoo group)

                  Signupgenius.com has just allowed me to fill all of the shifts for a May 20th marathon without having to make any phone calls or in person announcements.  All I had to do was build the "sign up" and paste in the group email address for our marathon yahoo group - done deal - 48 hours later the slots were magically filled in by the operators themselves.  What could be easier?  And it allows me to easily email these specific people from my "signup".

                  Not all thst useful for normal club membership tasks but for events this this - a slam dunk.

                  73
                  Bruce N1BN

                  Sent from my Cray X-MP

                  Visit our website at www.hcarc.com

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 7, 2012
                    Yeah... I do.

                    ===================== K8JHR =======================

                    On 5/7/2012 11:13 PM, gambilldr wrote:

                    Anyone have any concerns about security, posting email addresses,
                    phone numbers, etc?

                  • Jim Campbell
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 8, 2012
                      We have had many discussions about these issues at our Board Meetings recently.  We have decided to NOT put in members phone numbers on our roster that is on line .  We do print out the Roster for members when they ask for it, but will not put it on line, although we realize that this information can be accessed by QRZ, as well as other sites.  So far, no issues with that. That seems to be the biggest issue with our membership at this time.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

                      Jim Campbell    kb9rgu   CARMA - SARC - CPAAAS

                           kb9rgu@...       http://twitter.com/kb9rgu

                      Visit our website at www.hcarc.com

                      --- In AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <n1bn@...> wrote:

                      > Our club out here in Pasadena, Ca just discovered a very useful tool for any club that needs to sign up volunteers for events. Signupgenius.com - and it is free. Takes much of the fuss and mess out of event planning.
                      >
                      > Easy to establish and account, and create a "signup"
                      >
                      > Then you invite people to go to the site and join your "signup". You can "invite" via separate email addresses or even group addresses like yahoo groups.
                      >
                      > Easy to manage and edit the account, even after it is built.
                      >
                      > http://www.signupgenius.com/
                      >
                      > 73
                      > Bruce N1BN
                      > Pasadena Radio Club

                    • Norman Schklar
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 8, 2012
                        I think we all have concerns.  Being an Amateur Radio Operator really makes your contact info very public.
                        We are considering posting new members names and calls on our web site.  The hope is that it'll make it easier for the group to recognize them and be brought into the club realm more quickly.
                        I think name, home town and call sign are enough to post public.  But we haven't done it!

                        Norm Schklar

                        Visit our website at www.hcarc.com

                        --- In AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <n1bn@...> wrote:

                        > Our club out here in Pasadena, Ca just discovered a very useful tool for any club that needs to sign up volunteers for events. Signupgenius.com - and it is free. Takes much of the fuss and mess out of event planning.
                        >
                        > Easy to establish and account, and create a "signup"
                        >
                        > Then you invite people to go to the site and join your "signup". You can "invite" via separate email addresses or even group addresses like yahoo groups.
                        >
                        > Easy to manage and edit the account, even after it is built.
                        >
                        > http://www.signupgenius.com/
                        >
                        > 73
                        > Bruce N1BN
                        > Pasadena Radio Club

                      • Jim Campbell
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 8, 2012
                          Agreed that name, call sign , and town of residence should be enough, and we also have the email as well, although there are some that have requested to NOT put that in, and we have honored their request.  We use a special group email, so that data mining is more difficult, but, of course, NOT impossible.  We have an excellent Moderator for the group's that we use, so mining is at a minimum , it at all.

                          Visit our website at www.hcarc.com

                          --- In AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <n1bn@...> wrote:

                          > Our club out here in Pasadena, Ca just discovered a very useful tool for any club that needs to sign up volunteers for events. Signupgenius.com - and it is free. Takes much of the fuss and mess out of event planning.
                          >
                          > Easy to establish and account, and create a "signup"
                          >
                          > Then you invite people to go to the site and join your "signup". You can "invite" via separate email addresses or even group addresses like yahoo groups.
                          >
                          > Easy to manage and edit the account, even after it is built.
                          >
                          > http://www.signupgenius.com/
                          >
                          > 73
                          > Bruce N1BN
                          > Pasadena Radio Club

                        • Bruce Nolte
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 8, 2012
                            I do not know of anyone using Signupgenius.com as an online club roster - that is not its purpose.  It is just a tool for event planning - and only asks for email address.
                            73
                            Bruce N1BN

                            Sent from my Cray X-MP

                            On May 8, 2012, at 4:25 AM, Jim Campbell <camp637@...> wrote:

                            Agreed that name, call sign , and town of residence should be enough, and we also have the email as well, although there are some that have requested to NOT put that in, and we have honored their request.  We use a special group email, so that data mining is more difficult, but, of course, NOT impossible.  We have an excellent Moderator for the group's that we use, so mining is at a minimum , it at all.

                            Jim Campbell    kb9rgu   CARMA - SARC - CPAAAS

                                 kb9rgu@...       http://twitter.com/kb9rgu
                            Indicator_arrows_circle Checking for availability of this username ...

                            Visit our website at www.hcarc.com

                            --- In AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <n1bn@...> wrote:

                            > Our club out here in Pasadena, Ca just discovered a very useful tool for any club that needs to sign up volunteers for events. Signupgenius.com - and it is free. Takes much of the fuss and mess out of event planning.
                            >
                            > Easy to establish and account, and create a "signup"
                            >
                            > Then you invite people to go to the site and join your "signup". You can "invite" via separate email addresses or even group addresses like yahoo groups.
                            >
                            > Easy to manage and edit the account, even after it is built.
                            >
                            > http://www.signupgenius.com/
                            >
                            > 73
                            > Bruce N1BN
                            > Pasadena Radio Club

                          • Ed Greany
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 8, 2012
                              Our team has used a Yahoogroups site since even prior to Yahoo taking the Groups over many years ago. We do not publish our roster on the website or elsewhere except in the <Files> section of our yahoogroups site. We also limit the site to invitees only to ensure only current members have access to it. Our roster includes:
                              • Full Name
                              • Physical Address
                              • Home phone
                              • Cell phone
                              • Work phone
                              • Fax
                              • Ham callsign
                              • GMRS callsign
                              • email address
                              When printing the roster, the above is all that prints on three pages. The roster also includes:
                              • REACT Life Member ID
                              • Shirt size
                              • Member type (regular, family, junior)
                              • GMRS expiration date
                              • Year joined
                              • ARRL member?
                              • ICS training (100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800)
                              • Auto insurance? (To drive/tow trailer for team)
                              • Equipment (CB, FRS, 2M, 220, 440, HF, GMRS
                              We do not include DOB anywhere
                              All the above is on the first worksheet. The next worksheet includes any last year members who have left and we sincerely want them back. The third worksheet is our Silent Mic retired unit numbers, name, etc.

                              All this makes for a total and complete database all in one single file which is distributed monthly (by yahoogroups) to all members with email (95%). Those without email can receive a copy at the monthly meeting.

                              Ed, KB6DOL / KAD6554

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 8, 2012
                                Norm, I think that's a good idea.  I just had to introduce a new club member to some "morning roundtable regulars" because even after I got him into the rotation, they didn't seem like they were interacting too well (part of this can be attributed to the nature of the conversation, as it went towards something that was more one-on-one between the two).  Once I did that (which was at the end of their "side conversation"), they welcomed him in.  :)

                                Even if you don't post them on the website, perhaps at least an email to the membership welcoming and introducing new members.  This way, some of the people that can't come to meetings will have an idea who those people are and make it more likely that they can get someone on the repeater(s).

                                73
                                Andrew AC8JO

                                Visit our website at www.hcarc.com