Introductions, Please

  • danromanchik
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 25, 2012
      Hi, folks--

      I'm kind of overwhelmed by the response we've gotten so far to this mailing list. 37 have signed up in the first 24 hours!

      One of the most widespread ham club traditions is introductions at the start of a meetings. In that vein, I'd like us all to introduce ourselves to one another. Please feel free to include as much or as little detail as you feel comfortable with.

      As for myself, I've been a ham since I was 16 years old (41 years ago). I was QRT for a long time, but about ten years ago now, I got back into the hobby in a big way. I served as president of ARROW (Ann Arbor, MI) twice, served as the MI Section Affiliated Club Coordinator for several years, and am now the MI Section Training Manager. I teach classes and have written study guides for the Tech and General Class exams.

      On the air, I operate mostly CW on HF, but also get on the repeater from time to time, and like to work public service event. I also enjoy building stuff and have built a bunch of kits.

      73,

      Dan KB6NU
    • Ed Greany
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 25, 2012
        Hi Dan,

        I guess you are a transplant from the west coast with a "6" call. KB6DOL here and the name is Ed Greany and I hail from Pinon Hills, CA located in the "upper SoCal desert". Thanks for initiating this group of leaders.

        I've been a ham for about 30 years and do mostly fm along with GMRS. I am a member of CREST Communications, Inc., an ARRL affiliate club and until one year ago also the largest REACT team in the U.S. where I have held the position of president for most of those 30 years. My team has about 6 or 7 GMRS repeaters on most of the major mountaintops in SoCal with one of the strongest GMRS repeater network in the state. My call is KAD6554.

        We use GMRS as "bait" to introduce new communicators into ham radio especially for family members with little interest at first to studying or testing. Once we get them to PTT then half the battle has been won. Our team (aka club) is approximately 50% hams.

        I am one of the two original authorized dealers for the Wouxun dual band radio in the U.S. Most of my sales are word-of-mouth do to my low pricing template. That's about all I will say on this subject.

        I am a retired fraud investigator fo 28 years and own a primary second business called Frantz Oil Filters (www.FrantzOil.com) which keeps me active and busy in my retired days. My hobbies besides ham radios include restoring Model A Fords, playing organ, and gold prospecting. I help the wife (Robin, KC6AEP) on my 3.5 acres with her gourd raising. She is a gourd artist.

        As a former Navy submarine Sonarman I am also kept busy as V.P. for my USS Will Rogers Veteran's Association. I just chaired the reunion held last October in San Diego. So you see, I do keep busy.

        That's about it for me. I need to go check my rain gauge for my morning report to CoCoRAHS.

        73

        Ed, KB6DOL

      • John Myers, KD8MQ
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 25, 2012
          Hi Dan,

          I'm John, KD8MQ. I'm president of the local Amateur radio Club. I'm also the Newsletter Editor. a few years ago, I was unhappy with the lack of activity in our group, so I ran for President. I'm currently on my 3rd, and final year as President. I'll continue doing the newsletter, because that is my first love.

          I was first licensed in December, 1980. My main interests in Amateur Radio are portable contest operations, homebrewing, and Fox-hunting.

          I worked in TV repair for about 25 years, then moved into Traffic Signal & Decorative Lighting. I also build web pages on the side.

          73,

          De John, KD8MQ
          Alliance, OH

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 25, 2012
            Hey !!! maybe you can connect with Mike Hill W8DER and see if we can
            get some inter-state fox hunts going ... he is a leading proponent and
            a tough customer competitor in our area. This would accurately
            describe Tom K8TB also. Great guys.

            ------------------------------ K8JHR --------------------------------

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
              hey, that sounds great! But. . . we'd have to meet halfway, perhaps in Toledo. :-)

              we have a pretty active group here in NE Ohio.

              John, KD8MQ

              On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:

              Hey !!! maybe you can connect with Mike Hill W8DER and see if we can
              get some inter-state fox hunts going ... he is a leading proponent and
              a tough customer competitor in our area. This would accurately
              describe Tom K8TB also. Great guys.

              ------------------------------ K8JHR --------------------------------

              On 4/25/2012 12:09 PM, John Myers, KD8MQ wrote:

              My main interests in Amateur
              > Radio are portable contest operations, homebrewing, and Fox-hunting.

            • Frank Haas KB4T
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
                Greetings All!

                I am Frank N. Haas KB4T. Licensed 47 years. Started in Ham Radio at age 14
                after 3 years of experimentation and SWLing. Licensed in junior high school
                in New Jersey. Have lived in Florida since age 17.

                Spent most of my operating time for 40+ years on CW, mostly on NTS as a
                traffic handler and CW ragchewer. Had early interest in contesting but not
                so much now. Have ZERO interest in DX. Today I split my operating time
                between straight key & bug CW and Enhanced SSB ragchewing. Also playing in
                the virtual ham radio world on QSONET and HamSphere. Over the years, I've
                held these ARRL appointments: ORS, OPS, OO, OBS, Assistant Director and EC.

                After graduating from college with a BA, worked in radio broadcast
                journalism for a few years. Found it unsatisfying. Pursued my burning desire
                to become an RF tech. Now celebrating my 34th year of nearly continuous
                employment in the Land Mobile, Personal Computing, voice and data
                communications network integration field. The last 8 years have been even
                more satisfying as a Power Line Interference Investigator and Comm Systems
                Tech for a large electric utility here in Florida. I also own and manage a
                small personal computing sales and service company celebrating its 23rd
                anniversary this year. Amateur Extra Class since 1979. Also hold FCC GROL
                (formerly First Class Radiotelephone Opr), NARTE Master RF Technician
                Certification and numerous other industry certifications.

                Over 47 years of active ham radio involvement, I've been President,
                Secretary and Treasurer of my local ham radio club multiple times. I've been
                EC of our county. I've repaired radios, built towers, helped build and erect
                antennas, provide technical consultation, taught ham radio classes, been a
                VE and active emergency communications participant. I've built and
                maintained VHF and UHF repeaters. I've been a control operator and
                Yahoogroup owner and moderator. I'm currently on the Board of Directors for
                the international Straight Key Century Club.

                Professional obligations over the years have created brief periods where my
                involvement in local ham radio activities has waned somewhat. Yet I've been
                a dues paying member of the local club continuously since 1973 (39 years.)

                The hobby seems to have shifted from a mostly technically-oriented avocation
                to an appliance-based past-time with substantially less technical
                understanding and interest. At the same time, we have all witnessed a
                societal shift from a group-oriented "work together" model to a wholly
                self-focused model. The evolution of our parental practices and social mores
                has created generations focused solely on "What's In It For Me" (WIIFM).
                Most people seem so self-absorbed and spoiled that anything that requires
                personal responsibility and effort is shunned as repulsive. To succeed in
                Ham Radio requires effort, education, patience and perseverance. These
                qualities seem lacking today which may explain why the hobby is so bottom
                heavy these days.

                Amateur Extra Class hams were my personal idols. They were knowledgeable,
                experienced and (for the most part) exhibited the finest qualities of ham
                radio. They were often more than willing to share their expertise. Amateur
                Extra Class was a badge of honor and a sign of true achievement. Today,
                thanks to lowered standards, most Amateur Extra Class operators have little
                technical knowledge, often exhibit poor operating practices and are so very
                proud that they memorized the question pool and passed their test with
                little understanding of the underlying theory. Instead of the personal pride
                of accomplishment, they are solely concerned about the STATUS their Amateur
                Extra Class license bestows upon them. Ham Radio does mirror contemporary
                society.

                I'm not as proud of ham radio today as I once was. It's likely that my
                attitude is significantly impacted by the WIIFM attitude exhibited by so
                many I meet. To be a leader among hams once required highly respected traits
                such as knowledge, operating skill, compassion and leadership skills. Now it
                seems that anyone who can spell and form a coherent sentence is shunned
                because they make other lesser humans feel overwhelmed, intimidated or
                embarrassed. Perhaps I'm immersed in a sea of mediocrity without a view to
                the (superior?) larger universe. I speak with hams all over the country and
                I seem to encounter the same sort of characters.

                I clearly need an attitude makeover. The electrodes need to be attached and
                a few milliamperes of kilovoltage applied to get my head re-aligned. I once
                enjoyed being a leader in the ham radio community. Now I feel overwhelmed by
                effects of poor performing public school systems, bad parenting, narcissism
                and really bad manners. I truly feel as if I'm on the outside looking in
                and, frankly, I don't like what I see. Perhaps this group might be able to
                help.

                I didn't intend to become a curmudgeon. I believe I was pushed into it by
                unrealistic expectations in the face of a devolving society.

                73,

                Frank N. Haas KB4T
                Florida
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 27, 2012
                  Gee ... thanks for the downer, Frank. I was feeling pretty good about
                  becoming a ham in the past few years... passing my Extra Exam...
                  learning how to build kits... winning a prize for designing antennas...
                  becoming part of the "design team" of a commercial antenna company...
                  being invited to be a member of multiple contest teams... being invited
                  to operate some special events stations (e.g., Ships on the Air) ...
                  being appointed to a repeater board... designing and building small
                  accessory circuits... and so forth.

                  But now... I see I have not done enough and should be ashamed about
                  being an appliance operator (I mean amateur radio operator) and that
                  I have not done enough in the past four years as a ham ... it now
                  appears I spent 30 years in the wrong profession and should have stayed
                  out of ham radio because I just ain't good enough to measure up to the
                  standards listed in your diatribe... oops, I mean bio sketch. which is
                  more of a missive than a biography.

                  Shoot... I don't dare post MY background now.

                  Happy trails y'all.