Current workshop sessions and some changes

  • danromanchik
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2012
      After conducting this workshop twice now, I'm contemplating some changes. First, here's the current list of sessions:

      Leadership: Characteristics, Team Building
      The World of Ham Radio
      The Ham Radio Club and its Activities
      Membership: Recruiting and Retention
      Leadership: Setting Goals
      Evaluating Your Club
      Leadership: Communication Skills
      Moving Forward

      I had originally thought it would take about eight hours to get through this, including lunches and breaks. Well, as it turned out, in both workshops, we finished earlier than I'd expected. I think the biggest reason for this is that some of the later topics were actually covered in some of the earlier session. For example, we talke about how good communications are important the "Ham Radio Club and Its Activities" session, making the latter session moot.

      So, I'm thinking of changing this up a bit, and I'd like to get your opinion. Here's the new list that I'm thinking about:

      Leadership: Characteristics
      The World of Ham Radio
      The Ham Radio Club and its Activities
      Membership: Recruiting and Retention
      Leadership: Team Building
      Leadership: Setting Goals
      Evaluating Your Club
      Moving Forward

      For the team-building and goal-setting sessions I'm going to try to come up with class exercises to get us going. For the final session, instead of just being a review session, I'll have the participants do some blue-sky thinking about what they can do with their clubs and perhaps have each come up with a specific idea to take back to their clubs.

      What do you all think?

      73,

      Dan KB6NU
      ARRL MI Section Training Manager
      Read my ham radio blog at http://www.kb6nu.com
    • tsmerk
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2012
        I was going to say that the team building and setting goals could be combined into one topic called "leadership," but when I saw that you were planning participation exercises, this would take up more time, so you might want to keep them as two separate topics as you have them listed right now.

        I'm not clear on the main focus of your presentation, but it looks like the topic "The Ham Radio Club and its Activities" will be a nice segue into the following topics. The "ham radio club" session could introduce some questions, and then the following classes would answer the questions.