Good team building exercise?

  • Dan Romanchik KB6NU
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2 6:46 AM
      As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm probably going to be splitting the leadership module into two separate modules: leadership characteristics and team-buiding. I also want to include a short exercise in the team-building module.

      So, have any of you ever participated in a team-building exercise that you found worthwhile? If so, can you describe it here? If not, perhaps we could brainstorm a bit about what might make an appropriate exercise for a group like this.

      Thanks & 73!

      Dan KB6NU
      CW Geek, Ham Radio Instructor
      Station Manager, WA2HOM at the Hands-On Museum (www.wa2hom.org)
      Read my ham radio blog at http://www.kb6nu.com
    • W8DER
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2 7:37 AM
        Trying to remember that favorite team building activity from the company
        retreat? Or that exercise from when you were young enough to be in the
        Jaycees? These links may help:

        http://www.teampedia.net
        http://www.innovativeteambuilding.co.uk/free-team-building-activities.htm
        or just Google "Team Building Activities"

        Mike, W8DER

        On 5/2/2012 9:46 AM, Dan Romanchik KB6NU wrote:
        > As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm probably going to be splitting the leadership module into two separate modules: leadership characteristics and team-buiding. I also want to include a short exercise in the team-building module.
        >
        > So, have any of you ever participated in a team-building exercise that you found worthwhile? If so, can you describe it here? If not, perhaps we could brainstorm a bit about what might make an appropriate exercise for a group like this.
        >
        > Thanks& 73!
        >
        > Dan KB6NU
        > CW Geek, Ham Radio Instructor
        > Station Manager, WA2HOM at the Hands-On Museum (www.wa2hom.org)
        > Read my ham radio blog at http://www.kb6nu.com

      • Tom Smerk
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2 8:02 AM

          I appreciate the links, and your good intentions behind posting these, but I have been to so many team building sessions, and I have never once seen any of this carried out. It's like we are at a seminar saying "this is good - this will work," and then nothing further ever happens. At least that has been my own experience. I can't speak for everyone!

          Trying to remember that favorite team building activity from the company
          retreat? Or that exercise from when you were young enough to be in the
          Jaycees? These links may help:

          http://www.teampedia.net
          http://www.innovativeteambuilding.co.uk/free-team-building-activities.htm
          or just Google "Team Building Activities"

          Mike, W8DER

          On 5/2/2012 9:46 AM, Dan Romanchik KB6NU wrote:
          > As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm probably going to be splitting the leadership module into two separate modules: leadership characteristics and team-buiding. I also want to include a short exercise in the team-building module.
          >
          > So, have any of you ever participated in a team-building exercise that you found worthwhile? If so, can you describe it here? If not, perhaps we could brainstorm a bit about what might make an appropriate exercise for a group like this.
          >
          > Thanks& 73!
          >
          > Dan KB6NU
          > CW Geek, Ham Radio Instructor
          > Station Manager, WA2HOM at the Hands-On Museum (www.wa2hom.org)
          > Read my ham radio blog at http://www.kb6nu.com

        • Ed Thierbach
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2 8:44 AM
            I think the best team-building activities take place outside of a classroom; the "canned" ones are usually just too artificial and short to have much real effect IMO.

            If the goal is to promote camaraderie within our clubs, then I'd suggest a discussion time where participants talk about what has and hasn't worked for them and their club.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 2 8:44 PM
              Seriously, Dan... no.

              It is a fair question... but I have never played one I thought was wroth
              my time.
              Good luck on the project. I really hope you find one that works !!
              ;-)

              On 5/2/2012 9:46 AM, Dan Romanchik KB6NU wrote:

              > So, have any of you ever participated in a team-building exercise that
              you found worthwhile?

              --.