RE: Introductions Please..... Rich Ranta K8JX

  • yogithedog.geo
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2012
      I haven't been asked this stuff in a long, long time. I became interested in Ham Radio probably back in 1955, when I listened on a Zenith Transocanic Radio. I heard the Olypmics on the short wave band. Wow. I can almost still feel the amazement of imaginating what it was like to be there. I did get a CB license, KLN-5743 but CB, isn't Ham. so back in 1970 I earned my Novice class license and got the long long callsign of WN8HJX. Wow. I worked my way up through each class and have kept each original license. I hated learning the Morse Code, till I learned it! Since 1970 to now, I have only owned one microphone, just gave it away: lack of use! I love the code and our club started a 5 WPM 10 meter Net. not for the faint of heart! You are going to be there for a while if you have 10 members sign in!
      I got involved with MARA, The Michigan Amateur Radio Alliance through some very special and dear friends ( W8ZP, N8NFZ, KA8SHZ, W8VOM ect). I put my college and vocational stuff to good work, where it was needed. My college interest was "EVERYTHING". Oh, how I do thrist for knowledge! LOL. I did manage to major in psychology ( large emp on clinical ) and computer science, but that was given in the business dept. Fortran, Cobol, and even Basic. I have carried that love of all things technical through most of my life. I'm 62 years young and am involved with our club as president, trustee, web person, Ham of the Year coordinator, and oodles of other stuff. after 21 years you'd think I'd get tired of it. nope. A friend of mine, who just became a silent key last year, and myself, started up The Michigan Amateur Radio Telegrapher's Society. Not a club, just a focal point in getting like interested people involved with teaching the Morse Code.

      After I passed my 20 WPM and the theory, I imidiately started teaching Ham radio in our club. Not a lot, but oh did I ever put the work in on it. a sylabus for general class and above?
      I'm glad I put all this investment into Amateur Radio. A wonderful way to learn and make friends.

      Rich Ranta K8JX

      Ok, visit our web site http://www.w8usa.org