Ideas for Club Programs..

  • K8TB
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2014
      So everyone else in the room stepped back in unison. I had no idea what
      was going on. But I am now the president of the Holland ARC (Holland,
      Michigan).

      One item that I am very concerned about is to have a solid program for
      each meeting. I have a few lined up, but I am looking for more ideas.

      What else have others clubs put forth for programs? I am also looking at
      having a set of videos as a backup if we can't get a live body, or they
      had to cancel. i have quite a few Dxpedition videos, and Youtube has a
      bunch, but are there any other videos out there worth showing to the club?

      Tom Bosscher K8TB, in West Michigan were it is 30 degrees colder than
      Alaska right now.
    • Norman Schklar
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2014
        Share your ideas that are already in place!

        These come to mind:

        ARES

        Digital Repeaters

        Live DXpedition talks

        demonstration of "take to the field" antenna systems

        Home Brew or interface Show and Tell

        Members tell of interesting event in their Ham Radio Life

        What's Field Day?

        Satellite communications

        Tricks and tools to Learning CW

        Go Boxes

        Local Law Enforcement Communications systems

        How do the QSL Bureaus work.

        APRS show and tell.

        What and Why Contesting and DXCC

        What do the VHF contesting groups do to improve their score

        What has the ARRL done for me lately?

        73

        Norm, WA4ZXV
        Glad I'm not program chair person!
        Norcross, GA  www.GARS.org

        Norm

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2014
          On 1/6/2014 9:37 PM, K8TB wrote:
          > So everyone else in the room stepped back in unison. I had no idea what
          > was going on. But I am now the president of the Holland ARC (Holland,
          > Michigan).

          Gee... I am sorry, Tom.

          > One item that I am very concerned about is to have a solid program for
          > each meeting. I have a few lined up, but I am looking for more ideas.

          Good plan. Good luck.

          I hereby coney my congratulations... or condolences....
          as YOU prefer!

          I will Let you know if I think of any programs you
          might try, right now I cannot think of anything.

          Maybe some talks on odd or portable antennas.
          Or maybe spark more interest and involvement in FD.
          I think there is a guy in Muskegon that likes
          to talk about his version of the quad antennas - the
          MARA club heard him a couple of years back... or
          maybe you could line up a talk on Arduino and
          Blueberries or was it Poison Berries and ham radio?
          Maybe even something about contesting as that
          does not get much coverage lately... maybe something
          to promote QRP - like your park project a couple
          years back - Hank Greeb likes to QRP-it and is
          very enthusiastic about QRP and ham radio in general -
          maybe he or one of his QRP guys could present on that...
          or possibly a joint meeting with the Big Rapids Club -
          lots of nice guys up there and they like to attend
          programs -maybe they have an idea that you could
          put together, and they would come down to see and hear...
          or maybe someone could present on the current state
          of confusion regarding HF amplifiers, or do a review
          of new Transceivers, or ...

          You might survey the hot topics discussed on QRZ.com
          forums to see what guys are talking about... that might
          give you an idea of what is of current interest among
          other hams.

          You could even schedule a strictly social event or two
          where hams... and may be XYLs... could have a good time.
          Your dinner-meetings fit that bill, but maybe we could
          conjure up additional outings that would be fun as a
          club activity - even if it was not strictly a ham radio
          activity - that would mix it up between fun stuff and
          radio business...

          but right now, I cannot think of ANYTHING to suggest ...

          Good luck, VOM

          ------------------------ JHR -------------------------
        • Richard MI Ranta
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2014

            HARC is in very capable hands! I wish you well and if you ever need anything, please feel free to ask. I put this out knowing that there are times when your pounding your head against the wall wondering what to do.

            I wore the hat of president for a few years and the most important thing I learned, from the hard way, I will add, is that folks primary come to club meetings to chat with their friends. Watch what happens when they gather together: they’re talking to each other. This is just one thing I learned, but I think a good thing. Give them time to visit.

            You might try explaining to members how a cell system works. It is fascinating and not very people realize how the system works.

            Just an suggestion.

            Happy New Years to you and your XYL and the HARC

            “Wise sayings often fall on barren ground, but a kind word is never thrown away.”
            --Arthur Helps

                  Rich k8jx &  Scooter the cat

          • Bruce Nolte
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2014
              Here are some topics we have used at the Pasadena Radio Radio Club (W6KA) over the years.
              * DIY Project Show and Tell
              * Ham Radio Apps and Websites
              * Antenna Show and Tell (bring in smaller antenna to meeting)
              * Parking Lot Swap Meet Night + Show and Tell
              * "Go Kits" Show and Tell
              * Field Day Movie Night
              * Ham Radio Youtube Night (a backup idea never used yet)
              * Dxpeditions (local hams with good Powerpoint type shows)
              * Tower installs (local pro)
              * Repeaters
              * Latest gear (local HRO rep)
              * Digital modes demos
              * Satellite demos
              Etc...

              73
              Bruce N1BN

              Sent from my Cray X-MP

              On Jan 6, 2014, at 6:37 PM, K8TB <k8tb@...> wrote:

              So everyone else in the room stepped back in unison. I had no idea what
              was going on. But I am now the president of the Holland ARC (Holland,
              Michigan).

              One item that I am very concerned about is to have a solid program for
              each meeting. I have a few lined up, but I am looking for more ideas.

              What else have others clubs put forth for programs? I am also looking at
              having a set of videos as a backup if we can't get a live body, or they
              had to cancel. i have quite a few Dxpedition videos, and Youtube has a
              bunch, but are there any other videos out there worth showing to the club?

              Tom Bosscher K8TB, in West Michigan were it is 30 degrees colder than
              Alaska right now.

            • Dan Romanchik KB6NU
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2014
                Finding good topics are usually not the problem. Getting people to actually do the presentation is. All those topics that Norm and Richards have listed are great topics, but finding someone to talk about them could be a challenge.

                You really have to always be on the lookout for club members that are doing interesting things. When you hear about an interesting project, ask that person if he or she would be willing to do a presentation. If a guy just bought a new rig, ask him to give a presentation. Do you have club members working with local CERT teams or the Red Cross? Ask them to give a presentation. I think you get the idea. :)

                Also someone mentioned social events. If you have a summer BBQ or wienie roast, and then say, a white elephant gift exchange in December, that's two meetings you've taken care of right off the bat. These are a lot of fun and don't require twisting anyone's arm. :)

                73!

                Dan KB6NU
                CW Geek, Ham Radio Instructor
                Station Manager, WA2HOM at the Hands-On Museum (www.wa2hom.org)
                Read my ham radio blog at http://www.kb6nu.com

                On Jan 6, 2014, at Jan 6,9:37 PM, K8TB <k8tb@...> wrote:
                > So everyone else in the room stepped back in unison. I had no idea what
                > was going on. But I am now the president of the Holland ARC (Holland,
                > Michigan).
                >
                > One item that I am very concerned about is to have a solid program for
                > each meeting. I have a few lined up, but I am looking for more ideas.
                >
                > What else have others clubs put forth for programs? I am also looking at
                > having a set of videos as a backup if we can't get a live body, or they
                > had to cancel. i have quite a few Dxpedition videos, and Youtube has a
                > bunch, but are there any other videos out there worth showing to the club?
                >
                > Tom Bosscher K8TB, in West Michigan were it is 30 degrees colder than
                > Alaska right now.
              • Bruce Nolte
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7, 2014
                  By the way the Pasadena Radio Club owns it's own digital projector.  Bought cheap at the local TRW ham swap about 7 years ago - still working fine.  It only has VGA (15 pin) and composite inputs but gets the job done.  It comes to every meeting - even if the speaker is bringing their own.

                  I believe having a club owned projector is KEY these days.  New at office supply type store or Fry's Electronics for $400 to $500 when on "sale".

                  Meetings without "eye candy" or graphics or displays are deadly boring - and could spell the end of a club - if it becomes a trend.

                  And I like to run various Field Day video, mine, or off of Youtube for about 20 minutes projected on the screen as people come into the meeting room - just to have more "eye candy" going as the crowd forms.  Kind of fun. And a test for the projector.

                  73
                  Bruce N1BN
                  Pasadena Radio Club - W6KA

                  Sent from my Cray X-MP

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 7, 2014
                    Yeah... as an old professor friend used to say:

                    If you can't teach... show pictures..."

                    But, if anyone played YouTube vids as a program... I would probably
                    quit on the moment. Surely we can do better than that.