Introduction for Tom N6TKT

  • tsmerk
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2012
      Here's my introduction. I had one posted before, but I realized that I left out some things that may be of interest, so this is a new version and the old version has been deleted.

      My name is Tom Smerk. My call sign is N6TKT and my CB call sign is KKQ-2795 (from the early 1970's). I was a CBer in the `70's and then got my ham license in 1988, but I was inactive most of the time since about 1990 until recently. I hold the Extra Class amateur radio license. In the late 1980's and early 1990's, I was a member of REACT and also was active with the American Red Cross as a member of the Disaster Action Team, editor of the "Disaster Action News," and ARC first aid and CPR instructor. Currently, I am currently a member of the San Diego Group ARES, SkyWarn (Storm Spotters), RACES and CERT. We are also forming a new Statewide first-response group known as California Citizens Corps, which is currently recruiting members from RACES and CERT teams locally. I am also a VE for ARRL and locally for SANDRA, our local VE connection. I am also a member of the Mountain Empire Amateur Radio Club.

      My equipment is a 1977 Atlas 350-XL transceiver, which I consider to be the "holy grail" of ham transceivers. I have an Atlas 210 transceiver that I use as a backup and for portable use such as emergency communications and field day events. This one is set up to run from a Belkin 12 volt backup UPS which can be recharged from a solar cell. With the 350, I use a Shure 444 desk microphone, and my antenna is a Cobra UltraLite Senior dipole, up 35 feet and running from the top of the hill behind my house down into my front patio. For 10-20 MHz, I have a Shakespeare "Big Stick" vertical antenna, which is also my CB antenna, and a Gap Titan 10-80 HF antenna that I will use once repairs are completed. My Atlas uses an old Shure 404C hand held microphone. I also have a Kenwood TH-F6A 144/220/440 handi-talkie, a 40-channel Pace CB base station, several CB handi-talkies, Grundig and Sony shortwave radios, three other multiband world receivers, and five scanners, including my favorite, the GRE PSR-800!

      When I am not on the radio or listening to my scanners or shortwave, I am a professor of Business Information Technology for the San Diego Community College District. My main focus is to train adults to gain employment as office workers and administrators. My favorite topics are Windows 7, Internet and Web Page Design. I also work as a "Virtual Assistant" and teach an online Virtual Assistant class for Grossmont College. I offer a variety of services, but I special in document editing, proofreading, web page design, and developing online training to complement textbooks. I have also been a professional musician since 1965 and occasionally play around the area either as a solo artist or with a jazz band. I have six CDs available for purchase on my entertainer web site at http://musician.tomsmerk.com I have a few books that I am writing that I might actually get published some day!

      My hobbies are traveling, estate sales and classic autos and muscle cars. I am married and have four children, one deceased and three living out of state. I have a ham radio web site at http://radio.tomsmerk.com The focus of the web site is to offer links to interesting material for experienced hams and to offer training and interesting reading for new hams. I also like to introduce interesting topics for discussion. It is probably obvious how much I enjoy all sorts of radios, and it is a pleasure for me to share my hobby with you. I welcome interaction with the group. Please contact me at either tsmerk at sdccd dot edu or N6TKT at arrl dot net with your comments and suggestions.