Re: [AmateurRadioLeadership] Re: HamRadioWebsites.Net

  • William Haggard
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2013

      From: Richards <jrichards@...>
      To: AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:06 PM
      Subject: Re: [AmateurRadioLeadership] Re: HamRadioWebsites.Net

      You are not wrong in that a club that has no interesting activities is probably not going to be helped by any professional writer. However, not every club has a talented writer as a member. They may be great, talented and interesting hams but they may not be trained writers. I also see that a lot of club websites are created and left twisting in the wind with no updates for years when the member(s) become weary of the maintenance, or life just takes over. For example, I looked at an ARRL Section site today that was last updated for Hamfests in 2009. Website management can be a demanding task over time. Add to that the high probability that many clubs (especially small clubs) do not have a knowledgeable programmer or HTML/CSS coder as a member and you find a member that is frustrated after being tasked or volunteering to take on the care and feeding of a website. Yes, I know the Hindenburg was built by professionals and The Ark was built by amateurs. :) Just one hams opinion.

      William

      Nuts... I guess I am with Dan on this one... if your club cannot put a
      news letter or simple web page on the web, then it has already
      floundered. If you ship all the work out, you are just copping out on
      it.

      A newsletter or web page does not have to be complicated or highly
      technical to be effective -- but it MUST HAVE INTERESTING CONTENT -- and
      no ghost writers are going to be able to infuse a dull club with an
      exciting story - if the story is not intrinsically exciting, it just
      won't appeal no matter who writes it. If you cannot tell your own
      story, then perhaps you don't have enough story to tell. Good stories
      write themselves. These ghost writers won't be able to say more than
      you tell them to say... if you have good programs, interesting and fun
      activities, then newsletters write themselves. I wrote multiple
      newsletter for local chapters of national organizations for over 25
      years - and I quit only when the clubs had no news to tell - when stuff
      was happening, it was easy to write about it. It was either appealing
      to members or not - not based on the writing, but on what it was about.
      If you have nothing to talk about, then neither will the ghost writer.
      If you do have something to say, just say it.

      Probably not a popular view, but that is my take on it.

      On 5/9/2013 6:11 PM, William wrote:

      The liason feeds the text and photo's to HamRadioWebsites.Net and they
      do the rest.