RE: Building an informative web site.

  • Richard MI Ranta
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2013

      Basically, there are three main areas a web site “should” display:

      1.      What the club has accomplished in the past.

      2.      What the club is doing right now.

      3.      What the club has the capability to do in the future.

      I see no point in just typing information on a page and let people read it. I wish to engage the viewer, and that is easier by showing graphic photographs.  Think about web sites you have visited. What got you to stay and go further, and what got you to leave with a negative opinion of the site.

      As for contact information, I had the e-mail links under each officer and one link to mail the whole board at once. I did not, for security reasons, put the e-mail addresses of all the members, same goes for their telephone numbers. There are too many robots on the internet whose purpose and design are to collect such information.

      E-mail addresses are nice, but some time, folks might want to snail mail your club, that’s why the Post Office Box.

      The most important thing to do, is UPDATE and UPDATE often. Seeing information about a club that is 5 years old or links that don’t work anymore said volumes about the club.

      That’s my take on web site design.

      Rich K8JX

      Ex-webmaster of w8usa.org

      "The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today."

      Rich & Scooter the cat