Re: [AmateurRadioLeadership] Introductions, Please

  • John Myers, KD8MQ
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
      hey, that sounds great! But. . . we'd have to meet halfway, perhaps in Toledo. :-)

      we have a pretty active group here in NE Ohio.

      John, KD8MQ

      On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:

      Hey !!! maybe you can connect with Mike Hill W8DER and see if we can
      get some inter-state fox hunts going ... he is a leading proponent and
      a tough customer competitor in our area. This would accurately
      describe Tom K8TB also. Great guys.

      ------------------------------ K8JHR --------------------------------

      On 4/25/2012 12:09 PM, John Myers, KD8MQ wrote:

      My main interests in Amateur
      > Radio are portable contest operations, homebrewing, and Fox-hunting.

    • Frank Haas KB4T
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
        Greetings All!

        I am Frank N. Haas KB4T. Licensed 47 years. Started in Ham Radio at age 14
        after 3 years of experimentation and SWLing. Licensed in junior high school
        in New Jersey. Have lived in Florida since age 17.

        Spent most of my operating time for 40+ years on CW, mostly on NTS as a
        traffic handler and CW ragchewer. Had early interest in contesting but not
        so much now. Have ZERO interest in DX. Today I split my operating time
        between straight key & bug CW and Enhanced SSB ragchewing. Also playing in
        the virtual ham radio world on QSONET and HamSphere. Over the years, I've
        held these ARRL appointments: ORS, OPS, OO, OBS, Assistant Director and EC.

        After graduating from college with a BA, worked in radio broadcast
        journalism for a few years. Found it unsatisfying. Pursued my burning desire
        to become an RF tech. Now celebrating my 34th year of nearly continuous
        employment in the Land Mobile, Personal Computing, voice and data
        communications network integration field. The last 8 years have been even
        more satisfying as a Power Line Interference Investigator and Comm Systems
        Tech for a large electric utility here in Florida. I also own and manage a
        small personal computing sales and service company celebrating its 23rd
        anniversary this year. Amateur Extra Class since 1979. Also hold FCC GROL
        (formerly First Class Radiotelephone Opr), NARTE Master RF Technician
        Certification and numerous other industry certifications.

        Over 47 years of active ham radio involvement, I've been President,
        Secretary and Treasurer of my local ham radio club multiple times. I've been
        EC of our county. I've repaired radios, built towers, helped build and erect
        antennas, provide technical consultation, taught ham radio classes, been a
        VE and active emergency communications participant. I've built and
        maintained VHF and UHF repeaters. I've been a control operator and
        Yahoogroup owner and moderator. I'm currently on the Board of Directors for
        the international Straight Key Century Club.

        Professional obligations over the years have created brief periods where my
        involvement in local ham radio activities has waned somewhat. Yet I've been
        a dues paying member of the local club continuously since 1973 (39 years.)

        The hobby seems to have shifted from a mostly technically-oriented avocation
        to an appliance-based past-time with substantially less technical
        understanding and interest. At the same time, we have all witnessed a
        societal shift from a group-oriented "work together" model to a wholly
        self-focused model. The evolution of our parental practices and social mores
        has created generations focused solely on "What's In It For Me" (WIIFM).
        Most people seem so self-absorbed and spoiled that anything that requires
        personal responsibility and effort is shunned as repulsive. To succeed in
        Ham Radio requires effort, education, patience and perseverance. These
        qualities seem lacking today which may explain why the hobby is so bottom
        heavy these days.

        Amateur Extra Class hams were my personal idols. They were knowledgeable,
        experienced and (for the most part) exhibited the finest qualities of ham
        radio. They were often more than willing to share their expertise. Amateur
        Extra Class was a badge of honor and a sign of true achievement. Today,
        thanks to lowered standards, most Amateur Extra Class operators have little
        technical knowledge, often exhibit poor operating practices and are so very
        proud that they memorized the question pool and passed their test with
        little understanding of the underlying theory. Instead of the personal pride
        of accomplishment, they are solely concerned about the STATUS their Amateur
        Extra Class license bestows upon them. Ham Radio does mirror contemporary
        society.

        I'm not as proud of ham radio today as I once was. It's likely that my
        attitude is significantly impacted by the WIIFM attitude exhibited by so
        many I meet. To be a leader among hams once required highly respected traits
        such as knowledge, operating skill, compassion and leadership skills. Now it
        seems that anyone who can spell and form a coherent sentence is shunned
        because they make other lesser humans feel overwhelmed, intimidated or
        embarrassed. Perhaps I'm immersed in a sea of mediocrity without a view to
        the (superior?) larger universe. I speak with hams all over the country and
        I seem to encounter the same sort of characters.

        I clearly need an attitude makeover. The electrodes need to be attached and
        a few milliamperes of kilovoltage applied to get my head re-aligned. I once
        enjoyed being a leader in the ham radio community. Now I feel overwhelmed by
        effects of poor performing public school systems, bad parenting, narcissism
        and really bad manners. I truly feel as if I'm on the outside looking in
        and, frankly, I don't like what I see. Perhaps this group might be able to
        help.

        I didn't intend to become a curmudgeon. I believe I was pushed into it by
        unrealistic expectations in the face of a devolving society.

        73,

        Frank N. Haas KB4T
        Florida
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2012
          Gee ... thanks for the downer, Frank. I was feeling pretty good about
          becoming a ham in the past few years... passing my Extra Exam...
          learning how to build kits... winning a prize for designing antennas...
          becoming part of the "design team" of a commercial antenna company...
          being invited to be a member of multiple contest teams... being invited
          to operate some special events stations (e.g., Ships on the Air) ...
          being appointed to a repeater board... designing and building small
          accessory circuits... and so forth.

          But now... I see I have not done enough and should be ashamed about
          being an appliance operator (I mean amateur radio operator) and that
          I have not done enough in the past four years as a ham ... it now
          appears I spent 30 years in the wrong profession and should have stayed
          out of ham radio because I just ain't good enough to measure up to the
          standards listed in your diatribe... oops, I mean bio sketch. which is
          more of a missive than a biography.

          Shoot... I don't dare post MY background now.

          Happy trails y'all.