Re: [AmateurRadioLeadership] Introductions, Please

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 25, 2012
      Hey !!! maybe you can connect with Mike Hill W8DER and see if we can
      get some inter-state fox hunts going ... he is a leading proponent and
      a tough customer competitor in our area. This would accurately
      describe Tom K8TB also. Great guys.

      ------------------------------ K8JHR --------------------------------

      On 4/25/2012 12:09 PM, John Myers, KD8MQ wrote:

      My main interests in Amateur
      > Radio are portable contest operations, homebrewing, and Fox-hunting.

    • John Myers, KD8MQ
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
        hey, that sounds great! But. . . we'd have to meet halfway, perhaps in Toledo. :-)

        we have a pretty active group here in NE Ohio.

        John, KD8MQ

        On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:

        Hey !!! maybe you can connect with Mike Hill W8DER and see if we can
        get some inter-state fox hunts going ... he is a leading proponent and
        a tough customer competitor in our area. This would accurately
        describe Tom K8TB also. Great guys.

        ------------------------------ K8JHR --------------------------------

        On 4/25/2012 12:09 PM, John Myers, KD8MQ wrote:

        My main interests in Amateur
        > Radio are portable contest operations, homebrewing, and Fox-hunting.

      • Frank Haas KB4T
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26, 2012
          Greetings All!

          I am Frank N. Haas KB4T. Licensed 47 years. Started in Ham Radio at age 14
          after 3 years of experimentation and SWLing. Licensed in junior high school
          in New Jersey. Have lived in Florida since age 17.

          Spent most of my operating time for 40+ years on CW, mostly on NTS as a
          traffic handler and CW ragchewer. Had early interest in contesting but not
          so much now. Have ZERO interest in DX. Today I split my operating time
          between straight key & bug CW and Enhanced SSB ragchewing. Also playing in
          the virtual ham radio world on QSONET and HamSphere. Over the years, I've
          held these ARRL appointments: ORS, OPS, OO, OBS, Assistant Director and EC.

          After graduating from college with a BA, worked in radio broadcast
          journalism for a few years. Found it unsatisfying. Pursued my burning desire
          to become an RF tech. Now celebrating my 34th year of nearly continuous
          employment in the Land Mobile, Personal Computing, voice and data
          communications network integration field. The last 8 years have been even
          more satisfying as a Power Line Interference Investigator and Comm Systems
          Tech for a large electric utility here in Florida. I also own and manage a
          small personal computing sales and service company celebrating its 23rd
          anniversary this year. Amateur Extra Class since 1979. Also hold FCC GROL
          (formerly First Class Radiotelephone Opr), NARTE Master RF Technician
          Certification and numerous other industry certifications.

          Over 47 years of active ham radio involvement, I've been President,
          Secretary and Treasurer of my local ham radio club multiple times. I've been
          EC of our county. I've repaired radios, built towers, helped build and erect
          antennas, provide technical consultation, taught ham radio classes, been a
          VE and active emergency communications participant. I've built and
          maintained VHF and UHF repeaters. I've been a control operator and
          Yahoogroup owner and moderator. I'm currently on the Board of Directors for
          the international Straight Key Century Club.

          Professional obligations over the years have created brief periods where my
          involvement in local ham radio activities has waned somewhat. Yet I've been
          a dues paying member of the local club continuously since 1973 (39 years.)

          The hobby seems to have shifted from a mostly technically-oriented avocation
          to an appliance-based past-time with substantially less technical
          understanding and interest. At the same time, we have all witnessed a
          societal shift from a group-oriented "work together" model to a wholly
          self-focused model. The evolution of our parental practices and social mores
          has created generations focused solely on "What's In It For Me" (WIIFM).
          Most people seem so self-absorbed and spoiled that anything that requires
          personal responsibility and effort is shunned as repulsive. To succeed in
          Ham Radio requires effort, education, patience and perseverance. These
          qualities seem lacking today which may explain why the hobby is so bottom
          heavy these days.

          Amateur Extra Class hams were my personal idols. They were knowledgeable,
          experienced and (for the most part) exhibited the finest qualities of ham
          radio. They were often more than willing to share their expertise. Amateur
          Extra Class was a badge of honor and a sign of true achievement. Today,
          thanks to lowered standards, most Amateur Extra Class operators have little
          technical knowledge, often exhibit poor operating practices and are so very
          proud that they memorized the question pool and passed their test with
          little understanding of the underlying theory. Instead of the personal pride
          of accomplishment, they are solely concerned about the STATUS their Amateur
          Extra Class license bestows upon them. Ham Radio does mirror contemporary
          society.

          I'm not as proud of ham radio today as I once was. It's likely that my
          attitude is significantly impacted by the WIIFM attitude exhibited by so
          many I meet. To be a leader among hams once required highly respected traits
          such as knowledge, operating skill, compassion and leadership skills. Now it
          seems that anyone who can spell and form a coherent sentence is shunned
          because they make other lesser humans feel overwhelmed, intimidated or
          embarrassed. Perhaps I'm immersed in a sea of mediocrity without a view to
          the (superior?) larger universe. I speak with hams all over the country and
          I seem to encounter the same sort of characters.

          I clearly need an attitude makeover. The electrodes need to be attached and
          a few milliamperes of kilovoltage applied to get my head re-aligned. I once
          enjoyed being a leader in the ham radio community. Now I feel overwhelmed by
          effects of poor performing public school systems, bad parenting, narcissism
          and really bad manners. I truly feel as if I'm on the outside looking in
          and, frankly, I don't like what I see. Perhaps this group might be able to
          help.

          I didn't intend to become a curmudgeon. I believe I was pushed into it by
          unrealistic expectations in the face of a devolving society.

          73,

          Frank N. Haas KB4T
          Florida
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 27, 2012
            Gee ... thanks for the downer, Frank. I was feeling pretty good about
            becoming a ham in the past few years... passing my Extra Exam...
            learning how to build kits... winning a prize for designing antennas...
            becoming part of the "design team" of a commercial antenna company...
            being invited to be a member of multiple contest teams... being invited
            to operate some special events stations (e.g., Ships on the Air) ...
            being appointed to a repeater board... designing and building small
            accessory circuits... and so forth.

            But now... I see I have not done enough and should be ashamed about
            being an appliance operator (I mean amateur radio operator) and that
            I have not done enough in the past four years as a ham ... it now
            appears I spent 30 years in the wrong profession and should have stayed
            out of ham radio because I just ain't good enough to measure up to the
            standards listed in your diatribe... oops, I mean bio sketch. which is
            more of a missive than a biography.

            Shoot... I don't dare post MY background now.

            Happy trails y'all.