HamRadioWebsites.Net

  • Dan Romanchik KB6NU
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
      In another thread, William Haggard writes, "Have you guys checked out www.HamRadioWebsites.Net? They can help with your website management issues and a neat newsletter." I think this topic is interesting enough to have its own thread.

      I have several questions about taking this approach:

      1. Can a service like this really be effective if those that are creating the website and newsletter are not part of the club? After all, someone still has to come up with the content.
      2. If there aren't some members engaged enough to do these kinds of things (we call them "club service" in Rotary), are they going to be engaged enough to do anything at all?

      73!

      Dan KB6NU
      CW Geek, Ham Radio Instructor
      Station Manager, WA2HOM at the Hands-On Museum (www.wa2hom.org)
      Read my ham radio blog at http://www.kb6nu.com
    • K8TB
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
        At the Holland, Mich club, we just had another ham in a day. 8 for 8.
        Thats' 8 new members. 8 here, 8 there, it adds up.

        But of significance is that the club voted on something that I've been
        working on for 6 months, a 2nd meeting.

        That meeting, on the 4th Monday (the normal meeting is the 2nd Monday)
        is for EAT.

        Not food EAT, EAT as Education and Training.

        These will be informal meetings, with 15-30 or 60 minutes segments
        by different members who will various subjects, large and small to other
        members. The "students" are not just new hams, but many hams who have no
        progressed beyond working the 2 meter repeater. I was flooded by members
        and visitors who asked for certain items to be taught, and people who
        volunteered to teach differetn subjects. From how to use a antenna
        tuner, to how to tie knots (a Coast Guardsman).

        I had two of the new hams come up to me and thank the club for willing
        to teach them.

        That is gratifying. This isn't easy, and some nights we may all just sit
        around, but it is a start.

        tom bosscher k8tb, secretary, Holland ARC
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
          RIGHT ON. SUPER QUESTIONS.

          On 3/16/2013 6:56 PM, Dan Romanchik KB6NU wrote:

          > 1. Can a service like this really be effective if those that are creating the website and newsletter are not part of the club? After all, someone still has to come up with the content.

          I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN IN CHARITABLE SERVICE
          CLUBS AND IT DOES NOT WORK - for exactly the
          reasons you suggest in the question. You gotta
          have content - and the only contest that motivates
          members TO ACTION is having something going on.

          > 2. If there aren't some members engaged enough to do these kinds of things (we call them "club service" in Rotary), are they going to be engaged enough to do anything at all?

          Spot on. I am in other service organizations
          and this is a solid concern in all of them.

          ------------------- K8JHR -----------------------------

          /
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
            YEAH, MAN... GOOD STUFF IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

            ------------------------------ K8JHR ------------------------

            On 3/16/2013 7:41 PM, K8TB wrote:

            > But of significance is that the club voted on something that I've been
            > working on for 6 months, a 2nd meeting.
            >
            > That meeting, on the 4th Monday (the normal meeting is the 2nd Monday)
            > is for EAT.
            >
            > Not food EAT, EAT as Education and Training.
            >
            > These will be informal meetings, with 15-30 or 60 minutes segments
            > by different members who will various subjects, large and small to other
          • William
            Message 5 of 7 , May 9 3:11 PM
              You bet! A liason is established for each club. The local club members do not need to be graphic artists or programmers. The liason feeds the text and photo's to HamRadioWebsites.Net and they do the rest. They have wordsmiths that can write stories if a local member is unable to do so. They have graphic artists and programmers to code the sites. The system works well.

              William

              Message 6 of 7 , May 9 4:06 PM
                Nuts... I guess I am with Dan on this one... if your club cannot put a
                news letter or simple web page on the web, then it has already
                floundered. If you ship all the work out, you are just copping out on
                it.

                A newsletter or web page does not have to be complicated or highly
                technical to be effective -- but it MUST HAVE INTERESTING CONTENT -- and
                no ghost writers are going to be able to infuse a dull club with an
                exciting story - if the story is not intrinsically exciting, it just
                won't appeal no matter who writes it. If you cannot tell your own
                story, then perhaps you don't have enough story to tell. Good stories
                write themselves. These ghost writers won't be able to say more than
                you tell them to say... if you have good programs, interesting and fun
                activities, then newsletters write themselves. I wrote multiple
                newsletter for local chapters of national organizations for over 25
                years - and I quit only when the clubs had no news to tell - when stuff
                was happening, it was easy to write about it. It was either appealing
                to members or not - not based on the writing, but on what it was about.
                If you have nothing to talk about, then neither will the ghost writer.
                If you do have something to say, just say it.

                Probably not a popular view, but that is my take on it.

                On 5/9/2013 6:11 PM, William wrote:

                The liason feeds the text and photo's to HamRadioWebsites.Net and they
                do the rest.

              • William Haggard