Re: Are we dead yet?

  • Norman Schklar
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
      Gwinnett Amateur Radio Society
      Lawrenceville, GA

      Growing.  One time (phone patch days) 400 they tell me, then steady at about 140 for about 10 years.  Now back over 200 in the past 3 years.
      Good leadership
      Good programs
      Good members
      Lots of activities
      Not ARES, but close to the county ARES group.  Probably 80% of ARES belong to GARS also.
      Monthly VE sessions.
      Now scheduling periodic Technician one day classes.  We're just getting started with this.
      8A Field Day.
      Colorful Monthly Newsletter
      Active in several public service events.
      Serve Popcorn at local hamfests.
      Put on a free technical hamfest each January (TechFest).
      A big Home Brew Show and Tell meeting in October.
      Operate a station for Georgia QSO Party
      Have a Saturday Satellites in the Park meeting in prep for Field Day
      Weekly FM net with about 25 check-ins on our Info, Want Shop Sale net..
      New Tech Net called "Know it All Net" on Wednesdays  about 28 check-ins.
      We have a nearby Ham Radio Outlet which has an annual Manufactures Day.  We set up a table to welcome area hams.

      Secret weapon is a program manager that is very energetic and resourceful which sparks the rest of the executive group to do more.  Things like bringing Raspberry Pie to the meeting on Raspberry PI (the small computer).
      Like most clubs, there's a core group of about 20 that make things happen.  This was a core of 10 just a few years back.
      We suffer some from the grey hair, but notice a few darker haired folks beginning to show interest.  Some of this is a side effect of interest in EmComm.

      Norm Schklar, WA4ZXV, www.GARS.org
      more about me on QRZ.com

    • Ed Greany
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
        CONGRATULATIONS Norm.
        It appears you have the "Perfect" Club. Wow, what an inspiration. I love it.
        Let's all learn from Norm's club. Thanks for sharing.

        Ed

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
          Have you guys checked out www.HamRadioWebsites.Net? They can help with your website management issues and a neat newsletter.

          Pat (AE7QU)

          From: Richard MI Ranta <rranta@...>
          To: AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 10:14 AM

          Your  right on one point: I left office as president and am now doing more work. Not sitting in the presidents chair has allowed me to see that a lot of things have changed in area clubs over here in Grand Rapids MI. For one, web sites have not been updated with newer information on club events and membership numbers seem to have dropped.
          We’re looking to maintain what we already have been doing, but also how to get new members interested in our club. We have 2 possibly 3 new members lined up. They came to us for ham license classes.
          I also see where club’s web sites links no longer work??
          Let’s hope this is just a hick cup going around.
          Rich Ranta K8JX
          Retired/ex-president now working more. LOL

          "No one heals himself by wounding another".

          Saint Ambrose

          Richard and Scooter the cat

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
            On 3/16/2013 3:22 PM, Ed Greany wrote:

            > Rich,
            > I'm sure you are not alone. Yes, officers change and new officers don't
            > get the word about this list. A drop in membership should hint a
            > problem. Either us old guys are moving on (SK) or there is a problem in
            > our program - perhaps both.

            I am sick of hearing guys talk about whether
            ham radio is dead. I did not think so until
            so many guys started talking that way.
            It does us no good to say that all the time - people
            will start to believe it.

            > Having a good website webmaster is vital to a good club.

            I cannot see why. What makes a club vital and
            vibrant and alive IS HAVING A MISSION TO PURSUE
            THAT IS SEEN AS LEGITIMATE AND NECESSARY BY
            THE MEMBERS. A web page can help, but I cannot
            agree that having a web page, without a mission,
            or purpose, or some activity brewing will do
            anything for the club. Having something fun and
            exciting and purposeful to DO is what makes it.

            What did clubs ever do without a web page?
            They did stuff and having a web page does not
            give the members something meaningful to do.
            It is something PASSIVE to look at. What motivates
            members is HAVING SOMETHING TO DO that they want
            to see done.

            Forget the web page - devise something fun and
            important to DO !!!!!!!

            These creatures
            > are hard to come by. I am Prez of two different 501c3 orgs (one ham
            > club) and I can't find a webmaster for one and the other (ham) is being
            > run by a person who said "I'll try it but I'm learning as I go."
            > Another issue is newsletters. Past are the days of a mailed letter but
            > rather now they are e-newsletters. T

            NEITHER A NEWSLETTER OR A WEB PAGE HAS ANY
            MEANING WITH ANY NEWS TO PRINT. The best news
            is to give direction to what the club is DOING
            on a regular basis. PURSUING A GOAL is what
            motivates the troops. A newsletter that has no
            news about WHAT IS GOING ON is proof the club has
            already died.

            Just MY take....

            ---------------------- K8JHR -------------------------
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
              WHAT MAKES THIS CLUB TICK IS THE NUMBER
              OF ACTIVITIES GOING ON - YOU GUYS ARE DOING
              STUFF - and that is what keeps interest up.
              Having members involved in doing things they
              feel is important. It does not matter what
              you do as long as the members wanna do it.

              You gots lots of stuff happening. That is IT !

              I might be compelled to join our local radio club, but
              other than field day, there is nothing happening.

              I think I will have to drive over to Tom's club and
              E.A.T. - they are starting to DO stuff OVER THERE !

              At the local club, there is Wednesday Night Radio Room
              where you can work the club station, but every time
              I tried that, some old ham sat right in front of
              the rig, with his back to it, and occupied the
              operator's chair - and talked to his cronies.
              I went three times, and never got close to the rig.
              Stuff like that, coupled with nothing but Field Day
              to do... no wonder nobody joins.

              But these other clubs, with stuff going on... sound good.

              ---------------------- K8JHR -------------------------------

              On 3/16/2013 4:11 PM, Norman Schklar wrote:

              > Gwinnett Amateur Radio Society
              > Lawrenceville, GA
              >
              > Growing. One time (phone patch days) 400 they tell me, then steady at
              > about 140 for about 10 years. Now back over 200 in the past 3 years.
              > Good leadership
              > Good programs
              > Good members
              > Lots of activities
              > Not ARES, but close to the county ARES group. Probably 80% of ARES
              > belong to GARS also.
              > Monthly VE sessions.
              > Now scheduling periodic Technician one day classes. We're just getting
              > started with this.
              > 8A Field Day.
              > Colorful Monthly Newsletter
              > Active in several public service events.
              > Serve Popcorn at local hamfests.
              > Put on a free technical hamfest each January (TechFest).
              > A big Home Brew Show and Tell meeting in October.
              > Operate a station for Georgia QSO Party
              > Have a Saturday Satellites in the Park meeting in prep for Field Day
              > Weekly FM net with about 25 check-ins on our Info, Want Shop Sale net..
              > New Tech Net called "Know it All Net" on Wednesdays about 28 check-ins.
              > We have a nearby Ham Radio Outlet which has an annual Manufactures Day.
              > We set up a table to welcome area hams.
              >
              > Secret weapon is a program manager that is very energetic and
              > resourceful which sparks the rest of the executive group to do more.
              > Things like bringing Raspberry Pie to the meeting on Raspberry PI (the
              > small computer).
              > Like most clubs, there's a core group of about 20 that make things
              > happen. This was a core of 10 just a few years back.
              > We suffer some from the grey hair, but notice a few darker haired folks
              > beginning to show interest. Some of this is a side effect of interest
              > in EmComm.
              >
              > Norm Schklar, WA4ZXV, www.GARS.org <http://www.GARS.org>
              > more about me on QRZ.com

            • Ed Greany
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
                Can we agree to disagree?
                The reason we need a website is that is the cover on  our book. It is the introduction to who and what we are. It answers most of all the questions a prospective member may have in mind before even picking up the mic or telephone and making that so important call - "How do I join?"

                The newsletter is the medium or glue to keep members informed and prospective members to get interested. leave a copy in the barbershop. Maybe you will get a new member there. Describe all those activities you speak of in the newsletter AND the website. Keep the information flowing. All that equals GROWTH.

                Ed

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 16, 2013
                  On 3/17/2013 12:00 AM, Ed Greany wrote:

                  > Can we agree to disagree?

                  Sure !!!

                  > The reason we need a website is that is the cover on our book. It is
                  > the introduction to who and what we are. It answers most of all the
                  > questions a prospective member may have in mind before even picking up
                  > the mic or telephone and making that so important call - "How do I join?"

                  Interesting point.

                  I believe the real draw for new members is
                  the club mission and its members.

                  You are correct, a good web page can be a vital
                  sales tool and passive sales pitch - available
                  24/7 - PROVIDED IT DEPICTS A VIABLE PROGRAM
                  and purposeful activity to achieve the mission.

                  Our local club has an handsome web page, but
                  offers up nothing in the way of fun activities.
                  In fact, it depicts a a stale, static, fossilized
                  organization with nothing going on. As such, it
                  would better without a weg page at all - another
                  club in a nearby town has a lousy web page, but
                  it has stuff going on - so it is more appealing
                  and effective at recruiting new members. No point
                  making a speech if you have nothing to say...

                  > The newsletter is the medium or glue to keep members informed and
                  > prospective members to get interested. leave a copy in the barbershop.
                  > Maybe you will get a new member there. Describe all those activities you
                  > speak of in the newsletter AND the website. Keep the information
                  > flowing. All that equals GROWTH.

                  OK,.. but there is no point to having a fancy
                  and appealing newsletter if you have nothing to
                  report.

                  OK, while a newsletter can do all those things,
                  it will not do any of those things if you do not
                  have a viable, active, interesting and appealing
                  purpose and a program for achieving it. You have
                  no "news" without an identifiable goal and a
                  program for achieving it. You can sell your program
                  only if you have a program - which is why I advocate
                  focusing on the mission and getting guys motivated
                  to achieve something. No matter how flashy your
                  newsletter is... it sill suck and fail to involve
                  new members if you have no program to offer.

                  I say this because I was the newsletter editor of
                  a major service club for the last 20 years - a
                  newsletter is only interesting if you have something
                  to write about.

                  On the other hand, I think we agree that, once you
                  have established your mission, and you have engaged
                  members in pursuing it... then a newsletter promoting
                  all that is a MUST - in order to maintain enthusiasm
                  and drive and draw new people into the mix. But it
                  will be a total flop with no mission or program to
                  offer. A newsletter without actual news is a bust.
                  A web page that depicts no purposeful activity is
                  a bust.

                  Just MY take...

                  ------------------------------ JHR ---------------------
                • Tom KD8DEG
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 17, 2013

                    Web sites for Ham Radio Clubs can be found very easily via a quick search in Google, Yahoo, or other search engines, IF someone is interested.

                    Check out this example.  http://www.hamdepot.com/states/mi.asp

                    How do you get them interested enough to even go looking is the BIG question.

                    Most people do not even have a thought or clue about Ham Radio unless there is some kind of  small blip  from the news media.  Short lived information.

                    Public Exposure!!!!  Put it out there, in their faces.

                    Have club activities such as, QRP in the park, Fox hunts, club picnics with some radios setup, or just setup in a public place with a couple of radios, if possible an SDR rig for the PC minded people, just for giggles and grins. Have some QSL cards set out from around the world, and special event certificates for them to look at, so people, young and old, can see you, spark their interest, and ask that all important question.

                    Ask them if they would like to sit down and give it a test drive, nothing like hands on, and making a contact to get them hooked.

                    If possible, show them some of the other many different ways they will be able to commumicate such as, CW, digital (PSK31), SSTV, ATV, state wide link repeater systems, even the most dreaded mode by the older hams, "internet" such as, Echolink/IRLP, and CQ100 a virtual radio. Show them how they will be able to communicate all around the world in many different ways.

                    Then hand them a flier about your Club and Ham Radio, let them know there is no age limit.

                    MOST Importantly, information on how and where they can take a class to get their license. Whether it be, Ham in a day or the 10 week more in depth version. How, and where to get the tech book to study on their owen or with an Elmer. Maybe have some donated tech books to hand out to those that show a real interest. Do not forget QRZ, and other web sites with the test questions for them to study, and work with.

                    Contact the boy/girl scouts, churches, schools, etc, and ask if  your club can give a talk with demo's about Ham Radio.

                    Your only limitations are your clubs creative minds, and ambition, to come up with ways to get the word out.

                    My $1 worth, (inflation hits everthing)

                    KD8DEG  Tom

                    The reason we need a website is that is the cover on  our book. It is the introduction to who and what we are. It answers most of all the questions a prospective member may have in mind before even picking up the mic or telephone and making that so important call - "How do I join?"

                    The newsletter is the medium or glue to keep members informed and prospective members to get interested. leave a copy in the barbershop. Maybe you will get a new member there. Describe all those activities you speak of in the newsletter AND the website. Keep the information flowing. All that equals GROWTH.

                    Ed

                    > I'm sure you are not alone. Yes, officers change and new officers don't
                    > get the word about this list. A drop in membership should hint a
                    > problem. Either us old guys are moving on (SK) or there is a problem in
                    > our program - perhaps both.

                    I am sick of hearing guys talk about whether
                    ham radio is dead. I did not think so until
                    so many guys started talking that way.
                    It does us no good to say that all the time - people
                    will start to believe it.

                    > Having a good website webmaster is vital to a good club.

                    I cannot see why. What makes a club vital and
                    vibrant and alive IS HAVING A MISSION TO PURSUE
                    THAT IS SEEN AS LEGITIMATE AND NECESSARY BY
                    THE MEMBERS. A web page can help, but I cannot
                    agree that having a web page, without a mission,
                    or purpose, or some activity brewing will do
                    anything for the club. Having something fun and
                    exciting and purposeful to DO is what makes it.

                    What did clubs ever do without a web page?
                    They did stuff and having a web page does not
                    give the members something meaningful to do.
                    It is something PASSIVE to look at. What motivates
                    members is HAVING SOMETHING TO DO that they want
                    to see done.

                    Forget the web page - devise something fun and
                    important to DO !!!!!!!

                    These creatures
                    > are hard to come by. I am Prez of two different 501c3 orgs (one ham
                    > club) and I can't find a webmaster for one and the other (ham) is being
                    > run by a person who said "I'll try it but I'm learning as I go."
                    > Another issue is newsletters. Past are the days of a mailed letter but
                    > rather now they are e-newsletters. T

                    NEITHER A NEWSLETTER OR A WEB PAGE HAS ANY
                    MEANING WITH ANY NEWS TO PRINT. The best news
                    is to give direction to what the club is DOING
                    on a regular basis. PURSUING A GOAL is what
                    motivates the troops. A newsletter that has no
                    news about WHAT IS GOING ON is proof the club has
                    already died.

                    Just MY take....

                    ---------------------- K8JHR -------------------------

                  • William
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 17, 2013
                      No reason to disagree. If you have no news your club may be dying. A good website and a newsletter can assist with recruiting, retention, education and other areas, but it will never replace a clubs activities. Fellowship occurs and comraderie rises from interesting ham activities. What follows is a strong core of members where other hams want to hang around. What results is a growing club.

                      If you need help keeping a website going or a good monthly newsletter check out www.hamradiowebsites.net they can assist.

                      --- In AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com, Ed Greany <crest25@...> wrote:

                      > Can we agree to disagree?
                      > The reason we need a website is that is the cover on  our book. It is the introduction to who and what we are. It answers most of all the questions a prospective member may have in mind before even picking up the mic or telephone and making that so important call - "How do I join?"
                      >
                      > The newsletter is the medium or glue to keep members informed and prospective members to get interested. leave a copy in the barbershop. Maybe you will get a new member there. Describe all those activities you speak of in the newsletter AND the website. Keep the information flowing. All that equals GROWTH.
                      >
                      > Ed

                    • K8TB
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 17, 2013
                        One major flaw in about 90% of the ham club web sites that I have looked
                        at.

                        There is no way to contact anyone. Meetings nights are posted, but no
                        email contact.

                        So simple, and yet never done.

                        tom k8tb
                      • Norman Schklar
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 17, 2013

                          I think the lack of contact info on web sites must be from too many IT folks managing web sites.

                          I recently had occasion to look for some local club officials and had a problem with good contact onfo.

                          It's hard to grow if there isn't easy access to leadership.

                          Norm, wa4zxv

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 17, 2013
                            Good point, Tom. I am amazed at how many people pass out
                            business cards where their names and phone numbers are
                            written in the smallest font available. Same for yellow
                            page advertising - the contact info, address and phone number,
                            are the smallest items on the page. As you suggest, these
                            must be OBVIOUS to be effective.