Re: [AmateurRadioLeadership] Re: How to get Ham's interested in serving on the clubs board.

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 19, 2012
      On 11/18/2012 11:19 PM, yogithedog.geo wrote:

      As far as if you can't get
      > folks to get on the board the clubs through, nope! If that happened we
      > would not have any clubs in West Michigan.

      Er... um... other than Holland... and a few
      guys in the Muskegon bunch... there are
      no viable clubs in West Michigan.

      Take a close look at who is
      > the president. Usually one of several people.

      Exactly why I don't join those groups.

      We're just starting to republish our clubs newsletter so
      > maybe that is a means of attracting new folks and re-stating what we're
      > about.

      That would be a nice start. BUT YOU MUST HAVE
      SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT OR THE NEWSLETTER
      WILL MERELY PROVE THE CLUB HAS DIED because
      it has no purpose, no direction... and worst of all...
      nothing going on to get involved with.

      > Trying to publish to the mobile devices might be a way to share with new
      > folks who we are. I'm looking into that right now.

      You gotta have something to say before publishing
      through a new medium is meaningful.

      > I will try everything and I'm even going to work to help keep this club
      > going with the next president. Who has new ideas too.

      I pray that he does. I would love to see the
      group doing something fun and useful. It must
      do more than have a business meeting where
      none of the officers has any news or business
      to report beyond the cost of the repeater, and
      then a social gathering at the ice cream parlor.

      Unless the organization offers something important
      to accomplish, there will nothing to say in a
      newsletter.

      Years ago, I took a course on public speaking. The
      text book made one point that I have never
      forgotten: It said every speaker has a moral
      duty to actually SAY SOMETHING important,
      relevant, and worthwhile, or he has no business
      speaking at all.

      And equally so, a newsletter must have something
      interesting or important to say or no one will read
      it. Changing the publishing medium to Facebook,
      or Twitter, or push delivery to one's cell phone will
      have no positive impact unless there is actually
      some NEWS in it.

      NOTE -- I appreciate your service to the organization , and none of my
      comments are intended to be critical of you or the fact you held the
      leadership position for an extended period. You did what you had to
      do. You took the reigns and you were willing to hold them until someone
      else stepped forward to take them. It is not your fault others were
      not standing in line to take them for the opportunity to take the
      organization to higher and better places. It is not your fault club
      members are not clamoring to accomplish new and challenging projects. A
      club is only as good as its members, and if they don't make demands,
      then the club has already ossified and stagnated - it would be different
      if you were keeping others from stepping forward to accept
      responsibility and develop the program. Had you been unwilling to
      shoulder the task, the club may have dissolved some years ago.

      But only new ideas, and new projects, will save it and give it new life
      and meaning. Merely changing leaders will not make it a worthwhile
      enterprise... only new ideas and new activities can do that. It does
      not matter who is captain of a ship in dry dock.

      Just MY take.

      ----------------------- K8JHR ----------------------

      .
    • AndrewR
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
        I'm changing the subject a little here...

        "Changing the publishing medium to Facebook,
        or Twitter, or push delivery to one's cell phone will
        have no positive impact unless there is actually
        some NEWS in it."

        This quote is important, not just because of the fact that nobody is going to read a newsletter without news, but also about the delivery medium.

        I'm the web/facebook/twitter "guru" for my club. Out of 141 "likes" on Facebook, over 95% of them are people that are not in the club, and only 3 or 4 are active (as in, they go to most meetings!). In fact, many of those "likes" are from people that are out of the area and some are in other countries! Twitter is far worse, where we only have two clubmembers following the club on twitter (and that counts both myself and the other clubmember that created it!). Google Plus is the most dismal. I think the club has one user that has "circled" the club (out of 4 or 5 that I know of on Google Plus).

        I would advise caution in moving mediums unless it is from printed to PDF or email. It is pretty easy to make the case to save money on printing and mailing by using email, but over and above that, you may not be effective in getting to your club members.

        We've found that in our club, the best method of delivering newsletters and other club information is via email. For things that need a reply, many many emails!

        On the other hand with the social networks is that the younger crowd uses them - among Twitter and Facebook, ALL of our "under forty crowd" (there's 5 of us) are available via Twitter or Facebook. I'd recommend clubs having a Facebook presence (making sure you use it!), but I would never recommend using that as a newsletter delivery medium over email.

        73
        Andrew KE8P • www.ke8p.us
        (co-webmaster of www.w8mrc.com, Facebook.com/MilfordARC, and @MilfordARC)

        PS: the issue of the meeting being "a business meeting where the officers have nothing to report and then a social at an ice cream parlor" is a damn good topic to kick around on this group. We've made changes to our meetings (to get the business stuff to the end of the meeting so people stay through announcements and presentations). The ice cream social idea is a good idea. I wonder if others have some good ideas.
      • Norman Schklar
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012

          Good programs
          Interesting activities
          Operating events
          Support scouts
          Little business and more social
          V/u infrastructure

          Do these things and members will want to be part of the management team.

          My 2 cents

          Norm wa4zxv

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
            Good list, Norm.

            -------------------------- JHR ------------------------

            On 11/20/2012 9:31 PM, Norman Schklar wrote:

            > Good programs
            > Interesting activities
            > Operating events
            > Support scouts
            > Little business and more social
            > V/u infrastructure
            >
            > Do these things and members will want to be part of the management team.

            b.
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
              Fascinating piece, Andrew. I wonder how you got so many "likes" from
              outsiders. Go figure.

              On 11/20/2012 9:05 PM, AndrewR wrote:

              Out of 141 "likes" on Facebook, over 95% of them are people that are not
              in the club,

              .n.