Re: [AmateurRadioLeadership] RE: How to get Ham's interested in serving on the clubs board.

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 17, 2012
      Excellent plan.

      --------------------------- K8JHR -------------------------

      On 11/17/2012 6:01 PM, Bruce Nolte wrote:
      > In our club the Bylaws forbid a person repeating an electing position in two consecutive years. And we invite interested members to try out elected board positions by starting as a Member-at-Large.

    • Dan Romanchik KB6NU
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 18, 2012
        Although there is something to be said for "continuity," the more I think about it, the more I like the idea that a club constitution should stipulate that a person may not be re-elected to a position that he or she currently holds.  As Richards says, "Ultimately, if members are not sufficiently interested in taking responsibility for managing a club, then the club has already failed...."

        73!

        Dan KB6NU
        CW Geek, Ham Radio Instructor
        Station Manager, WA2HOM at the Hands-On Museum (www.wa2hom.org)
        Read my ham radio blog at http://www.kb6nu.com

        On Nov 17, 2012, at Nov 17,6:01 PM, Bruce Nolte wrote:
        In our club the Bylaws forbid a person repeating an electing position in two consecutive years.  And we invite interested members to try out elected board positions by starting as a Member-at-Large.

        73
        Bruce N1BN
        Pasadena Radio Club

        On Nov 17, 2012, at 1:33 PM, Richards <jruing@...> wrote:

        This is a common problem. Getting members to shoulder the load by
        assuming leadership positions is very difficult.

        Unfortunately, too many organizations fall into the trap of having the
        same few members take the reigns to manage the club, to the point where
        they take ownership of their positions and other members accept that. If
        one volunteers to do all the work, other members will let him. After
        holding the position for 5 years, it is no surprise no one else wants
        your job, as members may now see that as your job. They may feel the
        same about serving on the board. Of course, this all assumes you have
        enough members to pass the job around... otherwise it is a moot point.

        Ultimately, if members are not sufficiently interested in taking
        responsibility for managing the club, then the club has already failed
        and should dissolve. An organization is only as good as its members are
        willing to make it.

        The only thing that will save your club is to reinstate its mission, and
        motivate members to actively pursue that mission. No organization can,
        or should, survive for long without a definite common purpose or
        mission. Unless members are invested accomplishing the mission, it will
        wither and die - and it should.

        Therefore, as current club leader, you must clarify and promote the
        mission. You must reaffirm and rekindle member interest in what they
        can do as an organization. Hopefully, that will, in turn, motivate
        members to renew their vows, renew their drive to accomplish the
        mission, and assume roles as leaders to make it their own. Without
        that sort of desire and motivation, the organization will fail.

        So I challenge you to press the mission. Get members excited about it.
        Motivate them to take action to accomplish the mission. Redefining
        and restating the mission is the first step. Having an objective, or
        setting a particular goal, they can achieve is an essential component.
        This is what you must do to save the outfit from becoming more than an
        occasional social meeting, at best, and to avoid a dissolution, at worst.

        Just MY take. Good luck.

        ---------------------------- K8JHR --------------------------

        On 11/15/2012 12:34 PM, yogithedog.geo wrote:

        > its all the same people, year after year. There's nothing wrong with
        > that, but it would be nice to see other people take the helm and add
        > their creativety to the club.

        > I'm stepping down as president after about 5 or so years. ( actually, it
        > sometimes feels like a millions!) I'm trying very hard to tell folks not
        > to be scared of the title pres. It should be fun, not all work.

        > any of you have ideas or suggestions on how to get other Ham's
        > interested in serving?

      • yogithedog.geo
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 18, 2012
          Well, we've tried to limit the boards terms to two years and all we got
          was the same people nominated. When we first started out, we had plans
          to switch the president every year with one of the members. That didn't
          work. Remember , these folks joined a Ham Radio club, not a political
          action club. They want everything Ham Radio. The business end is usually
          limited to a couple of tasks each year, so no sweat there. Some people
          simply are not comfortable taking the helm. As far as if you can't get
          folks to get on the board the clubs through, nope! If that happened we
          would not have any clubs in West Michigan. Take a close look at who is
          the president. Usually one of several people.

          Limiting the term only creates a problem. I think we need to try
          something different. Jim's suggestion about refreshing the clubs goal
          might work. We're just starting to republish our clubs newsletter so
          maybe that is a means of attracting new folks and re-stating what we're
          about.

          Trying to publish to the mobile devices might be a way to share with new
          folks who we are. I'm looking into that right now.

          I will try everything and I'm even going to work to help keep this club
          going with the next president. Who has new ideas too.
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 19, 2012
            On 11/18/2012 11:19 PM, yogithedog.geo wrote:

            As far as if you can't get
            > folks to get on the board the clubs through, nope! If that happened we
            > would not have any clubs in West Michigan.

            Er... um... other than Holland... and a few
            guys in the Muskegon bunch... there are
            no viable clubs in West Michigan.

            Take a close look at who is
            > the president. Usually one of several people.

            Exactly why I don't join those groups.

            We're just starting to republish our clubs newsletter so
            > maybe that is a means of attracting new folks and re-stating what we're
            > about.

            That would be a nice start. BUT YOU MUST HAVE
            SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT OR THE NEWSLETTER
            WILL MERELY PROVE THE CLUB HAS DIED because
            it has no purpose, no direction... and worst of all...
            nothing going on to get involved with.

            > Trying to publish to the mobile devices might be a way to share with new
            > folks who we are. I'm looking into that right now.

            You gotta have something to say before publishing
            through a new medium is meaningful.

            > I will try everything and I'm even going to work to help keep this club
            > going with the next president. Who has new ideas too.

            I pray that he does. I would love to see the
            group doing something fun and useful. It must
            do more than have a business meeting where
            none of the officers has any news or business
            to report beyond the cost of the repeater, and
            then a social gathering at the ice cream parlor.

            Unless the organization offers something important
            to accomplish, there will nothing to say in a
            newsletter.

            Years ago, I took a course on public speaking. The
            text book made one point that I have never
            forgotten: It said every speaker has a moral
            duty to actually SAY SOMETHING important,
            relevant, and worthwhile, or he has no business
            speaking at all.

            And equally so, a newsletter must have something
            interesting or important to say or no one will read
            it. Changing the publishing medium to Facebook,
            or Twitter, or push delivery to one's cell phone will
            have no positive impact unless there is actually
            some NEWS in it.

            NOTE -- I appreciate your service to the organization , and none of my
            comments are intended to be critical of you or the fact you held the
            leadership position for an extended period. You did what you had to
            do. You took the reigns and you were willing to hold them until someone
            else stepped forward to take them. It is not your fault others were
            not standing in line to take them for the opportunity to take the
            organization to higher and better places. It is not your fault club
            members are not clamoring to accomplish new and challenging projects. A
            club is only as good as its members, and if they don't make demands,
            then the club has already ossified and stagnated - it would be different
            if you were keeping others from stepping forward to accept
            responsibility and develop the program. Had you been unwilling to
            shoulder the task, the club may have dissolved some years ago.

            But only new ideas, and new projects, will save it and give it new life
            and meaning. Merely changing leaders will not make it a worthwhile
            enterprise... only new ideas and new activities can do that. It does
            not matter who is captain of a ship in dry dock.

            Just MY take.

            ----------------------- K8JHR ----------------------

            .
          • AndrewR
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
              I'm changing the subject a little here...

              "Changing the publishing medium to Facebook,
              or Twitter, or push delivery to one's cell phone will
              have no positive impact unless there is actually
              some NEWS in it."

              This quote is important, not just because of the fact that nobody is going to read a newsletter without news, but also about the delivery medium.

              I'm the web/facebook/twitter "guru" for my club. Out of 141 "likes" on Facebook, over 95% of them are people that are not in the club, and only 3 or 4 are active (as in, they go to most meetings!). In fact, many of those "likes" are from people that are out of the area and some are in other countries! Twitter is far worse, where we only have two clubmembers following the club on twitter (and that counts both myself and the other clubmember that created it!). Google Plus is the most dismal. I think the club has one user that has "circled" the club (out of 4 or 5 that I know of on Google Plus).

              I would advise caution in moving mediums unless it is from printed to PDF or email. It is pretty easy to make the case to save money on printing and mailing by using email, but over and above that, you may not be effective in getting to your club members.

              We've found that in our club, the best method of delivering newsletters and other club information is via email. For things that need a reply, many many emails!

              On the other hand with the social networks is that the younger crowd uses them - among Twitter and Facebook, ALL of our "under forty crowd" (there's 5 of us) are available via Twitter or Facebook. I'd recommend clubs having a Facebook presence (making sure you use it!), but I would never recommend using that as a newsletter delivery medium over email.

              73
              Andrew KE8P • www.ke8p.us
              (co-webmaster of www.w8mrc.com, Facebook.com/MilfordARC, and @MilfordARC)

              PS: the issue of the meeting being "a business meeting where the officers have nothing to report and then a social at an ice cream parlor" is a damn good topic to kick around on this group. We've made changes to our meetings (to get the business stuff to the end of the meeting so people stay through announcements and presentations). The ice cream social idea is a good idea. I wonder if others have some good ideas.
            • Norman Schklar
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012

                Good programs
                Interesting activities
                Operating events
                Support scouts
                Little business and more social
                V/u infrastructure

                Do these things and members will want to be part of the management team.

                My 2 cents

                Norm wa4zxv

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
                  Good list, Norm.

                  -------------------------- JHR ------------------------

                  On 11/20/2012 9:31 PM, Norman Schklar wrote:

                  > Good programs
                  > Interesting activities
                  > Operating events
                  > Support scouts
                  > Little business and more social
                  > V/u infrastructure
                  >
                  > Do these things and members will want to be part of the management team.

                  b.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
                    Fascinating piece, Andrew. I wonder how you got so many "likes" from
                    outsiders. Go figure.

                    On 11/20/2012 9:05 PM, AndrewR wrote:

                    Out of 141 "likes" on Facebook, over 95% of them are people that are not
                    in the club,

                    .n.