Re: [AmateurRadioLeadership] RE: How to get Ham's interested in serving on the clubs board.

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 17, 2012
      This is a common problem. Getting members to shoulder the load by
      assuming leadership positions is very difficult.

      Unfortunately, too many organizations fall into the trap of having the
      same few members take the reigns to manage the club, to the point where
      they take ownership of their positions and other members accept that. If
      one volunteers to do all the work, other members will let him. After
      holding the position for 5 years, it is no surprise no one else wants
      your job, as members may now see that as your job. They may feel the
      same about serving on the board. Of course, this all assumes you have
      enough members to pass the job around... otherwise it is a moot point.

      Ultimately, if members are not sufficiently interested in taking
      responsibility for managing the club, then the club has already failed
      and should dissolve. An organization is only as good as its members are
      willing to make it.

      The only thing that will save your club is to reinstate its mission, and
      motivate members to actively pursue that mission. No organization can,
      or should, survive for long without a definite common purpose or
      mission. Unless members are invested accomplishing the mission, it will
      wither and die - and it should.

      Therefore, as current club leader, you must clarify and promote the
      mission. You must reaffirm and rekindle member interest in what they
      can do as an organization. Hopefully, that will, in turn, motivate
      members to renew their vows, renew their drive to accomplish the
      mission, and assume roles as leaders to make it their own. Without
      that sort of desire and motivation, the organization will fail.

      So I challenge you to press the mission. Get members excited about it.
      Motivate them to take action to accomplish the mission. Redefining
      and restating the mission is the first step. Having an objective, or
      setting a particular goal, they can achieve is an essential component.
      This is what you must do to save the outfit from becoming more than an
      occasional social meeting, at best, and to avoid a dissolution, at worst.

      Just MY take. Good luck.

      ---------------------------- K8JHR --------------------------

      On 11/15/2012 12:34 PM, yogithedog.geo wrote:

      > its all the same people, year after year. There's nothing wrong with
      > that, but it would be nice to see other people take the helm and add
      > their creativety to the club.

      > I'm stepping down as president after about 5 or so years. ( actually, it
      > sometimes feels like a millions!) I'm trying very hard to tell folks not
      > to be scared of the title pres. It should be fun, not all work.

      > any of you have ideas or suggestions on how to get other Ham's
      > interested in serving?

    • Bruce Nolte
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 17, 2012
        In our club the Bylaws forbid a person repeating an electing position in two consecutive years.  And we invite interested members to try out elected board positions by starting as a Member-at-Large.

        73
        Bruce N1BN
        Pasadena Radio Club

        Sent from my Cray X-MP

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 17, 2012
          Excellent plan.

          --------------------------- K8JHR -------------------------

          On 11/17/2012 6:01 PM, Bruce Nolte wrote:
          > In our club the Bylaws forbid a person repeating an electing position in two consecutive years. And we invite interested members to try out elected board positions by starting as a Member-at-Large.

        • Dan Romanchik KB6NU
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 18, 2012
            Although there is something to be said for "continuity," the more I think about it, the more I like the idea that a club constitution should stipulate that a person may not be re-elected to a position that he or she currently holds.  As Richards says, "Ultimately, if members are not sufficiently interested in taking responsibility for managing a club, then the club has already failed...."

            73!

            Dan KB6NU
            CW Geek, Ham Radio Instructor
            Station Manager, WA2HOM at the Hands-On Museum (www.wa2hom.org)
            Read my ham radio blog at http://www.kb6nu.com

          • yogithedog.geo
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 18, 2012
              Well, we've tried to limit the boards terms to two years and all we got
              was the same people nominated. When we first started out, we had plans
              to switch the president every year with one of the members. That didn't
              work. Remember , these folks joined a Ham Radio club, not a political
              action club. They want everything Ham Radio. The business end is usually
              limited to a couple of tasks each year, so no sweat there. Some people
              simply are not comfortable taking the helm. As far as if you can't get
              folks to get on the board the clubs through, nope! If that happened we
              would not have any clubs in West Michigan. Take a close look at who is
              the president. Usually one of several people.

              Limiting the term only creates a problem. I think we need to try
              something different. Jim's suggestion about refreshing the clubs goal
              might work. We're just starting to republish our clubs newsletter so
              maybe that is a means of attracting new folks and re-stating what we're
              about.

              Trying to publish to the mobile devices might be a way to share with new
              folks who we are. I'm looking into that right now.

              I will try everything and I'm even going to work to help keep this club
              going with the next president. Who has new ideas too.
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 19, 2012
                On 11/18/2012 11:19 PM, yogithedog.geo wrote:

                As far as if you can't get
                > folks to get on the board the clubs through, nope! If that happened we
                > would not have any clubs in West Michigan.

                Er... um... other than Holland... and a few
                guys in the Muskegon bunch... there are
                no viable clubs in West Michigan.

                Take a close look at who is
                > the president. Usually one of several people.

                Exactly why I don't join those groups.

                We're just starting to republish our clubs newsletter so
                > maybe that is a means of attracting new folks and re-stating what we're
                > about.

                That would be a nice start. BUT YOU MUST HAVE
                SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT OR THE NEWSLETTER
                WILL MERELY PROVE THE CLUB HAS DIED because
                it has no purpose, no direction... and worst of all...
                nothing going on to get involved with.

                > Trying to publish to the mobile devices might be a way to share with new
                > folks who we are. I'm looking into that right now.

                You gotta have something to say before publishing
                through a new medium is meaningful.

                > I will try everything and I'm even going to work to help keep this club
                > going with the next president. Who has new ideas too.

                I pray that he does. I would love to see the
                group doing something fun and useful. It must
                do more than have a business meeting where
                none of the officers has any news or business
                to report beyond the cost of the repeater, and
                then a social gathering at the ice cream parlor.

                Unless the organization offers something important
                to accomplish, there will nothing to say in a
                newsletter.

                Years ago, I took a course on public speaking. The
                text book made one point that I have never
                forgotten: It said every speaker has a moral
                duty to actually SAY SOMETHING important,
                relevant, and worthwhile, or he has no business
                speaking at all.

                And equally so, a newsletter must have something
                interesting or important to say or no one will read
                it. Changing the publishing medium to Facebook,
                or Twitter, or push delivery to one's cell phone will
                have no positive impact unless there is actually
                some NEWS in it.

                NOTE -- I appreciate your service to the organization , and none of my
                comments are intended to be critical of you or the fact you held the
                leadership position for an extended period. You did what you had to
                do. You took the reigns and you were willing to hold them until someone
                else stepped forward to take them. It is not your fault others were
                not standing in line to take them for the opportunity to take the
                organization to higher and better places. It is not your fault club
                members are not clamoring to accomplish new and challenging projects. A
                club is only as good as its members, and if they don't make demands,
                then the club has already ossified and stagnated - it would be different
                if you were keeping others from stepping forward to accept
                responsibility and develop the program. Had you been unwilling to
                shoulder the task, the club may have dissolved some years ago.

                But only new ideas, and new projects, will save it and give it new life
                and meaning. Merely changing leaders will not make it a worthwhile
                enterprise... only new ideas and new activities can do that. It does
                not matter who is captain of a ship in dry dock.

                Just MY take.

                ----------------------- K8JHR ----------------------

                .
              • AndrewR
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
                  I'm changing the subject a little here...

                  "Changing the publishing medium to Facebook,
                  or Twitter, or push delivery to one's cell phone will
                  have no positive impact unless there is actually
                  some NEWS in it."

                  This quote is important, not just because of the fact that nobody is going to read a newsletter without news, but also about the delivery medium.

                  I'm the web/facebook/twitter "guru" for my club. Out of 141 "likes" on Facebook, over 95% of them are people that are not in the club, and only 3 or 4 are active (as in, they go to most meetings!). In fact, many of those "likes" are from people that are out of the area and some are in other countries! Twitter is far worse, where we only have two clubmembers following the club on twitter (and that counts both myself and the other clubmember that created it!). Google Plus is the most dismal. I think the club has one user that has "circled" the club (out of 4 or 5 that I know of on Google Plus).

                  I would advise caution in moving mediums unless it is from printed to PDF or email. It is pretty easy to make the case to save money on printing and mailing by using email, but over and above that, you may not be effective in getting to your club members.

                  We've found that in our club, the best method of delivering newsletters and other club information is via email. For things that need a reply, many many emails!

                  On the other hand with the social networks is that the younger crowd uses them - among Twitter and Facebook, ALL of our "under forty crowd" (there's 5 of us) are available via Twitter or Facebook. I'd recommend clubs having a Facebook presence (making sure you use it!), but I would never recommend using that as a newsletter delivery medium over email.

                  73
                  Andrew KE8P • www.ke8p.us
                  (co-webmaster of www.w8mrc.com, Facebook.com/MilfordARC, and @MilfordARC)

                  PS: the issue of the meeting being "a business meeting where the officers have nothing to report and then a social at an ice cream parlor" is a damn good topic to kick around on this group. We've made changes to our meetings (to get the business stuff to the end of the meeting so people stay through announcements and presentations). The ice cream social idea is a good idea. I wonder if others have some good ideas.
                • Norman Schklar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012

                    Good programs
                    Interesting activities
                    Operating events
                    Support scouts
                    Little business and more social
                    V/u infrastructure

                    Do these things and members will want to be part of the management team.

                    My 2 cents

                    Norm wa4zxv

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
                      Good list, Norm.

                      -------------------------- JHR ------------------------

                      On 11/20/2012 9:31 PM, Norman Schklar wrote:

                      > Good programs
                      > Interesting activities
                      > Operating events
                      > Support scouts
                      > Little business and more social
                      > V/u infrastructure
                      >
                      > Do these things and members will want to be part of the management team.

                      b.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
                        Fascinating piece, Andrew. I wonder how you got so many "likes" from
                        outsiders. Go figure.

                        On 11/20/2012 9:05 PM, AndrewR wrote:

                        Out of 141 "likes" on Facebook, over 95% of them are people that are not
                        in the club,

                        .n.