Re: [AmateurRadioLeadership] Encouraging On-Air Activity

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2012
      You ask the right question, Dan. A club's mission may be
      to encourage more on-air activity. But you ask more:

      "How would a club encourage its members
      to make more contacts?"

      This IS the $64,000 question. HOW DO we do this?

      Tom offers one way, which is to schedule QRP evenings in the park, and
      inviting others to come out, Field Day -style and watch, maybe catch the
      fever and go home and work somebody.

      A nearby ham club recently held pointed seminars on various aspects of
      ham radio, and offered lots of hands-on radio experiences. They held
      seminars on HF DX-ing, seminars on fox hunting, seminars on passing the
      exams, and other narrowly focused topics, designed to get old hands
      involved as teachers, and new hands involved as students. They did
      plenty of demonstrations and hand-on field-day-type activities.

      I did not attend any of these seminars, but I thought they sounded well
      thought out, and timely, and well designed to mix new and old hams, and
      encourage all to get on the air.

      These are club functions that encourage on-air activity. More like
      them would be a good start.