Re: [AmateurRadioLeadership] Encouraging On-Air Activity

  • Bruce Nolte
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2012
      I agree.  But using these bands without storing or logging this usage in a universal location might be fruitless.  In the past I have discussed with some local ARRL, maybe ARRL HQ, hosting a website with a database to store these kind of data points.
      Frequencies used
      Number of operators
      Event or group served
      Type of activity
      Date, times, location
      Etc.

      This data could be entered into the database by registered Ham representative of each event.  When the ARRL goes to Washington to defend the bands - this database would be a goldmine.

      The ARRL does have the

      FSD 157: Public Service Activity Report. (@...)

      But who remembers to go to their website and fill it out?  Maybe it is time we start using it.
      And hopefully the league uses info from these reports when they fight to protect our bands.

      73
      Bruce N1BN

      Sent from my Cray X-MP

      On Sep 8, 2012, at 2:48 PM, "danromanchik" <cwgeek@...> wrote:

      I was reading the September QST earlier today, and came across a letter to the editor from Robert Rennard, N7WY, under the heading, "Going Clubbing." He talks about some of the usual club stuff, but ends with this paragraph:

      "We all need to work harder to ensure that the amateur radio wireless spectrum is being used routinely, or it will be overtaken by the needs of commercial mobile wireless operators. The only way I see this happening is by having more active hams, so all of us need to make sure usage is expanding. Our clubs need to have this as an objective."

      In the leadership workshop, we talked about clubs having a mission. I think this would be a great mission for a club. It could be as simple as, "The mission of the xxx Amateur Radio Club is to encourage our members to get on the air more and make more contacts." Everything the club does would be geared to making this happen.

      What do you think? How would a club encourage its members to make more contacts?

      73!

      Dan KB6NU
      CW Geek, Ham Radio Instructor
      ARRL MI Section Training Manager
      Read my ham radio blog at http://www.kb6nu.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2012
        You ask the right question, Dan. A club's mission may be
        to encourage more on-air activity. But you ask more:

        "How would a club encourage its members
        to make more contacts?"

        This IS the $64,000 question. HOW DO we do this?

        Tom offers one way, which is to schedule QRP evenings in the park, and
        inviting others to come out, Field Day -style and watch, maybe catch the
        fever and go home and work somebody.

        A nearby ham club recently held pointed seminars on various aspects of
        ham radio, and offered lots of hands-on radio experiences. They held
        seminars on HF DX-ing, seminars on fox hunting, seminars on passing the
        exams, and other narrowly focused topics, designed to get old hands
        involved as teachers, and new hands involved as students. They did
        plenty of demonstrations and hand-on field-day-type activities.

        I did not attend any of these seminars, but I thought they sounded well
        thought out, and timely, and well designed to mix new and old hams, and
        encourage all to get on the air.

        These are club functions that encourage on-air activity. More like
        them would be a good start.