Re: [AmateurRadioLeadership] 501c3 Status?

  • Tom KD8DEG
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2012

      You might contact this e-mail group below. There are many lawyers available here to answere just these kind of questions

      KD8DEG  Tom

      From: "danromanchik" <cwgeek@...>
      Date: Mon, July 02, 2012 2:26 pm
      To: AmateurRadioLeadership@yahoogroups.com

      A ham e-mail me today:

      "Somewhere, I recently read about attaining a non-profit status for a radio club. I don't think that it was your blog, but I can't think of anywhere else that might have covered the subject.

      But, do you have any advice or direction on the subject? Our club has been in existence for almost forty years, and I've been here for twenty-five and have been treasurer for twenty. From time to time, I've looked at the IRS forms, but they are beyond me. I'm not a lawyer or accountant, and our small club doesn't have anyone who is savvy about such matters.

      I'm sure that there must be a lot of little clubs out there with the same situation. Do you know how they are handling finances and insurance?

      You're a great thinker, and I enjoy the blog. Thanks for making it happen."

      I replied:

      "Well, I don't really know about being a great thinker, but my take on this is that amateur radio clubs rarely ever need 501c3 status. As far as I can tell, the only benefit is that it may encourage people to donate money or equipment to your club, as the 501c3 status will then allow them to deduct the value of that donation as a charitable donation. I don't know the situation with your club, but for our club, which has had 501c3 status for many years, this doesn't even occur once per year, and my guess is that most of the donations would have been made even if we didn't have 501c3 status.

      501c3 status was designed for what I call "real nonprofit corporations," organizations such as the Red Cross, private schools, and various foundations. These corporations not only have a board of directors, but a paid staff, and a real mission to serve the community. More often than not, these organizations are head and shoulders above most amateur radio clubs."

      Am I missing something?

      73, Dan KB6NU

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2012
        I second that Motion.