Re: [AmateurRadioLeadership] Re: Open Poll "survey" for 2012 Field Day

  • Bruce Nolte
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2012
      Yahoo groups "Polls" is just an option, that is how I framed it.  And I am sure Survey Monkey is excellent.

      And having 85% of a club's membership in a yahoo group sounds pretty good to me.  And i would guess that in many clubs there are members that do not even use the internet - none of our options address them.

      73
      Bruce N1BN

      Sent from my Cray X-MP

      On Jun 28, 2012, at 3:41 AM, Norman Schklar <norman@...> wrote:

      You're assuming that all to be surveyed are in a certain yahoo group.  Or at minimum have access to the group.

      Of our membership, only maybe 85% are active on the yahoo group.  You probably need to use a membership roster or other data for a more complete survey.

      These are just my thoughts.  I have some good experiences with Survey Monkey, so I'm  tilted that way.

      I reopened an old survey if you care to look.  I'll leave it open for a few days.

      http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QRP-ARCI_Survey

      73

      Norm, WA4ZXV

      On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Bruce Nolte <n1bn@...> wrote:

      Maybe not the horsepower, but the yahoo "polls" is built into yahoo groups already and may offer a "turnkey" option for some.
      73
      Bruce N1BN

      Sent from my Cray X-MP

      On Jun 27, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Norman Schklar <norman@...> wrote:

      Try Survey Monkey.

      A whole different ball game.
      I think you can survey up to 200 for free.
      If  you need help with Survey Monkey, just drop me a note.

      The Yahoo just doesn't seem to have the horsepower.

      Norm Schklar

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2012
        My objection with many surveys, is the absence of options that fit my
        circumstances or my predilections. Many times, there are several
        possible answers to a particular survey question, and none of them fits
        me. I know this is one of the most difficult aspects of survey
        construction, but that is often my pet peeve - there are several
        options, but I don't like any of them.

        Of course, many times the reason is that the particular survey is
        written to accomplish a stated result, or prove a particular point, so
        the options seem to cover the range, but do not. This is my objection
        with many political surveys and with many marketing surveys. I often
        select
        "Other:......(explain)...."

        Another matter that concerns me is the (typically) voluntary
        participation by members in the polled group. If there is substantial
        self-selection, the results may be skewed or unreliable (I studied the
        various mathematical models for determining reliability back in
        college...) I think the real trick is getting good turn out and high
        participation -- and... yeah... getting 85% of one's membership into a
        single discussion group sounds pretty good. If you could get 85% of
        your membership to answer the poll, you would be doing swell.

        Just MY take.