Re: Open Poll "survey" for 2012 Field Day

  • Norman Schklar
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2012
      Try Survey Monkey.
      A whole different ball game.
      I think you can survey up to 200 for free.
      If  you need help with Survey Monkey, just drop me a note.

      The Yahoo just doesn't seem to have the horsepower.

      Norm Schklar

    • Bruce Nolte
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 27, 2012
        Maybe not the horsepower, but the yahoo "polls" is built into yahoo groups already and may offer a "turnkey" option for some.
        73
        Bruce N1BN

        Sent from my Cray X-MP

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2012
          You're assuming that all to be surveyed are in a certain yahoo group.  Or at minimum have access to the group.
          Of our membership, only maybe 85% are active on the yahoo group.  You probably need to use a membership roster or other data for a more complete survey.

          These are just my thoughts.  I have some good experiences with Survey Monkey, so I'm  tilted that way.

          I reopened an old survey if you care to look.  I'll leave it open for a few days.

          http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QRP-ARCI_Survey

          73

          Norm, WA4ZXV

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28, 2012
            Yahoo groups "Polls" is just an option, that is how I framed it.  And I am sure Survey Monkey is excellent.

            And having 85% of a club's membership in a yahoo group sounds pretty good to me.  And i would guess that in many clubs there are members that do not even use the internet - none of our options address them.

            73
            Bruce N1BN

            Sent from my Cray X-MP

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2012
              My objection with many surveys, is the absence of options that fit my
              circumstances or my predilections. Many times, there are several
              possible answers to a particular survey question, and none of them fits
              me. I know this is one of the most difficult aspects of survey
              construction, but that is often my pet peeve - there are several
              options, but I don't like any of them.

              Of course, many times the reason is that the particular survey is
              written to accomplish a stated result, or prove a particular point, so
              the options seem to cover the range, but do not. This is my objection
              with many political surveys and with many marketing surveys. I often
              select
              "Other:......(explain)...."

              Another matter that concerns me is the (typically) voluntary
              participation by members in the polled group. If there is substantial
              self-selection, the results may be skewed or unreliable (I studied the
              various mathematical models for determining reliability back in
              college...) I think the real trick is getting good turn out and high
              participation -- and... yeah... getting 85% of one's membership into a
              single discussion group sounds pretty good. If you could get 85% of
              your membership to answer the poll, you would be doing swell.

              Just MY take.