Re: [AmateurRadioLeadership] RE: Field Day is just around the corner.

  • Norman Schklar
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30 1:20 PM
      We do a lot to promote Field Day here in North Georgia.  Probably 4 major outings and no telling how many smaller ones.  Several counties or cities will proclaim that week as Amateur Radio Week.

      We send press releases to much of the media, and try to get announcements on some of the social web sites.  A big problem I see is convincing our general membership to share the event with their non-ham friends.  With over 200 members in just our club and about 65 at most meetings, if everyone invited one friend or family to come out we would have a much greater impact.  We'll end up with well over 100 members and visitors during the 30 hours or so we're on site.  We'll feed maybe 25 for lunch and 75 for dinner then 15 for breakfast and again 20 or so for lunch on Sunday.  We setup in a public park at a pavilion and put up a separate hospitality tent.

      I guess my question for the group is how do we get the word to the community that we're here if the members seem to be reluctant to invite their acquaintances?

      Good Luck with your Field Day look for W4GR 8A

      Norm Schklar, wa4zxv, Past President, Special Events Chair
      www.gars.org

      On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM, yogithedog.geo <rranta@...> wrote:

      Field Day has always been a good occasion to meet new prospective members and just "Show Off" our club. We try to have what was once called a "Novie" station and slow everything down, so the new folks won't be scared off. We try and have a cook out dinner on either Friday or Saturday and invite the general community. If nothing else, we've shown the community of hams and non-hams that we're here and on the air.