206Re%3A%20Creating%20Strong%20Clubs

  • Raymond Woodward K3VSA
    Feb 2, 2014
      Definitely, treating potential members as if they were customers is a wise idea.  Certainly, when new people show up at a meeting or function, they came there for a reason, and we need to find out what that reason is and see if we cannot fill it.

      What's really sad is that there are often established members who are really not interested in developing new members.  They don't want to take the time or make the effort, and they don't want to get to know new people because "the club is big enough already."  Regardless of the expertise or accomplishments of those members, they are not the ones that new people should be introduced to first (if at all).  It's an interesting aspect of human nature that the impression made by the first three or four people will be the impression that new people get of the club as a whole.  Better that they learn about the curmudgeons after they're in a position to put them in context.

      -Raymond "Woody" Woodward K3VSA
      ARRL Public Information Coordinator for North Carolina
      (an ARRL-trained Public Information Officer)

      http://www.ncarrl-pio.org

      Canst thou send out lightnings, that they may go and say to you, "Here we are?"  - Job 38:35
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic