help identifying a classical

  • cooljj98
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
      Hi,
      I'm new here and just dropping in to try and find out some info on a classical guitar I just picked up from craigslist.
      The guy I got it from doesn't know anything about it besides a friend gave it to him asking if he could do anything with it. He got it with no strings or tuners on it and it sat in his closet for years before he decided he needed some cash and wanted to sell it. His friend got it years ago and it may be pushing 15 or more years old.
      So, I purchased it for a very small price.
      The bad thing is, it is pretty dinged up and is missing the label so I'm having a hard time identifying the model and year. But it is stamped with "Alvarez Handmade" on the center back support near the neck block. The neck block is stamped with "? 310155" where the question mark could be an 8, 5, or an S. It is difficult to tell. It looks most like an 8 to me. Besides those markings, it appears to be a standard classical. The back and sides are rosewood. The top is cedar, and the fretboard and bridge are also rosewood.
      I got some tuners and put them on with some rectified nylon strings I had sitting around. The sound isn't to bad, focused in the bass and mid range with the highs sounding a little weak and dry. Luckily the neck is darn straight. It is in my place getting properly humidified and with some carbon or titianium galli strings, I think it may start to sound better.

      Anyone have any ideas what it could be?
      Thanks in advance,
      CoolJJ

      PS. Pics posted in photos section.
    • yairi_luvr
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
        Hello CoolJJ,

        I can probably tell you what model, but would need better photo's to do it.  I'd need to at least see what the rosette and inlays look like, a photo of the back, one showing the shape of the headstock...if I can make out these area's in the photo, I should be able to give you a model number.

        yl

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
          Okay, never mind the additional photo's, I enlarged those and was able to make out enough to recognize the model.

          It is a 5001 Campanero Classic, it has a cedar top finished an antique shade, fan bracing. Wood marquetry inlay around sound hole; edges are celluloid bound. Back and sides are Rosewood; rosewood fingerboard with nickel silver frets on Nato Mahogany neck. Jacaranda faced headstock has ebony and ivory inlaid center stripe. The machine heads are on engraved plates with butterfly buttons.

          This is an all laminate guitar, but I own quite a few of these old Alvarez and they sound pretty darn good.

          Enjoy!
          yl

        • cooljj98
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
            That's awesome, thanks. You really must know alvarez guitars to be able to tell that from low quality pics.

            Any idea how much these were new and what they are worth now?

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
              I just added two more pics for the heck of it.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2009
                Best I can tell you since I don't really know what year yours was made...think they were made up into the 1980's  1976 the MSRP was $149, by 1982 it was up to $275.  It isn't listed after 1982.   Most of these old laminate Alvarez (if in excellent condition) will go for up to $160 on EBay, less with dents, scratches and cracks.

                Just checked the additional photo's... yep, that is it!

                yl