timesofmalta.com - Attard sprawl

  • info@timesofmalta.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2006
      DO NOT REPLY TO THIS ADDRESS

      Ralph Cassar has sent you an article from the timesofmalta.com website.

      Friday, June 2, 2006

      < Attard sprawl >
      by Ralph Cassar, Attard.

      The permit for the Attard petrol station confirms the fears I and other spokesmen had expressed on behalf of Alternattiva Demokratika as regards uncontrolled urban sprawl and Mepa's procedures which favour developers.

      Although the professional staff at Mepa do their best to put policies into practice, the Mepa board consistently ignores their professional advice. The site on Rabat Road in Attard lies outside the development zone.

      The petrol station is only one development outside Attard's present boundaries. Attard will continue moving at a fast pace towards Ta' Qali when the new development boundaries are approved. The land opposite the petrol station, up to and including the old "spinning and weaving" factory, is earmarked for development.

      Ta' Qali's status as a recreation area is also threatened by the infamous huge tent structure on public land and a commercial fair ground, again on public land, on the Mosta side of Ta' Qali. The government is ruining Ta' Qali and to add insult to injury is at the same time boasting of opening a recreation area and park on, of all places, Maghtab rubbish dump among tonnes of toxic waste! All this in a country which is already overbuilt, with a large percentage of buildings which are unoccupied and with a lack of open public spaces.

      I wish to extend my solidarity towards the Attard residents who have lodged an appeal about the petrol station with Mepa, for their persistence; they have soldiered on even though the system is biased in favour of other more powerful interests.

      This article may also be viewed at http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=225964