Dawn Uses

  • Boonight@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 30, 2012
      Dawn Dishwashing Liquid - Uses -
      Clear a clogged drain. Boil three to four tablespoons Dawn Dishwashing
      Liquid in a pan full of water, and carefully pour the heated mixture down the
      drain of the kitchen sink. The solution dissolves most kitchen sink clogs
      because Dawn breaks down grease.

      Clean soap scum from a bathtub. Pour Dawn Dishwashing Liquid on the
      stained area, let sit overnight, and rinse clean with water. Dawn Dishwashing
      Liquid cuts through grease and cleans older tubs without harming the finish.

      Wash a car. Mix one teaspoon Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and one gallon water,
      and use the soapy solution to wash your car. Dawn cuts through grease and
      also removes some or all of the protective wax, so you'll also have to
      re-wax the car.
      Clean Automotive tools. Soak them in a solution of Dawn dishwashing liquid
      before you put them away to remove all the oil and grime. As a bonus Dawn
      will help prevent rust from forming on the tools.

      Make your own household cleanser for walls and floors. Add one-half
      teaspoon Dawn dishwashing liquid, one-half cup 20 Mule Team Borax, and one
      teaspoon ammonia to two gallons warm water.
      Clean grease stains from clothes. Rub a few drops of Dawn Dishwashing
      Liquid into the grease stain and then launder as usual. Dawn cuts through
      grease.

      Wash windows. To make a powerful window cleanser, mix one teaspoon Dawn
      Dishwashing Liquid and one teaspoon Kingsford Corn Starch in one gallon water.
      Saturate a clean cloth with the sudsy water, wash the window with it, and
      dry with a clean cloth. The cornstarch prevents streaks.

      Repel insects from houseplants. Put a drop of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid in a
      spray bottle, fill the rest of the bottle with water, shake well, and mist
      your household plants with the soapy water.

      Kill ants, wasps, or cockroaches. Pour one teaspoon Dawn Dishwashing
      Liquid into a sixteen-ounce plastic trigger-spray bottle, fill the rest of the
      bottle with water, shake well, and spray the ants with the non-toxic soapy
      solution. The soap penetrates their exoskeleton almost instantly, killing
      the pests.

      Make cleaning up after painting a snap. Before starting a paint job, rub a
      dollop of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid straight from the bottle over your hands
      and arms, and let dry. When you're finished painting, any paint will wash
      right off your skin.

      Clean tiles. Mix equal parts Dawn Dishwashing Liquid and Epsom Salt, apply
      the gritty paste to grimy tiles, and scrub with a brush. The Epsom Salt
      gives the dishwashing liquid abrasiveness.

      Clean food stains from clothes. Mix two teaspoons Dawn Dishwashing Liquid,
      two teaspoons Heinz White Vinegar, and two quarts warm water. Use the
      solution to wash food stains from clothes.

      Wash windows. To make a powerful window cleanser, mix one teaspoon Dawn
      Dishwashing Liquid and one teaspoon Kingsford Corn Starch in one gallon
      water. Saturate a clean cloth with the sudsy water, wash the window with it, and
      dry with a clean cloth. The cornstarch prevents streaks.

      Clean a barbecue grill. Mix up a solution of one-half cup Dawn Dishwashing
      Liquid and one gallon water. Place the grease-coated barbecue grill inside
      a Glad Trash Bag, pour the soapy solution over the rack inside the bag,
      seal the bag shut, and let sit overnight. The following day, scrub the rack
      with a wire brush and rinse clean.

      Find a puncture in a car, truck, or bicycle tire. Mix a few drops of Dawn
      Dishwashing Liquid with water, and brush the soapy solution on a leaky
      tire. The bubbles will indicate the exact location of the puncture. Also, be
      sure to check around the tire valve.

      Clean brake dust from car wheels. Mix a few drops of Dawn Dishwashing
      Liquid in a bucket of water, sponge down the wheels with the solution, and then
      rinse clean with water. The dishwashing detergent cuts through grease.

      Prevent insects from entering your home. Squeeze out a line of Dawn
      Dishwashing Liquid around the jamb of an entry door or the frame of a window.
      Invading insects-like beetles, ants, and silverfish-will crawl into get stuck
      in the soap. Then you just wash away the line of soap with a hose.

      Clean milk stains from clothes. Squirt a dab of Dawn dishwashing liquid on
      the stain, scrub it with a clean, used Oral-B Toothbrush, and then toss
      the garment in your regular wash.

      Prevent eyeglasses from fogging up. Rub a drop of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid
      on eyeglasses, and then wipe them clean leaving a thin film to prevent them
      from fogging up.

      Dawn liquid for an emergency de-skunking treatment! The home remedy is as
      follows: 1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide - 1/4 cup natural baking soda
      (sodium bicarbonate) - 1 teaspoon Dawn dish detergent. Wet the dog and work
      the mixture through the coat. Leave lather on for about ten minutes, and
      then rinse thoroughly. Discard any leftover remedy as it becomes combustible
      when stored in a closed container.

      Kill fleas in carpeting. Pour one tablespoon Dawn Dishwashing Liquid into a
      sixteen-ounce trigger spray bottle, fill the rest of the bottle with
      water, shake well, and spray the carpet, upholstery, and floors. The soap dries
      up the insects, killing them almost instantly. Let sit for fifteen minutes,
      and then wipe the floors with a damp towel and vacuum the carpet.

      Kill fleas on a dog. The dishwashing liquid destroys the fleas'
      exoskeletons, killing them. Take a capful of Original Dawn Dish Liquid soap and a
      small amount of water. Lather him up all over, start at the neck down
      (lathering the neck first must be done very quickly), or the fleas will crawl into
      your dog’s nose and ears in an attempt to escape. Make sure you don't get
      any in his ears and eyes and don't let him lick it. Keep him lathered for 5
      minutes. During this time, you can use a flea comb to remove any fleas left
      on him. Once the dog is rinsed, towel dry him and use the flea comb again
      to _remove fleas_ (http://www.vetinfo.com/dog-tick-removal-tips.html) , if
      there are any, that survived the shampoo.

      Homemade Dog Flea Shampoo Recipe that leaves your dog's coat shiny at the
      end, try this recipe: Mix a cup each of the following - Organic Apple cider
      vinegar - Dye-free, unscented liquid dish soap - Filtered water. Pour the
      mixture into a bottle and use in the same way you would use the Dawn soap.
      Make sure you leave the suds on for five minutes before rinsing , to ensure
      the fleas have ample time to suffocate.

      Another Homemade dog shampoo slightly different. You should mix together a
      pint of liquid dishwashing soap (Ivory, Dawn or Dove are gentle enough), a
      pint of water, a pint of organic apple cider vinegar and 4 ounces of
      natural vegetable glycerine, like the Now Foods brand. Combine the ingredients
      until everything is mixed together well. Keep it in an airtight, easy to pour
      container and clearly label it. You can use one of your old shampoo
      bottles if you like.

      Diane

    • ginrosemom
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
        Thank you for this. I only left the Dawn on my tub for about 20 minutes and I have never cleaned the tub that easy or fast before. No scrubbing at all just wipe it off. I will have to try the rest of these uses out too.

        Virginia
      • Shelia Chughtai
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012

          Virginia:

          Dawn cleans really well.   I use a diluted version for cleaning and keeping bugs off my plants.

          Shelia

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
            Virginia and others,
            I've been making all my own soaps, cleaners, skin products, etc, but I can't let
            go of Dawn. :)
            One of my most favorite spray cleaners is 1/2 Dawn and 1/2 vinegar.  Just shake
            and use, fabulous cleaner for showers, shower doors, tile, floors, counter tops,
            sinks, etc.  GREAT ! !

            Hope you'll try it sometime.

            Sandy

            What will you do today that is extraordinary? Plan it. Think it through. And do
            it. All the angels in heaven are waiting. And even if you 'fail', it will have
            been an extraordinary effort. That qualifies as extraordinary.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2012
              Thanks again, I definately will try that. I buy Dawn alot (which bugs my daughter Dawn, lol) but never thought to use it for other things.

              Virginia

            • Jennifer W
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 6, 2012
                Will Dawn get soap scum off?

              • Sandy Ingersoll
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
                  Jennifer,
                  It comes off very easily with a mixture of equal parts vinegar and Dawn.  That's
                  the only commercially prepared product I use.  I make all my own soaps,
                  moisturizers, deodorants, cleaners of all kinds, even laundry soaps.  But, I
                  still buy Dawn for a couple things.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
                    I absolutely have fallen in love with the All Purpose Mix of: 1/2 dawn & 1/2 vinegar !!! Will get almost anything up with less elbow grease(:

                    DeAnna Michelle

                    "Be who you are and be that well." - Saint Francis de Sales -

                    “When I come to the edge of all the light I know, and am about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: either there will be something solid to stand on or i will be taught how to fly.” -Wise Woman Barbara J. Winter, Writer-

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
                      Yes. Take a spray bottle and fill it halfway with white vinegar. Heat
                      vinegar in the microwave then pour it back into the spray bottle. Fill the rest
                      of the spray bottle with blue Dawn. Put cap on and shake to mix well.
                      Spray on your tub and shower walls. Allow to sit for a several minutes and
                      rinse away. It will totally melt all the gunk, scum slime, sludge and other
                      stuff that builds up including a bathtub ring.

                      Diane

                      In a message dated 9/7/2012 10:04:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      chasinthesun86@... writes:

                      Will Dawn get soap scum off?

                    • Boonight@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 9, 2012
                        The Dawn mixture is also a lot cheaper the commercial store cleaners.

                        Diane

                        In a message dated 9/8/2012 7:24:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        deanna_michelle_muecke@... writes:

                        I absolutely have fallen in love with the All Purpose Mix of: 1/2 dawn &
                        1/2 vinegar !!! Will get almost anything up with less elbow grease(:

                        DeAnna Michelle

                      • Doug Yelmen
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 9, 2012
                          i've started using vinegar to get my dark clothes and towels smelling like they have been washed at all (along with baking soda added to detergent).
                          i just bought a thermos for coffee from REI, and the first thing i did was wash it with vinegar.
                          i also used vinegar and baking soda to get a stink out of kitchen sink.

                          doug
                          Doug Yelmen
                          dougyelmen@...

                          I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things." ~ Henri Matisse

                        • Boonight@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 10, 2012
                            Yes vinegar and baking soda has many uses. I use baking soda in my wash
                            too. I am allergic to scented fragrances. I even bring in a natural
                            unscented pet shampoo for my groomer to use. I make a disinfectant spray of
                            hydrogen peroxide, listerine and water. To unclog my tub I used baking soda and
                            hydrogen peroxide and all the sludge came up and unclogged the drain.

                            Diane

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 10, 2012
                              excellent. printing up for future use.