Re: itching! / real soap

  • Joy Rex
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2012
      I would suggest stop using all commercial "soaps" and other
      commercial products, and use real, natural soap, and real natural
      oils. If you use truly all-natural soap, you very well might not need
      any additional "moisturizers". The vast majority of "soap" you find
      in the stores is not soap at all, but petroleum detergents with a lot
      of dangerous, untested synthetic fragrances and other chemicals.
      Ivory is actually soap, but they remove the glycerin to sell it
      separately, so they can make more money, and it is very, very drying
      to the skin. Dove is soap, with chemicals added.

      Shortly after I started making and using real soap (fun to make!), my
      skin just flat stopped being dry. Where I used to have to apply some
      kind of moisturizer every day in the winter to keep my skin from
      being painfully dry and itchy, I might have to use a little bit of
      olive oil once during the winter, just on my legs where pants chafe.

      If you don't want to makes soap, there's probably a Farmer's Market
      nearby where you can buy it, or of course online.

      good luck
      Joy

    • Rita Childers
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 14, 2012
        Thank you Joy.....I may even try making the soap....always wanted to try it.
        Appreciate the info!
        Rita

        >________________________________

      • Lucia
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2012
          Joy, would you mind sharing your soap recipe with the group, or me, on my personal address? I also make soap but am still looking for a good recipe, to make it my regular.

          My best,
          Lucia

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 29, 2012
            Joy,
            I would be interested in your recipe, too.  I've been making cold process soap,
            but you have to wait 6 wks to cure before you use it.  Hot process and castile
            you don't have to wait.  there are a couple websites that can do the
            calculations and explains the different properties of the oils, whether they're
            sudsing, moisturizing, hardness, conditioning, etc.  Try www.soapcalc.net and
            you'll be able to change your recipe depending on what oils you have on hand.
            I'll be taking the hot process class soon, tho.  Hope this makes some sense and
            is helpful.
            Sandy

            What will you do today that is extraordinary? Plan it. Think it through. And do
            it. All the angels in heaven are waiting. And even if you 'fail', it will have
            been an extraordinary effort. That qualifies as extraordinary.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 30, 2012
              ... but of course a "good recipe" will be different for everybody. I
              just re-read your posts and realized you two already make soap. Well,
              hopefully there will be other people who will try making soap :-)
            • europanz
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 2012
                I use Sunlight soap and I don`t have any more problems with itching. Its gentle and has no perfumes. I buy it in the laundry section of the supermarket.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 15, 2012
                  Thank you Lucia,  I appreciate the info!
                  Rita