Dessicated thyroid

  • mds783
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2012
      I was wondering if anyone had any experience with dessicated thyroid supplements as to whether they really work. I was reading about a brand called Nutri Meds which offers either bovine or porcine sources of thyroid.

      Any advice would be appreciated.

      Martha
    • Cynthia
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2012
        Martha wrote: I was wondering if anyone had any experience with dessicated
        thyroid supplements as to whether they really work. I was reading about a
        brand called Nutri Meds which offers either bovine or porcine sources of
        thyroid Any advice would be appreciated.

        Martha,

        I have had hypothyroidism for 25+ years and for much of that time was
        subjected to Synthroid or Syncrap as I call it. During that period, I was
        never at optimal health and suffered many years with the symptoms of thyroid
        issues. About five years ago I finally, through ACAM found an MD who also
        practices Alternative Medicine and today I am on the top of the world health
        wise. I was put on Nature-Throid 65mg, a natural desiccated pig thyroid,
        along with Cytomel for the treatment of the T3 issues. I can’t say enough
        good about the natural thyroid treatments, such as Nature-throid and Armour.
        I am not familiar with Nutri Meds, so cannot address that particular one.
        BTW is that something OTC or a prescription?

        It did take some time to reach the proper dosage, but today I am really
        feeling fantastic, get up at 5am, walk four miles, come home and put in a
        full day caring for a 3,000 sq ft home with ½ acre bedded yard. I lost all
        the weight that was a results of improper treatment and looking at my labs,
        you would think I was a 30 year old which is a long way from 71. Having
        the right medication is no more important than also having the right Dr who
        knows everything about thyroid treatment. Just looking at a TSH lab result,
        does not give you the whole picture. You need to be checked for T4, T3,
        Reverse T3 etc and you need a Dr that does not treat on labs alone. You can
        test labs until the cows come home but if you are not listening to the
        complaints of the patient, you will never reach a level of health. Just
        having a lab return with normal levels, does not guarantee the patient is at
        an optimal level of treatment. Hope some of this helps.

        Abundant Blessings,

        Cynthia

      • Mair MacKinnon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2012
          Hi Martha,

          I put my clients on a combo of Standard Process Thythrophin PMG and homeopathic thyroidinum, and that works like a charm! I also take this combo, as I was on regular thyroid medication for about 10 years and it works very well. I don't know the brand you're thinking of taking, but yes, desiccated thyroid works very well, to answer your question.

          Mair MacKinnon, N.D.
          http://web.me.com/mairmackinnon

        • Elizabeth Laskonis
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 29, 2012
            Good advice, but, you also need to be checked for a problem in the Hypothalamus / Thalamus brain and also the Pituitary.  Since the
            brain talks to the Pituitary and it talks to the thyroid, this is an important part of it, not just the thyroid alone.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 30, 2012
              isn't there a problem with liver from animals? Who knows what drugs, antibiotics growth enhancers
              and pesticides they have eaten? Did you know that animals concentrate environmental pollution
              by a factor of 10x.
              Would you really want to eat that?
              David