Essential Oils For Your Yoga Practice

  • Andrew Pacholyk
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2011
      Good Morning!

      Essential Oils For Your Yoga Practice

      Essential oils are the pure essence of plants, extracted for their healing, cleansing and magical properties. The olfactory nerves in the brain work by transporting us, encouraging us or relaxing us through the power of scent. In order to benefit from all the rich aspects essential oils have to offer, it is important to look at each structural source as an individual and unique frame of reference. The therapeutic "signature" of each plant, tree or fruit, is its essence, or essential oil.

      Essential oils in yoga have so many uses, on and off the mat. I have a core group I recommend such as eucalyptus, juniper, lavender, orange, rosemary, rosewood, tea tree, thyme ...These essential oils work as a calmative, an antiseptic, diuretic and infection fighter. These select oils are simply a jumping point for you to start discovering these wonderful "scent tools".

      Eucaluptus: This oil is best know as a decongestant for colds. Powerful antibacterial and antiviral. Good for use in rheumatism pain. Promotes cell regeneration and regulates the oiliness of the skin. Increases circulation and helps stabilize blood sugar.

      On the mat: add 25 drops of eucalyptus oil to a spray bottle with 4 ounces of water. Shake and spray your yoga mat to clean and disinfectant your mat after class. Off the mat: add 30 drops of eucalyptus oil to 2 tablespoons of carrier oil (jojoba, vegetable, olive oil). Massage into stiff joints.

      Juniper: This oil is an antiseptic, diuretic and fights infection. Excellent for its detoxification properties. A good oil for skin conditions such as eczema and dermatitis. Warning: Avoid during pregnancy. Activates the kidneys. Consult your healthcare provider with kidney problems.

      On the mat: Inhale this stimulating oil directly out of the bottle. One nostril then the other, before class to encourage a more focused and energized practice. Off the mat: add 20 drops of eucalyptus oil to 2 tablespoons of carrier oil (jojoba, vegetable, olive oil). Massage into any small eczema patches, dermatitis or heat rash.

      Lavender: This oil is an amazing therapeutic oil. Stimulates new cell growth, lifts depression, calms nerves, fights infection, reduces inflammation, and eases congestion. Relieves pain and muscle spasm. Lowers blood pressure.

      On the mat: add 15 drops of eucalyptus oil to a misting bottle with 2 ounces of water. Shake and spray over face and Crown Chakra for a restorative end of practice meditation or Savasana. Off the mat: 100 uses including massage oil, de-stresser oil, room refreshener.

      Orange: Stimulates lymphatic circulation, improves immunity, fights infection, reduces inflammation, relieves muscle spasm, eases digestive disorders. Cools fever and warms chills, calms nerves, diminishes depression. Warning: may irritate skin, promote photosensitivity. Avoid going in the sun while using this oil.

      On the mat: add 15 drop of orange oil to a cloth and massage into your yoga mat. Removes residue and negativity! Off the mat: add 20 drops of orange oil to a spray bottle with 4 ounces of water. Shake and spray in any room in your house. Increases conversation, stimulates prana energy and lifts depression!

      Rosemary: Stimulates the adrenal glands, circulatory system, liver, gallbladder, promotes nerve health, improves the functioning of the heart and nervous system. Tones and tightens the skin, regulates oil secretion, fights infection, joint pain, muscle spasms, and eases digestive orders. Warning: This oil may trigger epileptic seizures in prone individuals, may irritate sensitive skin. Avoid if you have high blood pressure.

      On the mat: Massage 10 drops of this oil into your abdomen and 3 drops into your temples, right before class. Improves circulation, focus and awareness. Off the mat: Add 15 drops rosemary oil into 2 tablespoons of carrier oil (jojoba, vegetable, olive oil). Massage oil over ankles and arms using upward strokes toward the heart to boost circulation.

      Rosewood: helps relieve pain, fights infection, diminishes depression, stimulates the brain, clears the head, improves immunity, helps skin disorders, and stimulates sexual desire.

      On the mat: This is a wonderful oil to diffuse during class time. Add 15 drops to an electric or candle diffuser and let the scent permeate the room. Off the mat: Add 10 drops rosewood oil into 2 tablespoons of carrier oil (jojoba, vegetable, olive oil). Massage into ligaments and muscles after a long, hard class.

      Tea tree: fights infection, and fungi, soothes skin disorders, and heals wounds. Releases mucous, relieves respiratory congestion. Increases immunity. Kills insects. Excellent for foot, nail fungus, athlete's foot. Warning: May be irritating to sensitive skin.

      On the mat: This is a fantastic oil to cleanse your mat with. Add 20 drops of tea tree oil to a spray bottle with 4 ounces of water. Shake and spray your yoga mat to clean and disinfectant after class. Off the mat: Massage a few drops of tea tree oil directly to your feet and nails, about an hour before bedtime.

      Thyme: fights infection, improves immunity, eases pain of arthritis, eases muscle pain, improves digestion, and relieves urinary tract infection and respiratory ailments. Improves circulation, elevates coughs, improves lung function. Overcomes emotional fatigue, nervousness, and stress, regulates oiliness of skin, regulates skin disorders. Warning: Avoid during pregnancy, or if you have hyperthyroidism, or high blood pressure. Can irritate or sensitize skin and mucous membranes, stimulates menstrual flow.

      On the mat: This is another great oil to diffuse during class time. Add 10 drops thyme oil to an electric or candle diffuser and let the scent permeate the room. Primarily used for respiratory issues, it works as a great air freshener. Off the mat: Add 3-5 drops of oil to a cup of water and massage into cuts, bruises or to disinfect a wounds.

      Andrew Pacholyk, MS L.Ac
      http://www.peacefulmind.com/sanskrit.htm
      Therapies for healing
      mind, body, spirit
    • sandyhardy46
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2011
        Great info Andrew Pacholyk,

        thanks,
        Sandy M.Hardy
        http://womensyogamats.com

        --- In AlternativeAnswers@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Pacholyk" <yogiguruji@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >

        > Thyme: fights infection, improves immunity, eases pain of arthritis, eases muscle pain, improves digestion, and relieves urinary tract infection and respiratory ailments. Improves circulation, elevates coughs, improves lung function. Overcomes emotional fatigue, nervousness, and stress, regulates oiliness of skin, regulates skin disorders. Warning: Avoid during pregnancy, or if you have hyperthyroidism, or high blood pressure. Can irritate or sensitize skin and mucous membranes, stimulates menstrual flow.
        >
        > On the mat: This is another great oil to diffuse during class time. Add 10 drops thyme oil to an electric or candle diffuser and let the scent permeate the room. Primarily used for respiratory issues, it works as a great air freshener. Off the mat: Add 3-5 drops of oil to a cup of water and massage into cuts, bruises or to disinfect a wounds.

      • Andrew Pacholyk